Stalling problem 1992 4.9 Eldorado
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Stalling problem 1992 4.9 Eldorado in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a intermittent stalling problem. Engine runs like a swiss watch for awhile, then all of a sudden engine ...
    Erics92eldo4.9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Eldorado

Stalling problem 1992 4.9 Eldorado

I have a intermittent stalling problem. Engine runs like a swiss watch for awhile, then all of a sudden engine wants to kill.
    I can keep it running with RPM of 1700 or so. come to a stop sign, and have to put trans in nuetral with high RPM,
    to keep it running. when the engine is trying to stall, check engine light flickers or comes on. I have replaced the fuel filter,
    and checked vacum lines. any thought to my intermittent problem would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Stalling problem 1992 4.9 Eldorado

If the check engine light was on, a diagnostic code was stored in the computer. As a start, use the instructions in this link to retrieve and decipher them.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...x-engines.html

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

The ISC motor would be a suspect.

FoosShark is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

How about this Eric?
    The Idle Speed Control should still be there and If I remember correctly it needs a Torx 30

http://www.upullrparts.com/inventory
    Rosemount,mn

ID Make Year Model Desc. Date Received
    UA5162 Cadillac 1992 Eldorado black 01/09/2014

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Since the problem develops only after warm up (not under all conditions), and at least 1700rpm is needed to keep it from killing (just cracking the throttle as the ISC would doesn't work), I would think this is an engine management issue rather than a throttle angle/ISC issue...

So this is what I have done so far. codes came up bad MAP. Replaced MAP. New cap, roter, wires & plugs. Replaced all vacum lines. Replaced fuel
    filter. Drove 250 miles from Minneapolis to Des Moine. Ran like a champ in bad weather conditions. Stoped in Des Moine for gas. Filled up, and decided to not brave the blizzard, and got a motel room. Engine now doing the same old thing. Does not want to idle. Engine surges up and down.I am on my way to south Texas. I am hoping the car will not have a problem running down the freeway at 2000 rpms tomorrow. I need suggestions? ISC?

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    If the check engine light was on, a diagnostic code was stored in the computer. As a start, use the instructions in this link to retrieve and decipher them.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...x-engines.html
    You need to to start here.

Yes, got diagnostic code. came up bad MAP. replaced that along with the rest that I just said. Does not seem like it knows how to idle. gets caught in a funk that it wont come out of, till maybe the next day. ran like a champ down the freeway at 1700+ rpm's. soon as I stopped for gas, engine
    started surging.

lizzardman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 Seville and a 74 cadillac Eldorado Convertible

I have a 92 Seville also. The symptoms you are describing are the same as what I had. Mine would run fine and then suddenly just run bad and surge etc. After it cooled down it ran fine again. It would give codes that were only history. My problem turned out to be the PCM. Bought a used pcm with the right engine service code switched the prom over and have not had a problem since. the used pcm cost me 40.00 dollars.

ok, car made it 1600 miles to Texas. now I replaced the PCM with a new one. still does not want to idle once it is warm. one can never know when it is going to just kill on you. wont hold a idle. I now have countless hours and almost $1000. trying to fix the problem. so here is the list... new MAP, NEW PCM, NEW plugs wires cap and rotor. New vacum hoses. I hope someone is still reading this and has a idea for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Erics92eldo4.9 View Post
    one can never know when it is going to just kill on you.
    This is ONLY at idle? Never stalls at cruise or WOT?

only at idle. very frustrating. bumper to bumper traffic on the expressway, San Antonio. had to stop the car, put it in park, and then restart it. of course this car can not be started in nuetral. ISC? re learn the Idle again?

el_dorado_mex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 El Dorado and 1991 Cheyenne Pickup
    Dirty throttlebody maybe? Have seen this behavior with more recent gm vehicles when tb is coaled up... (including map code)

I don't think the '92 TB is as sensitive to dirt and carbon etc as the Northstar TBs are, It certainly wouldn't cause a stall because it uses the ISC motor as opposed to the IAC valve. I have to wonder if it's not an intermittent ISC motor. Is it original? Have you tried cleaning the contacts?

el_dorado_mex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 El Dorado and 1991 Cheyenne Pickup

normally i wouldn't think of throttlebody either. but here's the full story to why i am: got in a gmc suv the other day, revving up and down at idle, eventually idling at like 450 rpm, then stalling. would stall for sure switching a/c either on or off. threw a map out of range code. had seen that before, so went ahead and changed it. seemed to get better for a minute or so, then again, revving up and down, stalling. no issues at all while driving. map code showed again. connected scan tool and had a look at live data. to idle at 700 rpm the throttle would be open like 25%, then out of nowhere it went to like 19%, 400 rpm, then up again, then stall at like 17%. i started thinking the pcm might be bad. then it ocurred to me that this thing just might be getting out of range while trying to hold an idle, for some reason. i had a look at the tb, and found quite a layer of carbon residue. cleaned that off with a rag and carb cleaner. started her up, nice and smooth idle at 700 rpm. looked at live data again, 16 to 18% at 700 rpm, what a difference! could switch a/c on and off now, no hesitation or stalling, no map code.

ok, i'm talking a 2004 vehicle here, with epc (electronic throttle). but that's exactly why i could imagine that being the problem. isc is quite similar to epc when it comes to idle regulation, a motor moving the throttle, as opposed to iac, a motor (or pulse valve) opening and closing a bypass. now i could make a trip to imaginary land and think that the way the epc idle sequence is programmed into nowadays pcm's is the same way the isc sequence was programmed 20 years earlier, in a faulty and not diagnostic friendly way, but that would be too much, wouldn't it...

i might be totally off here or as well getting somewhere, it's just that the op's problem sounds so much like this experience... i'd say it isn't expensive at all to give that tb a good cleanup, and it won't hurt a thing

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.