how to replace headlight bulb (SLS 2002) - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, how to replace headlight bulb (SLS 2002) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by old_school they did not have the retainers for the plastic radiator sight shield in the store but ...
    Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: how to replace headlight bulb (SLS 2002)

Quote Originally Posted by old_school View Post
    they did not have the retainers for the plastic radiator sight shield in the store but they said they can order it for me they want $27.50 for all 6 retainers
    For that kind of money you can get at least 2 boxes of 25 from Fastenal.

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Three

Post #9

NinetyNineSLS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 SLS

I needed some of those plastic rivets for my 99. I went to a parts store in town and got them for 20 or 30 cents apiece. They had drawers full of this type stuff. Shout out to Karstedts Hamburg Auto Parts. Old school type store. They have the little stuff like this that saved me a lot of time running around and hassle more than once. If you have an Carquest affiliated auto parts store nearby go look there. Just a thought.

Paul London is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '98 Seville STS

Wish I'd had this info. when I did mine a couple of weeks ago - prompted by the fact the headights were dreadful (& dip/lo's not much better now) I go 2 pairs of uprated bulbs for £11.95 (- 15% discount) so, say, $16.75 each (I'd seen the price in US parts supermarkets - so jumped at them). Converted parking lights to LED while I was at it - brilliant (in both senses of the word).

However my pleasure was short lived because I lost 2 of those plastic (screw type) fastners & most of the others came out damaged - & couldn't find anything like them from any source: they're much longer than anything similar available here! So I left that panel off. Friday evening I'm going away for the week-end & find that pulley's nicked the hose. Good thing is that on my last American trip I found a pack of hose repair pipes in a bargain bin in some truck stop. Always on the lookout when I'm away for things I can't get at home, they were small, light - & $3.99 - so they flew home with me! Absolute Godsend because, even if a top hose was readily available, replacing looks well nigh impossible - certainly without major dismantling.

I've since got a couple of replacement fixings that are, just, long enough so the panel went back on when I got to my destination.

Lesson learned - the hard way, of course! I'll be back in the States at the end of the month & a handfull of those fixings will be on my shopping list - where should I look for them, & if I have to ask for them, what are they called?

b-t-w, my headlights are marked Europe/Japan, now UK/Japan I could understand, as we both drive on the left but the rest of Europe drive on the right - so how/why are they different? I was told a big problem with these cars is that UK spec lights aren't avaiable but the US ones look the same, the only difference seems to be that our cornering lights are dummies!

Your entire lens and light distribution patterns are different from LHD vehicles. There IS a difference - a big one - the low beam pattern, for starters.

Your low beams are concentrated to the middle and left of the road; LHD is to the middle and right, and it's not just the aiming screws.

Look for a Fastenal store. The stock number for the retainers has been posted 3 times in the past week - Post #9 here ........

I'd expect the lenses to be different (as thery are with more conventional lights) but these are clear1? None of which explains why mine are marked Europe/Japan, as one is LHD & the other RHD (as I said, I could understand if they were, e.g. UK/Japan - or why European ones are different from the home market ones, unless they, very cleverly, retain assymetrical dip.

I have to say this forum is as much a learning curve as running the car, so I'm sorry if I jumped in too quick, without trawling back through the thread. However I'm grateful for the info. I've noted the part #'s & checked out the website to find Fastenal stores in Little Rock (the only place I'm staying longer than overnight on this trip), all in a form I can print off, along with my itinerary, flight details, hotel reservations, etc.

Look at my lens covers for the 9005/9006 bulbs. Clear. It's the reflector/projector optics - not the protective cover.

The facets in front of/beside the parking lights, cornering and turn signals are for dispersion - no direct/focused beams desired there.

Where else on the Continent is RHD/left lane in use ?? ........... or is GB the holdout ? (GB, India, Cambodia, Malaysia, S. African states ???)......... and it looks as if Japan is the fly in the ointment, lens-wise.

If you look through the RPO list for the Seville there are 4 different RPOs listed for headlamps - and two of them list a "Rule of the Road" as the qualifier. Wonder what that entails ?

