Cadillac Owners Forum banner

can I bypass my Content Theft Deterrent (CTD) system..?

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Submariner409 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi guys..

So I've been working on an audio upgrade for my 2002 SLS. As my first car, and first audio upgrade, this is turning out to be a lot more work than I had imagined it would be..!
I've got my aftermarket headunit in with RAP interface and that's all working (thank god), but now I need to bypass the stock Bose amplifier so that I can install my own and use my own speakers.

The problem is, when I remove the Bose amp I get a CTD alarm.
By this I mean that my siren goes off and my emergency lights start flashing and no electronics function.
I had the hard realization with this fact recently when I had absentmindedly unplugged the device and attempted to drive the next day. It took me like 30 min to figure out lol

Things I've learned:
- My car has a PASSKEY III security system that is integrated with the ignition system which all you remote-starters out there know and love. This is not a problem for me however (currently)
- ..And then it has a "content theft deterrent" (CTD) system which integrates throughout the car in its own dedicated circuit with the Body Control Module (BCM) that is somewhere in my vehicle. This is what I want to disable. Completely.
- The CTD system apparently interfaces with my Bose amplifier--the crux of my problems.
- Limited material, schematics on this subject in Haynes/Chiltons manuals or the interwebz..

Please somebody out there tell me that this is possible...I'm about ready to go to the dealership to beg them to let me look at some of their schematics..

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Your stock head unit is part of the serial data bus and anti theft systems. In order to install an aftermarket HU, you need an integration module, such as the Metra GMOS-06.

As for adding your own amps to the Bose system, you can't. If you want to use your own amps, you'll also have to replace all of the speakers (The stock speakers are very low impedance), and rewire the system from scratch. You basically have to go about it as if the car had no stereo at all. If this is your first audio install, you picked the wrong car to learn on.

Haynes and Chiltons manuals are worthless for these cars. If you're going to be working on the car yourself, get yourself a "real" Helm FSM (on Helms website, or used on Ebay). You'll need the full 3 volume set.

If you haven't already, go through the "sticky" threads at the top of the Eldorado/Seville forum and Northstar forum. Then go to the black tab at the top of the page, and click on Cadillac Technical Archives. Read the ENTIRE page, LOTS of good info.

Have you read your owners manual cover to cover yet?

#3 ·
Your stock head unit is part of the serial data bus and anti theft systems. In order to install an aftermarket HU, you need an integration module, such as the Metra GMOS-06.

As for adding your own amps to the Bose system, you can't. If you want to use your own amps, you'll also have to replace all of the speakers (The stock speakers are very low impedance), and rewire the system from scratch. You basically have to go about it as if the car had no stereo at all.
Cover-to-cover. It's quite basic, as you probably are aware.

And yes, I have added the Metra GMOS-06 interface (RAP) + Axxess ASWC-01 steering wheel control module successfully. This all allows my aftermarket HU to work with my Bose speakers/amp perfectly.

I am planning on rewiring from scratch and I have my speakers. Amp is on the way, and I am going to do the Big 3 upgrade with 0 GA copper. Yeah, I measured the mids at like 2 ohm, and the tweets at 4ohm.

Haynes and Chiltons manuals are worthless for these cars. If you're going to be working on the car yourself, get yourself a "real" Helm FSM (on Belms website, or used on Ebay). You'll need the full 3 volume set.

If you haven't already, go through the "sticky" threads at the top of the Eldorado/Seville forum and Northstar forum. Then go to the black tab at the top of the page, and click on Cadillac Technical Archives. Read the ENTIRE page, LOTS of good info.

Have you read your owners manual cover to cover yet?
I know..but I realllly don't want to pay $125 for the Helm..$$

If this is your first audio install, you picked the wrong car to learn on.
Sure did buddy. Always seem to lol

But I'm not giving up!!

Thanks for the sticky tip, I'll take a look.

