Front brake sensors and maybe non-related trouble codes - 2002 SLS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Front brake sensors and maybe non-related trouble codes - 2002 SLS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all like 8 month ago went to pepboys and got new brake pads and disk they told me I ...
    old_school is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS

Front brake sensors and maybe non-related trouble codes - 2002 SLS

Hi all like 8 month ago went to pepboys and got new brake pads and disk they told me I need it to replace the 2 front brake sensors check a few store around my way but they don't carry the brake sensors for the seville does anyone know of a good place online to get them @ a good price

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: front brake sensors (cadillac seville sls 2002)

old_school likes this.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: front brake sensors - 2002 SLS

Or simply clip off the worn sensor(s), bare the pigtail wire ends, twist together and insulate. It's a simple series circuit - any one sensor wears through, the circuit opens, the message shows. If you perform regular maintenance checks you don't need sensors anyway......... and the pads (most GM and replacements) have the old style spring fingers that screech when the pad needs replacement.
    Attached Images
    old_school likes this.

thanks Ranger and Submariner409

@ Submariner409 when you say (most GM and replacements) have the old style spring fingers that screech when the pad needs replacement. does this mean if I replace the brake sensors when ever I need to change brake pads or discs again I would also need to replace brake sensors again

The electrical sensors wear down as the (inner) pad wears. Eventually the circuit (embedded wire) breaks and the message shows. The electrical sensors are sacrificial, and they wear out BEFORE the spring fingers (if fitted) begin to screech.

The spring steel fingers are riveted to the backing plate of the outer pads - they act exactly like dragging your fingernails across a chalkboard. They, too, are set to indicate terminal pad wear - you hear screeching upon brake application, it's time to change pads. You DO have some time to do the job, but the noise gets louder and louder the longer you wait.

I did an EBC rotor/pad change a few years ago - no electrical sensors had worn out - so I simply bundled the sensor pigtails and wire tied them to the chassis. Cheaper to hear squeals than replace electrical sensors at $15 a pop.

............. BUT I still do my own tire rotations and for several reasons I occasionally change to different tires/wheels, so I have a good look at suspension and brake stuff while the wheels are off.
    old_school likes this.

thanks for the info on this I think am going to go ahead and just replace sensors I wish I new how to pigtail wire looks like it would be hard for someone like me that's never done this befor don't want to end up breaking something on the car I wanted to ask you something eles for like a year now the check engine light come out on me the car drives fine is there a sensors fuses in the fuses box under the hood or the fuses box in back that cloud be blown I hate seeing that check engine light

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Unplug the sensor and jump the two wires together in the plug.
    old_school likes this.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    If the check engine light is coming on, trouble codes are being set. You can pull your codes from the DIC, no scanner necessary.

Go to the top of the Eldorado/Seville page, and read the "sticky" thread on how to pull codes. List any codes you find, AND THEIR DEFINITIONS, here (there's a link to code definitions within the sticky).
    old_school likes this.

Re: Front brake sensors and maybe non-related trouble codes - 2002 SLS

Hi MoistCabbage I just did this how to video in the how to pull codes (DTC's) "sticky" thread when I frist ran codes test there were a lot of history which I guess they don't matter cause there old current I guess they were fix by previous owner don't know if this is right also I saw like 4-5 current problem when I frist ran the code test but did not write down the frist time and i hit the clear all codes now when i ran it the second time am just seeing two current codes and i know i saw more the frist time don't know if this because i hit the clear all codes which did remove history the two current codes are which i have no idea how to check for definitions are ABS C1246 and Amp U1000

Edit : found this don't know if its right

DTC C1246 Brake Lining Wear Circuit Open

DTC U1000 Class 2 Communication Malfunction

"sticky" thread

SYSTEMS: (as of 1998)

ABS (Antilock Brake System)
    AMP (Amplifier)

Use the link provided in the Sticky to find the code definitions.

Drive the car for a day or two and check them again to see what returned.

C1246 is telling you what Sub told you. The brake wear sensor wire is broken, or worn through, causing an open circuit. Either replace the sensor or connect the two wires to close the circuit and bypass the system. Personally, I'd replace the sensors. I wish GM kept that feature and my car had it.
    old_school and old_school like this.

Thanks Ranger am just glad to know that one of the current codes the DTC C1246 Brake Lining Wear Circuit Open is just the the brake sensor and is not going to be to much money to fix the link you give me www.rockauto.com there is about 20 parts for brake pad wear sensor don't know which one to get

Call Chris in Parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>>>>>>>>>>

...... and if you're only going to replace ONE wear sensor you need to know which one it is. (which wheel)
    old_school likes this.

Hi Submariner409 they told me it was the two front wheel sensor so am just going to go ahead and replace both

Edit : are the two front brake wheel sensor the same for both wheel ?

Yes the brake pad wear sensors are the same for the front wheels. Any one of them listed at Rockauto should work. Apparently the rears are different, though I can't imagine why.
    old_school likes this.

ok thanks Ranger I think I go with the cheap ones there around $7 each hope they come out good and long lasting for the other current code DTC U1000 Class 2 Communication Malfunction which I geuss has to do with the amp am going to have to leave it like that cause am not 100 % sure but I belive that's because I removed the factory radio and I put in a aftermarket radio and the amp is not working well with the aftermarket radio but then again this started happening like one year after I install the aftermarket radio so I don't know and don't know what I can do about this amp can I remove the amp or that's not a good idea

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.