how to replace headlight bulb (SLS 2002) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, how to replace headlight bulb (SLS 2002) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by curtc Look at the outside of the headlight lens. You will either see HB4 or D1S embossed ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: how to replace headlight bulb (SLS 2002)

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    Look at the outside of the headlight lens. You will either see HB4 or D1S embossed in the plastic. HB4 for halogen, D1S for HID.
    I knew someone posted that just a few months ago and I looked all over hell for it because I could not remember the designations. Thanks for posting that Curt.

old_school is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS

just got done replaceing both low beam #9006 it was pretty easy thanks all for the help just replace for now both low beams with brighter ones on my sls 02 the plastic radiator sight shield had the 6 screw type retainers holding it down not the push retainers and they look to be holding the plastic radiator sight shield pretty well down but they were broken they would not screws out had to pull then off need to replace theses retainers tomorrow but the job was realy easy i did had a problem puting back one of the headlight becaues theres a plastic little hole on the car and the headlight has a sharp little metal rod on side that goes into that plastic little hole on the metal off the car but it was crack were would i find theses to replace them looks like it can be pulled off and replace

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    IIRC, there's a plastic insert in the hole. Is the insert cracked, or is the piece around it cracked?

The insert would be dealer only, and you might have to buy a minimum amount of they don't have any (20/25?). Honestly though, the two bolts are more than enough to keep it in.
    old_school likes this.

Hi MoistCabbage i dont know what IIRC is but from what i saw looks to be the piece around the front thats cracked thats why i had a little hard time puting that headlight back on caues the sharp little metal rod on side would not go in well and it was not leting me tighten one of the bolts becaues it was not lining correct

edit : can i find the retainers for the plastic radiator sight shield in most auto store or would this also be a dealer only

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Locate a Fastenal store. https://www.fastenal.com/web/locations
    old_school likes this.

Or any parts store.

IIRC - If I Recall Correctly.
    old_school likes this.

ok thanks all for the help there a fastenal close to me i will pick-up some retainers today didn't know if to start other thread or just ask here any of you all know best way of cleaning the car engine i got this car about 2 years ago i got it from a used car dealerships the car engine was realy clean would love to get it back the way it was but i have never clean a car engine befor dont want to mess up things

Simple Green and lots of rags.
    old_school likes this.

ok thanks MoistCabbage i was thinking of useing some kind of engine degreaser and hoesing it down with the water hose am glad i ask first did not want to wet the engine dont know if this would of been a bad idea but the simple green looks good and lots of rags safer way

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by old_school View Post
    can i find the retainers for the plastic radiator sight shield in most auto store or would this also be a dealer only
    Post #9 has all the details. A GM dealer - any GM dealer - will absolutely rape you on the cost of those plastic retainer pins. Even on the Help! racks at parts stores the damn things are ??? 2 for $3 ???

Nope - don't spray/hose a Northstar. Too much stuff hanging out in the breeze, too much stuff impossible to cover with plastic sheet -- and the starter is under the intake manifold in the valley - which makes a very nice bathtub because the intake manifold is dry (no coolant) and you can actually see into the valley in several places - each of which will dutifully allow water to run into the valley. The alternator is in a lousy location also.

A sore back, Windex, ArmorAll, rags, brushes, dedication.
    old_school likes this.

just got back from the store i got the simple green and armorall and like 10 rags hopefully enough rags i also went to the fastenal store by my house they did not have the retainers for the plastic radiator sight shield in the store but they said they can order it for me they want $27.50 for all 6 retainers seems like alot of money for theses delicate retainers which are broken really easy and looks to crack with time and from the engine heat

oldstuff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 66 convert-93-96-97-97-99 Eldorados

I would be very carefull with Simple Green.
    Had a friend that was cleaning a cadillac with it and was interupted for a day, when he returned to work on his car he found the bottle that he left on the trunk lid had tipped over. The sprayer had leaked a small stream that ran down the lid. Left a very clean strip with no paint.
    Make sure you rinse it off without to much delay.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Simple Green and lots of rags.

----------

Roam around the local junk yard and collect a pocker full for nothing, usually if you show them to the counter man he will just wave you off.
    Dave

just got back from the store i got the simple green and armorall and like 10 rags hopefully enough rags i also went to the fastenal store by my house they did not have the retainers for the plastic radiator sight shield in the store but they said they can order it for me they want $27.50 for all 6 retainers seems like alot of money for theses delicate retainers which are broken really easy and looks to crack with time and from the engine heat
    old_school likes this.

sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts
    I have hb3 and hid , I'm assuming the hb3 us the daytime running lights.ouch those hid are expensive.

----------

I don't even use the retainers for the sight shield on my car, it stays on pretty good once you slip the lip over the hose and those two things sticking up behind each headlight (the hood supports I think)

Quote Originally Posted by sts 03
    I have hb3 and hid
    Then you have an aftermarket HID kit.

I'm assuming the hb3 us the daytime running lights.
    The DRLs are the high beam (9005) bulbs running at half voltage/intensity.

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Someone is grossly misinformed. See my earlier post on the retainers - they're $8.xx for a box of 25 at Fastenal - the GM P/N and Fastenal SKU is in the post. You can also find them in 2s and 4s - blister packs - at parts stores on the Help! racks.

I have a literal pile of the things - wish I had saved the box so you could show the clerk a picture. They're made by AuVeCo, an OLD automotive trim fastener and weatherstrip company - OLD - as in about 1917. Google "AuVeCo".

Here you go, guys - it's easy ..............

http://www.auveco.com/
    old_school likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.