1994 SLS transmission problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By eldoramous
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1994 SLS transmission problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i have a 1994 seville with northstar motor and my trans wont shift over 2 gear when it shifts and ...
    young_beast is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1994 SLS transmission problems

i have a 1994 seville with northstar motor and my trans wont shift over 2 gear when it shifts and stops in 2nd gear the engine light comes on ........can some one please help me with this problem................

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

fleishman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 97 SLS

Re: 1994 seville sls transmission problems

search

jjbuckley is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

And when you turn the car off, the next time you start it, the check engine light is out until it is time for the transmission to shift into 3rd or overdrive.

If you check your codes, you will find a PO 94 or PO29
    Shift solenoid A or B problem. Early 4T80E transaxles had this problem. On the early 90's the shift solenoids were designed to hold the valve body filter in place, and over time the filter would press against the plastic solenoid bases and crack them. ( I just found this out myself, from reading the post here and on www.caddyinfo.com)

You can buy a shift solenoid kit from GM parts direct or Rock auto for around 50.00, it comes with 2 redesigned solenoids, new valve body filter, a filter bracket and longer valve body bolt to hold the filter in place.

If you are a DIY'er this is a repair you can do yourself, expect to pay about 300-500 from the dealer, and 150-300 from and independent shop if you can find one who will do just a shift solenoid replacment. Most shops will try to tell you you need a rebuild or replacement, but if you search you can find one that will do just the work you want.

If you decide to do it yourself, here are some steps to get you started.

4T-80E Shift Solenoid Replacment

a) the job is a mess, be prepared.
    drop the pan, and careful removing the tranny gasket, it is re-usable. Once you clean the pan, you can reset it with gasket sealer.
    c) disconnect the solenoid electrical connectors and the mechanical linkage. The linkage has a metal clip you lift and slide.
    d) remove the valve body screws, and drop the valve body.
    e) place the valve body where you can afford a mess, it will continually leak. Best thing is to set it on cardboard on a bench. There is a valve spool that can be removed as well, careful it can slip out, you don't want to damage it.
    f) remove the two clips holding the solenoids, careful they are spring-loaded and will fly
    g) remove the screws holding the "large" portion of the valve body split, this is where the solenoids are incased. Remember the screw locations, there are about four different screw lengths
    h) CAREFULLY remove split, there are 4 steel check balls loose inside the split (about 1/4" diameter, they will fly, as well)
    i) inspect spacer plate, if the black coating is not chipping off you can re-use it, otherwise plan on spending another $ 70 at the dealership parts house. If you replace it you will have to remove the "smaller" split, as well. It also has three check balls.
    j) replace the solenoids
    k) now comes the fun,....you will note three holes in the spacer plate where three of the check balls reside, seat them there (appr. 3/16" diameter with a smaller relief hole next to it, as I remember). The fourth check ball will need to be inserted in a spherically-cast cavity, which is near one of the solenoids. You can set it with grease, I re-assembled successfully without using grease.
    l) re-assemble valve body, carefully and equally torque.
    m) you will note a square black plastic item near one of the solenoids, on the end. Replace this plastic filter with the new filter in the solenoid kit. The kit will also come with an L-shaped bracket that is to be used to "capture" this filter and keep it from backing out. The kit also comes with a slightly longer screw used to mount the bracket to the valve body (discard the old screw).
    m) re-assemble valve body to transmission, hook up linkage and electrical connectors
    n) replace both tranny filters
    o) replenish fluid
    p) reset codes

I am told there is a hidden drain plug for the side cover fluid (where most of the fluid is...) that is accessible once the lower pan is removed. The plug is pretty evident on the end of the trans under the side cover. Use this to drain additional fluid out.

John

eldoramous is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '94 Eldo

This is obviously a common problem - I have been reading the various posts on this subject.

Guess why? All of a sudden, my '94 Eldo (w/ Northstar but not an ETC) will not shift into fourth and I am getting code PO 94. If I leave the shifter in 3rd, the car drives fine, but if I forget and put it into Drive, it seems to find a false neutral when it is supposed to shift into fourth.

