Which direction does the coolant flow on a 2002 SLS?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Which direction does the coolant flow on a 2002 SLS? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, I am new here to Cadillacforums. I have a 2002 Seville sls. I am having a coolant/overheating problem. I ...
    Copperchopper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville sls

Which direction does the coolant flow on a 2002 SLS?

Hello, I am new here to Cadillacforums.
    I have a 2002 Seville sls. I am having a coolant/overheating problem. I am trying to fix it myself and can use a little help.
    The car had a leak in the resivoir tank and was also building up pressure and would want to boil out the tank. As long as I kept adding water to it and kept the two fans on by the radiator it ran fine.
    Last week I took off the resivoir tank and patched the leaks with JB weld. I also changed the thermostat. Now it is undrivable. There is so much pressure biulding up in the coolant system it sprung new leaks in the resivoir tank. The water is evaporating into steam and it overheats really fast. I am thinking I blew a head gasket but want to be sure its not something I can fix before putting it in the shop.
    I have long suspected my radiator is bad and I want to check it. The top hose was always very hot and doesnt seem like water is flowing through it.
    There is a hose that goes from the thermostat to the radiator on the drivers side. And a hose that comes off the passenger side of the radiator to the intake manifold i guess? This is the hose that i suspect has no coolant running through it. So does the coolant go through the top hose, through the radiator to the thermostat. Or does it flow through the thermostat first, then through the radiator and out the top hose back to the motor?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Which direction does the coolant flow on an sls?

Read the sticky posts on cooling system, gauges, and fan operation in the Engines, Northstar forum.

The water pump is in the water crossover on the rear (driver's end) of the engine. Initially, coolant circulates through the block, heads, and heater circuit. Both circuits act on the thermostat - which blocks the Lower(return) hose. As temp reaches 188 the thermostat begins to open, allowing coolant to flow from the engine, through the upper hose, radiator, and return to the engine via the lower hose and water pump cover circuit. The thermostat is fully open at 206, so there is a flow division through the engine, heads, heater circuit, and radiator. Look for posts by Ranger that include a cooling system flow diagram. Look for posts discussing the "purge line".

Pictures of many cooling system parts in my albums - click my username, open the profile. :eft column - 2 albums, 6 pages of stuff for your car.

You need to perform a cylinder block exhaust gas test - your pressure/coolant loss symptoms point directly to blown head gasket(s).

"The shop" - Do a lot of study in these Seville/Northstar forums for advice on how to properly reapir the engine, if need be.

Either rent a cylinder block exhaust gas test kit from a large parts store or use this - http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis75500.html

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Which direction does the coolant flow on a 2002 SLS?

Here ya go.
    Attached Images

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

check the PURGE LINE -

the PURGE LINE is the only way of expelling air from the Northstar cooling system -

it is a 3/8 diameter hose that goes from a hollow bolt in the thermostat/waterpump housing area of the engine - and plugs onto a nipple on the side of the SERGE TANK -

with the engine running - there should be a gentle - constant flow of coolant - from the engine - to the serge tank -

if there is no flow - the most likely cause is a blockage in the hollow bolt -

follow the hose towards the engine - with the engine OFF - remove the hose - use a straightened metal coat hanger - or something similar - and poke it into the hollow bolt -

the coat hanger should go in about 2 1/2 inches -

once the hollow bolt is cleared - you can briefly start the engine to verify coolant flow - be sure to use some sort of container to catch the coolant so you don't make a mess -

check the hose and serge tank for blockage

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Copperchopper View Post
    Last week I took off the resivoir tank and patched the leaks with JB weld.
    It won't hold. Been there, done that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.