Crappy day with many problems - 1998 ESC - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Crappy day with many problems - 1998 ESC in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok so I have to reply again because something is annoying me. So today at lunch I took the car ...
    eldorado_sean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98' Eldorado ESC
    Ok so I have to reply again because something is annoying me. So today at lunch I took the car out for an hour. Drove at least 10 miles. When I got up toward the top of the mountain/ big hill. I stopped at a park to just relax for a moment. Then a burning smell came once I stopped. It's been happening since I fixed the car. More than 10 months and I haven't really minded, but today I wanted to find the smell. The smell is coming from right side near my surge tank/ firewall. I can't really locate it but it's strongest in that general area. Next my driver side mirror is brown, I heard that it's a liquid behind the glass that is seeping, do I have to change it? And is it hard? Lastly my gas gauge is annoying me again. For 10-15 after I started driving I pulled into 7-11, went in reverse and parked( a very slight incline going backwards). Then my gas gauge went to empty and will not raise up a tiny bit unless going up a steep hill( which I did) and lastly I've been getting 11.7 mpg!!!! I don't understand how my milage could be soo low. I have never taken it past 3k in many weeks. And I smell a lot of gas at warmup. We barely passed emission test a couple months ago. Main thing is I want my mpg at least to 20... Any ideas? Please if anyone can give me advice on all of these problems ?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Crappy day with many problems - 1998 ESC

Burning smell - Does it smell like burning rubber? Check the serpentine belt, tensioner & idler pulley bearings, A/C compressor clutch pulley bearing.

Mirror - you have to change it if you want the auto dimming to work. You can pop the glass out and pop a new one in if you can find one. Get one from the Men's Mall and just swap the glass. That would be the cheapest and easiest.

Gas gauge - You probably need to replace the sending unit in the tank.

Gas smell - Check for a leaky FPR.
    04GrandAmGT likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Burning smell - Does it smell like burning rubber? Check the serpentine belt, tensioner & idler pulley bearings, A/C compressor clutch pulley bearing. Mirror - you have to change it if you want the auto dimming to work. You can pop the glass out and pop a new one in if you can find one. Get one from the Men's Mall and just swap the glass. That would be the cheapest and easiest. Gas gauge - You probably need to replace the sending unit in the tank. Gas smell - Check for a leaky FPR.
    I haven't had freon in the system for at least 9 months. At cold start it also has a high pitch whine, but after school I never hear it, since it's pretty warm now in Cali( high 80s). Planning on going to men's mall Saturday, does it have a motor that moves it? And my gas gauge was working perfectly before I pulled into 7-11.

Heard about FPR, tried to find an in depth one, couldn't find it, also how do I release the pressure in the fuel rail? Do I find the pull up on the fpr? Any other steps after I pull it? Don't really understand the process( a link would be great)

The high pitched whine could be anything, tensioner, idler or A/C clutch pulley bearing, belt, manifold over pressure relief valve seal leak causing a high pitched vacuum leak.

The motors that move the mirror stay with the mirror assembly. The mirror is mounted with 4 ball & sockets. It's just popped into the 4 sockets and get pried out.

Just pull the vacuum line off the FPR at idle and look for fuel leaking from the nipple. There should be none. If you need to replace it, THEN relieve fuel pressure. Fuel pressure is relieved like letting the air out of a tire via the shreader valve on the fuel rail. Hold a rag over it to soak up the gas that will come out. If you need to replace it just pull the retainer clip and remove it with BOTH O rings.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    The FPR is on the driver side rear part of the fuel rail. Pull the beauty cover. Holding the FPR itself is a U shaped clip holding it down. Release the fuel pressure via the valve on the other end of the rail, grab a towel to catch and avoid it spraying everywhere. The longer the car sits, the less pressure is built up in the rail, your call.

The FPR is circled in red and the schreader valve is circled in yellow.

