Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Mystery Clunk when turning into driveway, Solved

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MoistCabbage 
#1 ·
I posted last year about my 2004 Seville making a clunk when we make a right turn going into a driveway, parking lot or any uneven road.

I recently bought new tires and replaced a set of 55 series with the correct 60 series the car was designed for. I'll get to that later. I also had an alignment done. The front was in spec but the left rear was out 2 degrees which is big. When he went to the bolts to adjust the rear The entire left side assembly looked out of place to me as compared to the right side. He made the adjustments and tightened it back which put it in it's proper place.

Now the clunk is gone. It wasn't a shock mount. It was he rear center control arm assembly.
:)
Back to the tires, the car now doesn't scrape on our driveway like it did and it handles much better. I am getting better gas mileage also. At least the computer thinks so. :)

#3 ·
capthead said:
I posted last year about my 2004 Seville making a clunk when we make a right turn going into a driveway, parking lot or any uneven road.

I recently bought new tires and replaced a set of 55 series with the correct 60 series the car was designed for. I'll get to that later. I also had an alignment done. The front was in spec but the left rear was out 2 degrees which is big. When he went to the bolts to adjust the rear The entire left side assembly looked out of place to me as compared to the right side. He made the adjustments and tightened it back which put it in it's proper place.

Now the clunk is gone. It wasn't a shock mount. It was he rear center control arm assembly.
:)
Back to the tires, the car now doesn't scrape on our driveway like it did and it handles much better. I am getting better gas mileage also. At least the computer thinks so. :)
I wanted to post about this issue a couple of weeks ago, as I remembered your thread, but not who posted it. My car had been doing the same thing, and after repeated inspections, nobody could figure it out.

I ended up having someone watch the rear wheels as I pulled into a parking lot. The wheels were actually shifting forward slightly when the noise occurred! I would have assumed control arm bushings, but they looked fine. I got the idea that maybe they were spinning on the control arms, so I ordered new control arms. When the old ones were removed, the problem became clear. The bushings weren't deteriorated, but they were deformed. The inner sleeves were all off to one side. The control arm was shifted sideways enough that the arms themselves were getting hung up/binding. For one reason or another, when the car was on a lift, the arms weren't noticeably shifted.

The car definitely feels different in HARD cornering. The rear feels more planted, and the tires don't complain. The problem must have been affecting alignment under load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.