Crappy day with many problems - 1998 ESC
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Crappy day with many problems - 1998 ESC in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok so today is the first day I took my Cadillac to school. I'm 16 and I just got my ...
    eldorado_sean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98' Eldorado ESC

Crappy day with many problems - 1998 ESC

Ok so today is the first day I took my Cadillac to school. I'm 16 and I just got my license on the 27th of December. So today after school I walked back to my car. And saw a blue envelope with a parking ticket..... It's my FIRST day with the cadillac and license and I get a ticket. Also to add I almost ruined my car. I forgot I'm not driving my moms infiniti and put the car up into neutral thinking it was in tiptronic ( on the infiniti) revved the car and I shifted into REVERSE! I was used to pushing up to upshift...Yes I shifted into reverse while going 20mph. The car came to a stop and it stalled. It wouldn't start. Oil and ses light came on. I tried to restart it and said starting disabled. So me 140 lbs and another friend tried pushing the car. ( all of this right after school. Where there are many cars. I was scared sh#tless. I was thinking to myself if I screwed up the car. My hopes of a g35 coupe would vanish. I waited with a couple bystanders until it said start now. THANK YOU LORD it started without any problem. I slowly dropped off my friend and made my way toward where many of my friends were and I inspected the car. No oil on floor no noises. I made my way back home. Ate and quickly hopped on the forums to figure out if I screwed up my car. PLEASE someone tell me I can still have the car to drive for a couple month til I can sell it and get another car. Wrapped up this was one of the worst days I've had.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Crappy day with many problems

Seems as if you need a driver's ed course.

You could have damaged a whole lot of stuff - but online guesses, sight unseen, are worthless.

Your call - you say you'll sell the car - get an Accord beater.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409
    Seems as if you need a driver's ed course. You could have damaged a whole lot of stuff - but online guesses, sight unseen, are worthless. Your call - you say you'll sell the car - get an Accord beater.
    I've been driving since age 13 and for the past couple months I've been driving a infiniti g35 sedan and I got used to that car. And I checked for leaks. Any noises. And my father will check everything out later. Hopefully everything's good. And it's going on Craigslist right away. Hopefully I can find a g35 coupe for myself.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

.......... because the Cadillac will keep you in the poor house.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

^^^ I am afraid the Submariner speaketh the truth! Let me ask you what your insurance will be to drive a G35 coupe in Burbank, CA, might want to check this out. When you fibd out, it make for another "really crappy day."

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by eldorado_sean View Post
    Ok so today is the first day I took my Cadillac to school. I'm 16 and I just got my license on the 27th of December. So today after school I walked back to my car. And saw a blue envelope with a parking ticket..... It's my FIRST day with the cadillac and license and I get a ticket. Also to add I almost ruined my car. I forgot I'm not driving my moms infiniti and put the car up into neutral thinking it was in tiptronic ( on the infiniti) revved the car and I shifted into REVERSE! I was used to pushing up to upshift...Yes I shifted into reverse while going 20mph. The car came to a stop and it stalled. It wouldn't start. Oil and ses light came on. I tried to restart it and said starting disabled. So me 140 lbs and another friend tried pushing the car. ( all of this right after school. Where there are many cars. I was scared sh#tless. I was thinking to myself if I screwed up the car. My hopes of a g35 coupe would vanish. I waited with a couple bystanders until it said start now. THANK YOU LORD it started without any problem. I slowly dropped off my friend and made my way toward where many of my friends were and I inspected the car. No oil on floor no noises. I made my way back home. Ate and quickly hopped on the forums to figure out if I screwed up my car. PLEASE someone tell me I can still have the car to drive for a couple month til I can sell it and get another car. Wrapped up this was one of the worst days I've had.
    Cadillacs aren't Camrys er, i mean Infinitys.....

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

I am surprised that it went into reverse at 20 MPH. I though they where idiot proofed with a lockout that would disable it above 5 or 10 MPH.

That said, it's hard to tell if any damage was done, but if it actually went into reverse and locked up the wheels at 20 MPH I would almost expect some type of damage.

curtc is online now OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 118k
    16 and shopping for a G35 coupe? Either you have fantastic monetary responsibility or your shopping on mommy and daddy's dollar. If it's the later I pity any vehicle you drive as you can't possibly appreciate it.
    orconn, Tankboy40 and willn513 like this.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    I am surprised that it went into reverse at 20 MPH. I though they where idiot proofed with a lockout that would disable it above 5 or 10 MPH. That said, it's hard to tell if any damage was done, but if it actually went into reverse and locked up the wheels at 20 MPH I would almost expect some type of damage.

My car died so is that a "idiot proofing" and also said starter disabled , then a countdown, (start in 3 minutes. Then 2 then 1 , then it said start now. And there it was. I just know my car died once it went in reverse. I drove it for about 10 minutes after that and nothing felt really different.

----------

And sorry if I offended anyone. I have saved up some money as a kid. And whatever the cadillac sells for I'm adding my money on top to find a suitable car for me. And I rarely spend my parents money. I pay for my own gas by which I worked over summer for. And the cadillac will be too expensive for a 16 yr old to maintain. I can't have a high cost vehicle especially with 171k miles. We bought it as a family project. And now since we're don't we don't really drive the car, so why not give it to someone that will actually drive it? And I'm hoping for my parents to allow me to obtain a g35.