#4 ·
The problem is, when I remove the Bose amp I get a CTD alarm.
By this I mean that my siren goes off
and my emergency lights start flashing and no electronics function.

our cars do not have sirens from the factory -
sounds like you have an aftermarket alarm system -
and THAT is going to add further complications to a radio install -

I realllly don't want to pay $125 for the Helm.
I doubt you could even find a full set for that cheap -
you could buy a subscription to All-Data -

#6 ·
our cars do not have sirens from the factory -
sounds like you have an aftermarket alarm system -
and THAT is going to add further complications to a radio install
Nope, this a stock feature of the CTD. My Chilton's manual describes this behavior exactly.

I doubt you could even find a full set for that cheap -
you could buy a subscription to All-Data -
Yeah, if I can win this auction haha.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Cadill...anuals_Literature&hash=item2a364181c8&vxp=mtr

And, yeah, I gave http://www.eautorepair.net (Mitchell1) a shot a month ago and was *not* impressed. It was like reading an even more disorganized Haynes/Chiltons on the computer.
Is alldatadiy the preferred resource?

#7 · (Edited)
No siren. Use the Chilton to mop up oil spills.

Open your owner's manual and read the sections on TheftLock and Theft Deterrent - two different but interactive systems - one disables the stereo/headunit, the other flashes lights and sounds the horn.

#8 ·
AllData is what most members here will recommend.

And, as posted several times already, there is no "siren" from the factory. The anti theft system honks the horn. Also, I don't think I've ever seen the acronym CTD used for these cars.

.....Throw the Haynes and Chiltons manuals away.

#9 ·
Not completely crazy - although it doesn't appear to have any relation to the audio system (not that I've ever triggered this alarm, but..)

Document ID# 723756
2002 Cadillac Seville
Content Theft Deterrent (CTD) Description and Operation

The CTD system (when armed) is designed to deter vehicle content theft by pulsing the horns and exterior lamps for approximately 30 seconds when an unauthorized vehicle entry is detected. However, the CTD system does not affect engine starting.

An unauthorized entry can be any of the following with the CTD system armed:

When any door is opened without being unlocked by using the key to unlock either of the front doors or the UNLOCK command from a keyless entry transmitter.

The components of the system are:

Dash integration module (DIM)
Door lock actuators
Door modules
Door lock cylinder disarm switch
Instrument panel cluster (IPC)
Rear integration module (RIM)
Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR)
Rear compartment ajar switch

Arming the CTD System
Use the following procedure in order to arm the system:

Place the shift lever in P, park.
Turn OFF the ignition.
Open any door.

Important
The system is not armed if the doors are locked manually, the power door lock switch or remote transmitter must be used to arm the CTD system.

Lock the doors with any power door lock switch or the LOCK button on the transmitter. The system is in standby mode and will not start the arming timer until all doors are closed.
The system will arm approximately 30 seconds from the time that the last door is closed. This delay is shown by the SECURITY indicator ON STEADY. When the indicator transitions to OFF, the system is armed.

Locking The Vehicle Without Arming The CTD System
Locking the vehicle may be accomplished without arming the CTD system. Use of the manual door locks or using the key to lock the doors will lock the vehicle but will not arm the CTD system.
Disarming An Armed System/Silencing An Alarm

If system arming has been requested by the power door lock switch or the transmitter, it must be disarmed.

Important
Using the power door unlock switch or manually unlocking the doors does not disable the CTD arm mode. Also, disconnecting the battery or pulling fuses does not disable the arm mode, since the remote function actuator module stores the CTD mode status in memory.

To disarm the CTD system in standby mode, SECURITY indicator on or flashing and door(s) open:
Press either power door unlock switch.
Use the key to unlock the front door.
Press the UNLOCK button on the transmitter.
Insert a valid Pass Key III key into the ignition and switch to run position.

To disarm the CTD system in the armed mode:
Insert a valid Pass Key III key into the ignition and switch to run position

To disarm the CTD system when activated (alarming mode).
Insert a valid Pass Key III key into the ignition and switch to run position.

