1997 STS - Theft system problem car may not restart
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1997 STS - Theft system problem car may not restart in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello everyone, I am wondering if anyone has had this problem in the past or advice. Codes: IPC 2710 / ...
    STS_FirstCar_Love is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS

1997 STS - Theft system problem car may not restart

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has had this problem in the past or advice.

Codes:
    IPC 2710 / 2750 history
    IPC 2711 Current

I was carrying a lot of weight on my keys which I know wears the ignition lock cyclinder, I've removed them all expect the car keys. I have done a bit of research and it has me thinking about removing the steering wheel components and replacing it. I just ordered a new key and even my old set did the same thing.

Never had a problem starting or anything, but without fail 99% of the time after starting the car I get the following.
    "Theft System Problem, Car May Not Restart"

Just clear it with the info button and its gone till I start the car again.

Any advice or information would be nice, I found a guide online explaining how to get into the steering wheel, but if there are any guides or pictures you can link that would be great!

The bottom line, do you guys think I need to replace the ignition lock cyclinder or something else? If you suspect anything else what information do you need me to gather?

Cheers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 1997 STS Seville - Theft system problem car may not restart - advice

Have you done anything to the sound system ? It's tied into the car's serial data bus and is part of the TheftLock (audio protection) system. Fuse/relay cleanliness checks. I think your key(s) have a resistor inlay with a contact on either side of the key. If that/those contacts are iffy, that's a problem.......... and you need the SAME key value if you cut new ones.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: 1997 STS Seville - Theft system problem car may not restart - advice

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Re: 1997 STS - Theft system problem car may not restart - advice

Ipc 2710 = Pass key open/shorted pellet.

Ipc 2750 = Pass key data communication failure

My opinion, replace ignition lock cylinder.

Comes with new keys that will have to be cut to the correct resistor pellet key blank.

Re: 1997 STS - Theft system problem car may not restart

Yes providing the issue is indeed the ignition cylinder (and 90% of the time it is) then the proper repair is a new one.
    Like I mentioned in the thread I made the link to, that is a temporary repair until the issue is found and proper parts are ordered. I also mentioned DO NOT CUT WIRES, leave room to revert everything back. There is absolutely no reason to cut wires, you can always just disconnect them out of the connector socket.

What I try to understand with this new ignition cylinder...will have tumblers already set to some combination, thus if it comes with keys these keys should be cut already to match the ignition cylinder. However how would they know what VAT to use unless they come with 30 keys (2 for each VAT)?

The new cylinder DOESN'T come with a vats key. It comes with a key cut to the new cylinder's tumblers.

You should already know what vats key you have. If you don't, you have to stop by the GM dealer, have your existing key read by the vats interrogator.

The interrogator will tell you the corresponding number to use.

You get the new key blank and cut the blank to the new keys that came with the cylinder.

Once the cylinder is installed with your new key cut to the cylinder tumblers, you're ready to go.

The vats module in the car is still looking for whatever key number it originally came with, now you have a new cylinder with a new key with the correct vats number replacement key.

----------

Once you get the IPC 2710, that's a dead give away for the wires on the cylinder or the cylinder itself.

From there, you're on borrowed time IF it ever restarted.

P1632 - Theft Deterrent Fuel Disable Signal Received

Was just pulled from my vehicle code, I will be spending the whole day tomorrow Cleaning the ignition lock cylinder I appreciate all the advice you guys have given me and I will post an update tomorrow afternoon.

Once I know I can get at it and what not I'll go pickup the cyclinder and replace it.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Clean what? If you take column apart replace the cylinder and be done with it. I'd bypass the thing myself but thats me.

I understood the ignition cylinder comes with the blank key but matching VAT, and it made no sense to me. First they know the key pattern so why not cutting it, second unless they have some voodoo person how would they know what VAT you have in your vehicle.

So what they give you is just a no VAT key precut to use it for cutting your own VAT keys.

Just so is clear to the people replacing the ignition cylinder:
    1. You need to purchase a new ignition cylinder
    2. You need to measure your old key resistor (determine your VAT) and buy 2 blank keys for that VAT (ok you can buy only one if you don't need a spare).

The ignition cylinder is nothing but a couple of contacts for the pellet in the resistor, the VAT is read by IPC, changing the ignition cylinder does not affect the VAT. So you need to change the ignition key because the new ignition cylinder will likely have a different pattern. You also need to change the ignition key if you replace the IPC because although the ignition cylinder is the same (so the key pattern is preserved) you have 1 in 15 chances that the replacement IPC has the same VAT.

eldorado_sean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98' Eldorado ESC
    Not to hijack the thread but my eldorado sometimes says this too. How much would all this cost roughly?

$0.50 to do the resistor bypass (I would add the world temporary), whatever is the cost of a new ignition cylinder (I would estimate ~$180) + 2 ignition keys (~$80) plus the labor if you are not doing it yourself.

Alright so after doing a bunch of research and finding some pictures and videos I was able to get at the ignition lock cylinder and it turned out to just be a wire problem missing a very tiny piece of plastic, so I tapped up the wire and the problem is 100% gone.

Just for reference, it took me about 3 hours to get at the Ignition Lock Cylinder and put everything back together the last ring before removing the lock plate is a BITCH. Anyways I'm not a mechanic in fact this is my first car and my experience is very limited.

New Ignition lock cylinder was only $78 at Napa here in BC, Canada. It comes with two cutting template keys, to get a new key from GM which I Just ordered a week ago after breaking mine is $45.

So that would mean about $130 for the whole replacement, I just rented the master steering wheel puller from Canadian tire and the snap ring tool(this saves you lots of stress).

I highly recommend you do it eldorado_sean its actually pretty simple once you get it the hang of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSQPDe5jeUY

This video helped me tremendously!!!

Glad you fixed it......

The first time I ever came across this problem was with a friends 97 sts. It left him stranded at the golf course parking lot.

I knew what it was but he didn't believe me, so after I had to convince him to get the cylinder first then cut a new key he was still baffled.

Until I dismantled the column in the parking lot and showed him the thread like wires, one which had broken he was convinced I was taking HIM for a ride.

Never doubted me again after that........

consigliori is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Triple Black Eldorado ETC, 98 ETC(HG), 91 Seville(gone)
    Hey, do resistors wear out over time? I've had this same thing happen two times now over the past month I'd guess- but I've already done a vats bypass a long time ago. There's not even a pellet in my key at all. Or maybe the resistor chain / plug thing is coming loose...?

Closet Boy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SLS

Years ago, I had similar symptoms on my 97 STS. I was unable to diagnose the problem and dropped it off at a local dealer. Their initial repair did not resolve the issue. Upset, after paying good money for misdiagnosed repairs, I went back and spoke directly with the Service Manager. They had the car for 3 or 4 days, and replaced the mother board on the instrument cluster at no charge. You may want to look at my past posts, as I am certain to have reported it on this forum.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.