2003 STS - Rough idle and hesitation on takeoff - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2003 STS - Rough idle and hesitation on takeoff in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; OK - There are a slew of emissions controls that do not function until the engine coolant reaches about 160 ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 2003 STS - Rough idle and hesitation on takeoff

OK - There are a slew of emissions controls that do not function until the engine coolant reaches about 160 degrees and the powertrain controls shift to closed loop operation.

O2 sensors begin to be monitored then - along with a lot of other sensors.

Use this to try and get a feel for where/when this miss becomes apparent. Somewhere between 140 - 160 degrees coolant temp will put the problem in the emissions controls arena.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Given the history and remaining symptoms/codes, I'd still suspect the maf - even though you've 'cleaned' it. You'd really need a scope to actually verify anything at this point...

Adamhon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac STS

The miss starts around 140 degrees, is there any way to check the MAF?

Look through my albums for MAF pictures. Community tab ^^, Albums, the red Seville. They're a divorced installation, 5-wire, and do not tend to get in the least bit dirty in these particular cars. (1998 and later).

You already did the butt plug, so removal of the intake ducting is easy. Loosen the 3 band clamps and carefully work the flex end off the throttlebody and off the MAF. Unplug the MAF - carefully checking all 5 wires for integrity - and remove the MAF. Remember the rubber tab/finger orientation. See anything even remotely "dirty there"? Be very judicious in spraying anything to clean it - especially around those 3 tiny heated resistors. If the 3 resistors are properly spot welded (tiny steel wires) to the MAF bridges it's probably OK

Air filter as new ? Use a new WIX, Delco, Purolator, PartsMaster, FRAM air filter. The cutesy boutique wetted filters are pure unadulterated junk. If you need to oil-soak a filter media to trap dirt, then the filter itself has real problems........ and MAFs HATE oil.

Okay, I checked over the maf again, the 3 resisters all seemed to be fine. I sprayed dielectric cleaner all over everything really good, cleaned all the connections of the duct work and still had the problem. I took out the air filter for a minute and tried it to see if that did anything, still had the problem. It starts with the miss when the coolant guage gets to the 3rd line, about 165 degrees

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

"I have a 2003 Seville that is running really rough while idling in both park and gear, then hesitates a little when I start to accelerate but clears up almost immediately".

"I cleaned that and reset the SES light, the problem didn't clear up and now I am getting a P0303 code, cylinder 3 misfire".

"Again it seems to run fine other than in idle when it runs rough and has a slight hesitation when you first push the gas but clears up immediately. My gas mileage is down quite a bit as well, my car says 10 mpg in town when I typically would be around 14".

Given the fact that you had to replace a converter, at one time it is probably safe to say, extra fuel was being dumped into the converter. That or coolant. So far we haven't heard anything about over heating.

A steady miss indicates one of three things: a cylinder that isn't firing because of an ignition problem, a cylinder that isn't firing because it is not receiving fuel (multipoint fuel injected engines only), or a cylinder that has lost compression.

You have changed the ignition components thus far to no avail. You've cleaned the maf sensor to no avail.

If you're not throwing a code for the mass air flow, it's probably not that.

NOW, given the fact that you've recently replaced the converter, what does that leave us? By process of elimination thus far you have pretty much taken the ignition system out of the equation. If the vehicle "seems" to have power on acceleration BUT hesitates, you must have some what decent compression..........

What could possibly be left....FUEL/AND IT'S DELIVERY.

When you stated that the vehicle hesitates and clears up, that is a dead give away for poor fuel volume or pressure and/or ignition components. You've eliminated the ignition system already.

Given the fact you had to replace the converter, the fuel pump has probably been getting weaker thus making the pcm "dump" extra fuel to compensate. The extra fuel IF not burned completely ends up in the converter. Eventually heating it up and ruining it. Either clogging it or it eventually breaks apart, as in your case.

The converter didn't break on it's own. It was physically damaged or internally damaged. Given the fact you have a miss and NO lean codes, you can rule out vacuum leaks.

There will be no codes for low fuel pressure/volume.

We aren't that lucky.

"Ok, I am getting some codes again:
    P0300 random misfire "

What's common to all cylinders in a random misfire???

Fuel delivery/pressure and ignition components

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Time for a scanner with real time data so you can see what's going on without guessing. Very well could be a sensor failed in range that won't set a code but may not move when monitored.
    98eldo32v likes this.

A scanner would be helpful, yet a test for fuel pressure would take the fuel pump out of the equation also.

If the pump is delivering the proper amount of pressure and volume, that removes that part of the fuel system.

Has the fuel regulator been checked?

Yeah, that ^^^

Fuel pressure test gauge - rent it from a big parts store. Use the test port - black plastic cap - on the fuel rail.

Key ON - at least 40 psi. Running - 41 - 47 psi.

FPR - NO raw gas at the vacuum line/nipple, engine OFF. NO raw gas at the nipple, engine idling.

(This still smells like something related to the emissions change to closed loop.)

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

This is the 3rd time he was been advised to check the fuel pressure.

oldstuff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 66 convert-93-96-97-97-99 Eldorados

I've been reading all the replys and my take on it is: A misfire will cause a Cat that isn't in perfect condition to rattle. The reason for the missfire is probably an exhaust valve begining to leak which in its first stages will miss at a slow idle but on fast idle will allow enough compression to fire and smooth out. Fast idle when cold thus the miss.
    You need to do a compression test to be sure.
    Dave

Oldstuff,

How did the catalytic converter break apart in the first place?

They don't come fractured/ broken new? Something internally (engine function wise) or externally (physical damage) ruined the converter.

As stated, the vehicle has a hesitation/miss. The ignition system has been pretty much ruled out, UNLESS we have some BAD new parts. We've all at some time unfortunately have experienced that.

If unburned fuel enters the converter, we can ruin it. If coolant enters the converter, we can ruin it. Thus far coolant isn't an issue.

The ignition system has been pretty much scrutinized.

We have the fuel system, and compression left.
    I left the compression alone because the O.P. stated it cleared up upon acceleration.

Logically, that would leave the fuel system next, but we all know these motors can run with a little compression loss.

I'd rather the O.P. have to possibly put in a fuel pump and fuel filter than possible head gaskets

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Bad compression or burnt valves on a Northstar are pretty rare.

oldstuff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 66 convert-93-96-97-97-99 Eldorados

Do you suppose that a miss at idle caused by low compression might over fuel the Cat and cause failure? When the engine is missing (not from lack of fuel) the unburnt fuel has to go somewhere.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 98eldo32v View Post
    Oldstuff,

How did the catalytic converter break apart in the first place?

They don't come fractured/ broken new? Something internally (engine function wise) or externally (physical damage) ruined the converter.

As stated, the vehicle has a hesitation/miss. The ignition system has been pretty much ruled out, UNLESS we have some BAD new parts. We've all at some time unfortunately have experienced that.

If unburned fuel enters the converter, we can ruin it. If coolant enters the converter, we can ruin it. Thus far coolant isn't an issue.

The ignition system has been pretty much scrutinized.

We have the fuel system, and compression left.
    I left the compression alone because the O.P. stated it cleared up upon acceleration.

Logically, that would leave the fuel system next, but we all know these motors can run with a little compression loss.

I'd rather the O.P. have to possibly put in a fuel pump and fuel filter than possible head gaskets

Okay, I just got back from the mechanic, I have a tear or hole in the plenum? I tried spraying carb cleaner all over that with it running but evidently I didn't get it in the right place, he took a can of brake cleaner and sprayed right on it and the rpm's went right up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.