91 Seville Remote entry issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 91 Seville Remote entry issues in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, So I've had my Cadillac for a little over a year and I figure it's time I asked ...
    JonnyW is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Seville STS

Question 91 Seville Remote entry issues

Hey guys, So I've had my Cadillac for a little over a year and I figure it's time I asked someone about this. (Also, I looked and didn't see any previous threads but if I'm reposting a question please let me know and point me in the direction of the answer.)

When I bought my car, I was unaware that it had a remote entry system installed, as a remote was not included with the keys. It became apparent only when someone used their remote to lock their car and my car doors all unlocked. I've found no pattern as to what remotes work or don't, but it seems that a wide spectrum of people have this effect. It's especially worrying when my doors all unlock as I'm driving down the street. I've located the remote entry module and, in an attempt to fix the issue, tried unplugging all the wires from the box. Apparently, the non-remote functions for the power doors, trunk, etc. also route through the box, so I had to plug them all back in. My questions: Why do so many remotes work on this receiver? Would programming a remote to the receiver fix this issue? If not, is there a way to bypass the remote part so no remotes work on my car?

It may also be worth noting that it is (I'm 99.9% certain) a factory-installed remote system.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: 91 Seville Remote entry issues

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyW View Post
    Hey guys, So I've had my Cadillac for a little over a year and I figure it's time I asked someone about this. (Also, I looked and didn't see any previous threads but if I'm reposting a question please let me know and point me in the direction of the answer.)

When I bought my car, I was unaware that it had a remote entry system installed, as a remote was not included with the keys. It became apparent only when someone used their remote to lock their car and my car doors all unlocked. I've found no pattern as to what remotes work or don't, but it seems that a wide spectrum of people have this effect. It's especially worrying when my doors all unlock as I'm driving down the street. I've located the remote entry module and, in an attempt to fix the issue, tried unplugging all the wires from the box. Apparently, the non-remote functions for the power doors, trunk, etc. also route through the box, so I had to plug them all back in. My questions: Why do so many remotes work on this receiver? Would programming a remote to the receiver fix this issue? If not, is there a way to bypass the remote part so no remotes work on my car?

It may also be worth noting that it is (I'm 99.9% certain) a factory-installed remote system.

I appreciate any help you can give me.
    --------------------------

Why do so many remotes work on this receiver?

actually - it's incredibly RARE - virtually unheard of -
    that ANY random remote would work on your car -
    assuming the RKE - Remote Keyless Entry is working properly -

Would programming a remote to the receiver fix this issue?
    possibly - but -
    you don't program the remote to work with your car -
    you actually program the car to recognize the remote -

--------------------

here is a link to the programming procedure -
    http://remoteandkeyprogramming.com/Programming/195.html

I wonder if the "GREEN" wire is still grounded -

you will understand this when you read the directions -

---------------------

with the limited searching I did -
    I believe the correct remote part number is GM 10178734

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I'll have to open it up and see if the wire is still grounded. I checked amazon and it looks like there are some used remotes for pretty cheap. I might try to pick one up and see if that works.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyW View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I'll have to open it up and see if the wire is still grounded. I checked amazon and it looks like there are some used remotes for pretty cheap. I might try to pick one up and see if that works.
    -----------------------
    check ebay - quite a few listed cheap -

Alright, I'm stumped. According to this website (which is, incidentally, the most information on this subject I have been able to find), the keyless entry module should be mounted in the trunk compartment, just under the center brake light. However, when I opened it up, this is what I found: And here's the keyless system that I actually found: That's mounted under the passenger-side dash, same way you would access the fuses and relays under there.
    And a close-up of the box: I just assumed that was the factory box since it looks the right age and has GM on it instead of one of the popular aftermarket names. I'm totally at a loss here as there is no good information on the internet. I'm hoping someone has more knowledge or firsthand experience with this and can help. Is this an aftermarket system, and how do I program this system? If I can't program it, how can I disable the system without disabling most of my electrical system, like in my first post?
    Attached Images

delerium75 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 STS, 1992 Fleetwood, 1987 Maxima wagon

Is there a part number and/or a wiring diagram on the back of the Goodwrench module?

----------

I'm guessing it's either an upmarket, dealer installed one (maybe includes a shock sensor) or a replacement for a failed keyless entry module (the one that should be in your trunk). From what I found searching, it's most likely some other manufacturer with a Goodwrench name slapped on, maybe a Code Alarm. It looks very similar to this: http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/068998.html.

Which most likely means you need a remote like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en If you scroll down the listing, it shows the systems it's compatible with and also has instructions on how to program it to the module. If you search for the general remote number, GOH-MM6-101890, you'll see ones with Ford logos, Chrysler logos, etc. so there doesn't appear to be a shortage of them.

If the module has a model number, it should be possible to find the correct remote for it. Otherwise, maybe a stereo/alarm shop might be able to point you in the best direction.

Hey, sorry it's taken me so long to respond. There is a number on the back of the unit, but from my research, it doesn't seem to correspond to any part numbers. That one you linked to does look a lot like it. I'll see if I can find anything new with this info. Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.