04GrandAmGT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 04 Grand Am GT,07 Cobalt(Dont Judge,My fuel Saver)

i had my first Caddy when i was young my black on black STS sold that car and got my 01 DTS kinda miss the sportiness of the STS but i like the "old man" Luxury with the DTS lol, anyways by the sounds of it i would get that car in running order as soon as most everything is good to go SELL it and Run from that car, unless you know how to pull the engines yourself or do most stuff yourself its not worth it. These cars can have issues with more things than you can think of and if your not prepared for the worst you best bet would be to break even and sell the car, but if you are optimistic and you are willing to work on it we will try and help as best we can, have any questions call us at 1-888-800-9470 My name is Evrett and i will be happy to assist you.

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Evrett, Sales Executive of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

Ok so after my latest thread about the smoke at startup, I checked my coolant level, inspected and found a completely unconnected hose.

----------

Turns out it was the tranny vent

----------

Haha! I pulled the fpr and the whole thing was filled with gas.

Is this the fpr? And its all wet
    Attached Images

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

That's it - the bottom end should be wet with fuel - the vacuum nipple/diaphragm dome must be dry - dry.

IF that FPR is faulty its replacement will make a definite improvement in your gas mileage, performance, and startup quality.

The transmission vent tube is capped with a metal wiggle thingy and is usually clipped to the throttle cable bracket at the throttlebody top side.

EDIT: In your engine, ideally, the fuel pressure at idle - measured at the fuel rail test port, black cap - should be ~41 - 47 psi. Take a hartd look at that FPR and exactly how it's aligned - you want the new one to be the same, and be vbery tender with that plastic vacuum line to the throttlebody - if it breaks, take the whole thing to a parts store and get a piece of rubber vacuum tubing the same size as the rubber end connectors and replace the whole mess with one rubber line.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Is this the fpr?
    YES -

And its all wet
    the diaphragm has ruptured -
    so the FPR needs to be replaced -

http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/el..._sean/library/

this is the caption of each one
    SORT BY NEWEST FIRST!
    1:the fpr?
    2 that plug in the middle came off VERY easily, its pretty snug now
    3 that thing comes off REALLY easily a little wiggle and it slides out.
    4 It says its a fuel line but is has an green HVAC cap on it. it looks wet and has some blueish green things on it
    5,6,7 just another pic of the fuel/ac line? What is it?
    8,9,10 just a pic of the engine.. see anything wrong?
    11,12, is that green hose original? or did the mechanic do it?
    13,14,15,16 its the tube i found. THIS is the tranny vent right?

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado_sean View Post
    http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/el..._sean/library/

this is the caption of each one
    SORT BY NEWEST FIRST!
    1:the fpr?
    Yes

2 that plug in the middle came off VERY easily, its pretty snug now
    Maybe someone failed to seat it properly

3 that thing comes off REALLY easily a little wiggle and it slides out.
    That's the PCV valve. It shouldn't take too much to remove it, BUT it should be a tight seal or you'll have an idle problem. It will stall if you remove it at idle.

4 It says its a fuel line but is has an green HVAC cap on it. it looks wet and has some blueish green things on it
    Can't tell from that picture. It's too close.

5,6,7 just another pic of the fuel/ac line? What is it?
    Ditto

8,9,10 just a pic of the engine.. see anything wrong?
    Not from that picture.

11,12, is that green hose original? or did the mechanic do it?
    That is a factory silicone hose. They used silicone because of the heat in that area and because it is not easy to get to.

13,14,15,16 its the tube i found. THIS is the tranny vent right?
    Yes, that's the transmission vent tube.

Ok so I need a new fpr. Is there a specific brand I should get? And my idle is perfect don't know why it's so loose? Oh how do I take the whole thing out? Does it just pull up?

Pretty much any brand will do. This is not a finicky or highly technical part.

Yes, just pull the retainer clip and remove it. Make sure you get BOTH O rings out with it (and replace both O rings) and be sure to bleed off the fuel pressure first unless you want a gasoline shower.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.