Valet mode won't turn off
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Valet mode won't turn off in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok, I've been a member here since 2009, never had the need to post to much at all since the ...
    03seville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Seville SLS

Valet mode won't turn off

Ok, I've been a member here since 2009, never had the need to post to much at all since the search gave me all the info I needed every other time. Now I'm finally giving up on my own searching abilities though and asking for help.

For over 2 years now I have not had the homelink, trunk release, or fuel door release functional. The car acts as if it's in valet mode all the time, it started off intermittently but eventually just stopped all together.

1) I check the valet switch multiple times, then threw the multimeter on it to verify continuity and all is good.
    2) Went under the rear seat and tested the relays and verified fuses, again everything checks out fine.
    3) Checked all the fuses under the hood just to be positive there wasn't anything possibly causing it under there.
    4) Verified ground in LR trunk panel was still functional.

Now I'm lost, I'm not showing any codes related to this at all. What's my next step, or what else could be triggering this?

The car is a 2003 Seville SLS

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Valet mode won't turn off

You are absolutely confident that the switch is not sticking or has a broken internal spring causing an intermittent contact?

The switch had no problem completing and disconnecting the circuit, that was my first thought in it. Over the course of time I have tested the switch on different occasions and never failed.

Sounds to me like you are going to need a FSM so you can peruse the wiring schematic and find something common to all those components. Perhaps a ground you missed.

Was afraid of that lol but thank you for the responses. I'll keep digging and maybe someday this will work again

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Is there a multiple body ground connector block behind the passenger right foot kick panel ? The ground blocks in these vehicles may have a dozen black wires all tied to a single lug/stud. You would not be the first to find one or more wires loose in there.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by 03seville View Post
    ....it started off intermittently but eventually just stopped all together.
    The 'intermittently' part of that screams relay to me. Except there are two relays involved in this circuit.

1) I check the valet switch multiple times, then threw the multimeter on it to verify continuity and all is good.
    2) Went under the rear seat and tested the relays and verified fuses, again everything checks out fine.
    3) Checked all the fuses under the hood just to be positive there wasn't anything possibly causing it under there.
    4) Verified ground in LR trunk panel was still functional.
    There are two relays involved. In the rear seat box find the F/TNK DR REL relay and the TRK REL relay. Substitute a relay borrowed from another circuit for each of those relays.

There are two fuses involved (a visual examination of a fuse is not conclusive!). In the underhood box a 10A fuse labeled ALDL and in the under seat box a 10A fuse labeled BODY.

Thank you, Ill go over everything mentioned tonight. This why I asked here

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    The 'intermittently' part of that screams relay to me. Except there are two relays involved in this circuit.

There are two relays involved. In the rear seat box find the F/TNK DR REL relay and the TRK REL relay. Substitute a relay borrowed from another circuit for each of those relays.

There are two fuses involved (a visual examination of a fuse is not conclusive!). In the underhood box a 10A fuse labeled ALDL and in the under seat box a 10A fuse labeled BODY.
    Thank you so much! I've always hated asking questions on the forum since most answers are hidden somewhere under search but after a couple years of headache my car is fully functional again after replacing the aldl fuse I never knew it even played a role in this circuit.

Thank you again!

Thank you so much! I've always hated asking questions on the forum since most answers are hidden somewhere under search but after a couple years of headache my car is fully functional again after replacing the aldl fuse....
    You lived with that situation for a couple of years rather than ask a question? ? ? ?

You lived with that situation for a couple of years rather than ask a question? ? ? ?
    As stupid as it sounds yes, lol I basically gave the car to my fiancee since I have a company vehicle for work.. So after I couldn't figure it out in the first place I left it alone and kind of forgot about it for awhile. Recently I've been driving the car more often and started looking into it again.

----------

I really wish I would've came through here earlier and asked, such a simple solution and I was thinking way to far into it

As stupid as it sounds yes, lol I basically gave the car to my fiancee since I have a company vehicle for work.. So after I couldn't figure it out in the first place I left it alone and kind of forgot about it for awhile. Recently I've been driving the car more often and started looking into it again.

----------

I really wish I would've came through here earlier and asked, such a simple solution and I was thinking way to far into it
    In a humorous vein, IF I had a fiancée (which I don't) she would be unlikely to quietly open the trunk with a key to reach the manual fuel door release to put gas in the tank. For several years!

In a humorous vein, IF I had a fiancée (which I don't) she would be unlikely to quietly open the trunk with a key to reach the manual fuel door release to put gas in the tank. For several years!
    Yeah she's never been happy about it lol I've heard about it a few times but never made it a priority

She is happier than ever now that it's finally working again!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.