----------

My tires DIDNT LOCK UP AT ALL once I noticed its in REVERSE i quickly put it in neutral or drive. And came to a upcoming stop sign. Then it died. Some more clues of what I did to my car

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

OK, if the tires didn't lock up, then the trans IS idiot proofed and did not go into reverse. The shifter may have said reverse, but the PCM told the trans, oh no you don't . I am not very knowledgeable on transmissions. They are PFM to me. Not sure why the engine stalled though. Pull the DTC's. Post them AND their definitions. There may be a clue there.

curtc is online now OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 118k

A G35 is far from a low cost vehicle to own, any luxury car actually. You pay to play when it comes to luxury. I will say a lower mileage Infiniti is probably more reliable than a 15 year old Cadillac at 171k though. Insurance will definitely be higher, especially at your age.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Glad to hear you have been so responsible with your money ...... I sincerely suggest you check out insurance cost for the cars you are desiring, before you actually buy one. I would imagine at your age any car would cost more than $2400/per year for you to insure at your age. Something with some performance and sporty image would cost a lot more. At least that was my experience when my son began driving (at age 17) in L.A. (he had waited a year because at 16 it was considerably more!).

Quote Originally Posted by curtc
    A G35 is far from a low cost vehicle own, any luxury car actually. You pay to play when it comes to luxury. I will say a lower mileage Infiniti is probably more reliable than 15 year old Cadillac at 171k though.
    We've had our 2004 g35 sedan 40kmilesand the only thing we've done is the oil, brake pads and rotors, but coming up we are planning to drain and fill the tranny fluid, change coolant, and the ses light has came on. But hopefully I can find any car that is kind of new, and cheap. But something I can handle on a daily basis. I've recently made a friend that owns many salvage yards, and can give me a really good deal on lightly damaged cars, which I have no problem fixing myself. And my dad owns a part store so anything on the car besides body panels, we can get wholesale I'm not really spoiled just a teen with high hopes

----------

DTC P1559 Cruise Control Power Management Mode HISTORY
    DTC P1632 Theft Deterrent Fuel Disable Signal Received HISTORY ( thats what probably that didnt let me start the car)
    DTC B2710 PASSKey Open/Shorted Pellet HISTORY
    DTC B2711 PASSKey Open/Shorted Pellet After Good Key HISTORY
    DTC B2780 Wrong Resistor Before Good HISOTRY
    DTC B1341 Air Mix Door Two Movement Fault hISTORY ( what is this???)
    couple a/c codes and other codes but not important, havent cleared all codes in a while,
    DTC B1558 BCM EPROM Checksum Error HISTORY ( think thats old, not sure)

I CANT find IRC B1770... anyone? also its history.. also IRC B1771
    DTC U1300 Class 2 Short to Ground HISTORY thats new i think

ALSO my rear suspension is tooooo low. When i was pulling the codes, the compressor was on the WHOLE time, about 2 minutes. my car is riding very low. ABout 2 months ago i did a inspection at the schools shop. the previous owner had the BIG CHROME rims we bought the car with the original rims. when i looked at the rear shock. i saw a piece of tube with a screw at the open end covering the air inlet to the air bladder. i was like WHAT THE hell did they do? a couple of my posts ago, i said the conecttor at the air bladder was broken. how do i fix it? and how can i fix the ELC??? please help

Mafiaman111 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Eldorado 171000 miles Black on Black

Good luck buying a car on the cheap because if you pay anything less then 4K for a car your not getting much of a car anymore and buying cars from the junkyard are not good idea due to the fact most of the titles will be branded as salvage and that will cause your insurance rates to skyrocket and many insurers will not even insure an R-Title or Salvage title car.

BigPimpinCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC VIN 9

Quote Originally Posted by Mafiaman111 View Post
    Good luck buying a car on the cheap because if you pay anything less then 4K for a car your not getting much of a car anymore and buying cars from the junkyard are not good idea due to the fact most of the titles will be branded as salvage and that will cause your insurance rates to skyrocket and many insurers will not even insure an R-Title or Salvage title car.
    Hey that's not entirely true I paid $1200 for my 96 Eldorado ETC with absolutely no huge huge problems and a new transmission. only things that went wrong when after owning it so far is the starter going out and needing a right rear wheel hub, new cat converter (Got it for $200, welded on for free) and obvious maintenence.. maybe I got lucky, who knows.

But on topic... dude I was 16, got my first car. 96 Eldorado ETC. Thought it wasn't that great. Of course I wanted something fast, I wanted a mustang or camaro. I whined that we only had $1500 to spend on a car and I got this. Little did i know after getting her smogged after 2 months, she is the most amazing car I've driven (I've driven my parents cars, my brothers, grandmas, etc and now i have a jeep) she's so smooth on the road.. hasn't broke down on me on long trips ever (aside from my heater core bursting to pieces nearby home... lol) I wanted to speed, race, and show off. Now I show off in my cadillac, cruisin down the road bumpin.. looking like a baller. You seem like you haven't had this Cadillac long and I suggest you keep it. You have a very good car and it's a shame you don't really see the beauty in it yet. Yeah I agree another newer vehicle may be more reliable but I've never been in something that has had a smoother, more comfortable ride than my caddy.. she always gets looks from people and compliments. This isn't a slow car either. It's got some kick to it, but it's for cruising.. goodluck to you and whatever you plan. I do suggest keeping your eldo...
    Mine has 182k miles and still is so smooth on the road..
    SliceOfLife likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.