Hmmmm - well I'm still as confused as ever!

Hadn't even noticed there were protective covers: as both they & the lenses are clear it's not exactly obvious (& I thought I'd examined mine quite closely).

Only other European states that drive on the left are Eire & Malta/Gozo (as for r-o-w, it's not just India but the whole of the Indian sub-continent, S. Africa for sure, probably the rest of southern Africa + plus any other African states that were previously British colonies but I can't comment on the Far East except for Japan).

Perhaps I should explain the reason I raised this issue, (natural curiosity apart) was I was informed that STS's are being written-off here for minor collision damage because bumpers & lights are unavailable - & the US ones won't fit as a cutionary tale not to spend too much on one - as they are all only a mionor traffic shunt away from scrap. Seems that's not so & there are several imported vehicles here for which there are no RHD headlights & that's an easy fix - with a bit of insulating tape!

b-t-w: my info. was only Canadian cars have d-r-l's but, again, that seems not to be the case. I'll have to try a fuse in "24" - & see if, abra cadabra, I have that feature!

Fuse 24 in our cars (2002, anyway) is DRL and DRL only. Pull it, no DRL, and it affects nothing else. Mine has been removed for almost 8 years............ and my expensive PIAA Intense White + #9005s are as bright as ever - being used at night only.

The polycarbonate clear face has no optical value for the high and low beams. Yes, it is faceted and diffuses the other bulb light. The internal silvered reflectors are the beam shaping factor.

DJP1990 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Seville STS 136k Miles / 95 Volkswagen Polo 6n

I'll have to try a fuse in "24" - & see if, abra cadabra, I have that feature!
    Let me know how it works out! I have been wondering the same thing for mine!

Also, I think the Euro-spec headlights are different. As we seem to use other bulbs then the US-spec headlights. Also, while searching GMpartsgiant, you can see that the US-spec lights can be dissamembled as where the EU-Spec lights seem to come as one piece? Correct me if I'm wrong though

The U.S. headlamp assemblies (at least from 98 on) are essentially "one piece", being factory sealed and not intended to be taken apart.

Too busy getting to grips with rear brakes to investigate the fuse box - but I suspect the difference is in the model year because while by 2002 it was simply a question of fuse or no fuse, the earlier ones were market model specific so the Canadian ones (& probably those for Scadinavia, Italy & Slovenia) had the feature.

The bulbs are the same but we give them different names/numbers!

I think up to '96/97 the lamp units were different: there were 2 Sevilles, side by side, I saw at a show in Holland, one was imported from USA, the other from Japan (if my very limited Dutch didn't let me down) so had European style lights & they were quite different (front AND back!)

We have had inquiry about the Euro tail light assemblies - with the rear fog lamps. U.S. versions use a two-filament bulb in that location - but only one filament is wired.

Did you know that the Japanese STS came with power folding outside mirrors ? Yep - press a button on the armrest window panel and the mirrors 'feather' back against the door; press again, out they go.

DJP1990 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Seville STS 136k Miles / 95 Volkswagen Polo 6n

Not only the Japanese ones, european ones aswell... Mine got the power folding mirrors, headlamp washers, rear fogs, less 'thicker' bumpers, analog tv tuner (useless now-a-days), aux-in inside the glovebox.

I still do wonder though, if it would be plug and play... There is a dummy fuse in 24...

Would figure that the wiring diagrams would be different for export and domestic ones. Also on the print-out from compnine it said something like:
    Daytime Running Lamps -- Deleted
    Cornering lamps -- Deleted

I wonder if the 24 "fuse" is simply a hollow shell and/or there's a missing relay. DRL is the high beams relay-set to series voltage operation - the bulbs glow at about 2/3 brightness. DRL operate when the stick is in a gear - not in N or P.

For the 98 and later U.S. models a simple "DRL delete" is to pull Fuse 24 in the underhood box.

Here's our Stateside high beam diagram ............. use your 'view' tab to zoom in.
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.