Personalization
Refer to Personalization Description and Operation in Personalization.

CTD Circuit Description
The following is a description of each component used in the CTD system.

Dash Integration Module (DIM)
The dash integration module (DIM) controls the exterior lighting and the horn activation. When the RIM detects an unauthorized entry, the RIM sends a message via the serial data circuit to the DIM to activate the horns and exterior lamps. The DIM then grounds the appropriate relays to control the exterior lighting and horns.

Door Lock Actuators
The CTD system uses the door jamb switches in the door lock assembly as one method to activate the alarm. The driver door module (DDM) monitors all door jamb switches via a discrete input or the simple bus interface (SBI) from the other three door modules. If the rear integration module (RIM) receives a class 2 message from the DDM that a door is open and the CTD system is armed, the RIM activates the alarm.

Door Lock Cylinder Disarm Switch
The CTD system uses the door lock cylinder disarm switch in the door lock assembly in order to disarm the CTD system. When the door lock cylinder is turned to the unlock position the switch grounds the disarm input to the door module.

Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR)
The remote keyless entry (RKE) system is an internal function of the RCDLR. The RKE system can arm and disarm the CTD system. When the RCDLR receives a door lock or unlock signal from the transmitter, the RCDLR sends a class 2 message to the RIM in order to perform the appropriate arm/disarm functions.

Rear Integration Module (RIM)
The CTD system is an internal function of the Rear Integration Module (RIM) which utilizes class 2 serial data and various switch input information to perform CTD functions. When RIM detects an unauthorized entry, the RIM sends a message via the serial data circuit to the DIM to activate the horns and exterior lamps. The RIM has five basic modes (disarmed, standby, delayed, armed, and alarm) for operating the CTD system. The different modes are described below.

The RIM has the CTD system in a disarmed mode until the following conditions are detected:
Ignition key turned to the OFF position
Any door open
Doors locked by either the power door lock switch or the LOCK button on the transmitter
The RIM enters the standby mode when the above conditions are detected. In standby mode the RIM commands the instrument cluster to illuminate the SECURITY indicator via the class 2 serial data line. (If all the doors are closed and the LOCK button on the transmitter is used, the RIM enters the delayed mode.
When the last door is closed, the RIM enters the delayed mode for 30 seconds. In delayed mode the RIM commands the instrument cluster to illuminate the SECURITY indicator via the class 2 serial data line.
After 30 seconds, the RIM enters the armed mode. In armed mode the RIM commands the instrument cluster to turn off the SECURITY indicator via the class 2 serial data line. Any forced entry activates the alarm mode.
When the RIM detects a forced entry, the RIM enters the alarm mode. The RIM commands the DIM to activate the horn and exterior lamps for 30 seconds, via a class 2 message. This is followed by a three minute time-out with the horn no longer active. If no new intrusions are detected after the time-out, the horn is not active. The system must be disarmed or the intrusion condition removed after the time-out for the system to exit alarm mode.

Rear Compartment Lid Ajar Switch
The CTD system uses the rear compartment lid ajar switch in the rear compartment lid latch assembly as one method to activate the alarm. The RIM monitors the rear compartment lid ajar switch via a discrete input. When the rear compartment lid is opened the ajar switch grounds the input to the RIM. When the CTD system is in the armed mode, the RIM activates the alarm.

Important
The CTD system can be armed with the windows or sunroof open.

Inputs

The RIM monitors the following inputs:

Driver and passenger door jamb switches, class 2 message from the Driver Door Module.
Driver and passenger power door lock/unlock switches, class 2 message from the Driver Door Module.
Door lock cylinder disarm switch, class 2 message from the Driver Door Module.
Transmitter LOCK/UNLOCK buttons, class 2 message from the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR)
Rear compartment lid ajar switch.

Outputs

The RIM commands the DIM to control the following via a class 2 message:

The horn relay
The daytime running lamps
The park lamp relay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.