Crappy day with many problems - 1998 ESC - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Crappy day with many problems - 1998 ESC in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; There's another member with a white Eldorado with front end damage. I think some members are thinking it was you. ...
    MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    There's another member with a white Eldorado with front end damage. I think some members are thinking it was you.

As for the dent (crease), I guarantee you, nobody's fixing that correctly in 30 minutes.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Re: Crappy day with many problems - 1998 ESC

That answers a little. I couldn't figure out why some members were being so hard on this guy. I don't see anything in this thread to warrant it.

As for the dent, that looks like a paintless dent repairman's cakewalk. While maybe not 30 minutes, that looks perfectly doable. I don't see any hard sharp crease that requires conventional bodywork.
    SliceOfLife likes this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    That answers a little. I couldn't figure out why some members were being so hard on this guy. I don't see anything in this thread to warrant it.
    I agree.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado_sean View Post

Funny thing is my air bladders aren't even inflating at all, compressor always runs, like the other day I was pulling the codes and the compressor was on the whole time( about 2 minutes)
    Once again, you have a leak in one of the air lines or one is disconnected. While the compressor is running, spray the connections with soapy water. A leak will start to foam. Also look for anywhere that one of the line may be rubbing the body and chaffing.

kaceyseldo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 97 eldorado
    Care of ranger: couldn't it be the level sensors corroded or in-operational?

No. The sensor is commanding the compressor on and it is running as it is supposed to, but the shock boots are not inflating so the air must be going someplace.

eldorado_sean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98' Eldorado ESC
    Does anyone have a diagram Of the system? Are there common places that the air usually leaks from? And the clip that connects to the shock is broken on one side. Its on the shock but one side of the clip is missing. It's held on with zipties. And do I just spray the WHOLE rear suspension or what? Just the lines? Details would be appreciated greatly!

2kflhr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade, '97 Eldorado ETC, '97 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Even a well taken care of, low mileage example, will cost several thousand dollars a year in maintenance and repairs (especially if no major work has been done to it yet).
    Sorry, I have to dispute that statement, at least for my wife's '97 ETC. I've had it since it was one year old I've only have had to replace the trunk pull down motor (BTB warranty), positive ground cable (BTB warranty), blower motor, electric antennae, coolant sensor and reservoir tank ,AC compressor/drier/orifice and the steering position sensor. Oh yea, replace the battery twice.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Your wife must never drive the Eldorado because surely in all these years it would have need a radiator, air conditioning compressor and a couple of sets of front wheeling bearing units to name just a few of what are maintenance items on these cars.

eldorado_sean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98' Eldorado ESC
    How many miles?

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

The '95 STS currently has 78,000 and the '02 SLS (bought with 23,000) now has 74,000 after seven years owbership.

I would have to agree with 2kflhr in that they are no more expensive to maintain than any other car. Bought mine with 17K on it. Now at 105K. Radiator and wheel bearings are original. No A/C problems. All I have replaced is the battery, brakes, tires and rear shocks. Maybe one or two minor things I am forgetting.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Not everyone is so lucky. And if we're talking about older cars, or higher mileahe ones, or ones that have been "pimped out" by previous owners, the higher the chances are that the car was neglected and/or for sale because it was beginning to be a money pit for the owner. Hell, my car was a well maintained, '62K, elderly driven car from florida. Let me list some of the more major stuff it's needed in the last couple of years :shocks/struts and strut mounts, steering rack, outer tie rods, lower front control arms, rear control arms and links, sway bar links front and rear, WP, radiator, surge tank, most of the A.I.R. system..... It wasn't from damage or lack of maintenance, things start to fail after a decade. I've needed more than most, but even a fraction of that work would cost thousands at a shop, especially with OEM parts (and retaining active suspension).

Let me clarify. I'm not saying they're MORE expensive to repair than other luxury vehicles, I'm saying that they, like any luxury car, are not cheap to maintain, and are not new driver friendly. More things to fail, many parts are more complicated than their counterparts on less expensive vehicles, and if you aren't doing your own work, many shops are either unwilling to work on them, clueless, price gouge like crazy, or a combination of all 3, as we hear about here all the time.

...My father has a '93 Accord, very well maintained with OEM parts. Every time he feels a repair he needs is a bit expensive, I remind him what it would cost on my car .
    orconn likes this.

Jwither is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 STS

Definitely more things to fail, like ELC, dual zone a/c, power seats (as standard equip), power antenna, and rainsense wipers are just a few examples of things that can go wrong on my car that don't exist in many other cars from the mid 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Let me list some of the more major stuff it's needed in the last couple of years :shocks/struts and strut mounts, steering rack, outer tie rods, lower front control arms, rear control arms and links, sway bar links front and rear, WP, radiator, surge tank, most of the A.I.R. system.....
    Oh yeah, I replaced the A.I.R. pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwither View Post
    Definitely more things to fail, like ELC, dual zone a/c, power seats (as standard equip), power antenna, and rainsense wipers are just a few examples of things that can go wrong on my car that don't exist in many other cars from the mid 90's.
    Can't argue with that logic, but that true with any luxury car and is the price of luxury.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.