In the various threads related to this, I have yet to see where anyone has posted the correct part number for this kit with the two solenoids, the filter, and the bracket and bolt. Since GMpartsDirect.com (and others) require a part number to order parts such as this, I have to ask (and hope that someone will reply, even though I am resurrecting a very old thread):

Is #24211355 the correct GM part number for this kit?

I believe it is, but the reason for the confusion is that GM uses the term 'valve' rather than 'solenoid' in the description of the two items in this kit (below, in blue).

I am told that this is the kit that is needed and that the 'valves' labeled (also in blue) 909 are the shift solenoids. Is this correct? I believe that 917 is the filter that comes with this kit.

Also, is the service bulletin mentioned recommending that this kit be used with the bracket included when replacing these items since this bracket was not included at the factory?

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Not sure of the part#
    In the above directions, step "f" should be after step "h" unless the clips(308) have been installed after the VB has been re-assembled(the way I do it making it easier for the next guy even though they should never have to be changed again). The clips can and should be installed from the outside.

(This is quite an old thread to dig up.)

Yeah, it's an old thread. But this is such a common problem and I saw no reason to start a new thread when there is such info in other, older ones.

Well, my tranny stopped going into third, so the car is parked until I can take care of this. No surprise, I guess.

I'd hoped that someone might have chimed in to say whether or not the info I posted above was correct, but since no one has really commented one way or the other, and since our apparently quite experienced friend Aztec ETC ECS has looked at the above illustration, referenced the clips (308), and generally agreed that it looks familiar, I have to believe that I am on the right track and have the right part numbers.

I will order this kit and pray that this cures my transmission troubles.

Thanks to all!

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

You'll probably find a cracked solenoid, broken by the plastic screen that pops out (#917).
    Your last 4 sentences are correct in post#4.
    The kit also comes with a longer bolt for the bracket.
    http://cobratransmission.com/images/...noid%20Kit.JPG

There is a pic of the installed bracket in this thread:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...3-mystery.html
    You can also see the very broken solenoid in the pic.

Thanks! That is precisely what I hoped.

Part has been ordered.

This site and you guys rock!

I drove the car a couple of times while waiting for the part and soon enough third was gone too. No surprise.

It took about a week to get the parts from GMpartsdirect, then I spent a few hours on my back doing this messy job, (now I know how my old girlfriends felt!) but it was exactly as described - one of the solenoids was cracked and crooked.

Used all of the parts in the kit, cleaned everything up, and reassembled, following the instructions above. Then I topped it off w/ about six quarts of Dexron III.

I have to tell you, the transmission feels and shifts like it's brand new. I could not be happier! I think I'm even getting a few more mph, although I have no idea why that would be...

When I think of what this could've cost were it not for computers - the one in the car and the one that I use to reach this forum... Instead of getting hosed for the cost of a rebuilt transmission ($2500?), the problem is permanently fixed for the total cost of several hours of my labor and around $80 in parts and transmission fluid.

Thanks to all!!!

Not that it changes anything materially, but that sentence should have read:

I have to tell you, the transmission feels and shifts like it's brand new. I could not be happier! I think I'm even getting a few more mpg, although I have no idea why that would be...

retsamevol is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Sevile STS

I have a question. I just replaced my solenoids in my 94 seville. instructions were great by the way. only took about 1 1/2hrs. I didn't drain all the fuild though, just the fuild in the pan.

The Question I have though is.... Where do I put in the new oil? I cant seem to find the filler plug! Can someone please help me out here, Thx

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by retsamevol View Post
    I have a question. I just replaced my solenoids in my 94 seville. instructions were great by the way. only took about 1 1/2hrs. I didn't drain all the fuild though, just the fuild in the pan.

The Question I have though is.... Where do I put in the new oil? I cant seem to find the filler plug! Can someone please help me out here, Thx
    ---------------------------
    locate the trans fluid dipstick -
    remove the trans fluid dipstick and pour the trans fluid in -

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.