Yet another Strut question...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Yet another Strut question... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; OK, seems like more and more of us are hearing that we need new struts because of the annoying banging ...
    NoFear365@yahoo.com is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Yet another Strut question...

OK, seems like more and more of us are hearing that we need new struts because of the annoying banging and ratteling noises from up front. I've been to 3 mechanics so far and they can't figure it out. So they default to "You probably need struts... maybe..." Not satisfied with that, I broke down and went to the stealership. $900.00 (yes $900.00) later, I still have the ratteling noise. I was told that one strut mount was shot and both links were no good. I had other little things done here and there but yes, $900.00 and I still have the problem. The new mounts and links made NO difference whatsoever in ride quality or noise. I called the dealership back and what do they tell me?? "Oh, you probably need struts then". At $875.00 a piece, I want to hear YOU DEFINATLY NEED STRUTS.

My car still rides like new. And here's the kick of it... Now that the summer is almost here and the temps have been in the 80's or so, the noise is 99% gone!!! What gives!?!?!? I'm not putting 2 grand into my car for stuts to find out that it was never the problem to begin with.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

clusco is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Yet another Strut question...

Listen, take both front tires off and grease the CV joints. There are 2 grease accesses on each side. 1 visible and one you'll have to dip your head down under to see. when the CV boots run out of grease, it's metal on metal and then the CV boots will bust. If you are getting noise from the rear, it's likely that it's your arm control bushings. In that case, go to rockauto https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/mak,CADILLAC,1998 and enter into "suspension" and buy your bushings there. Let us know.

I don't want to lie to you, but I think I that may have been done already. But there's not harm in doing it again...

Thanks for the advice...

bigred is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 STS

Quote Originally Posted by clusco
    If you are getting noise from the rear, it's likely that it's your arm control bushings. In that case, go to rockauto https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/mak,CADILLAC,1998 and enter into "suspension" and buy your bushings there. Let us know.
    They only list "front" for control arm bushings. Is there some other culprit?

WarrenJ is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ETC Sequoia

Quote Originally Posted by NoFear365@yahoo.com
    I've been to 3 mechanics so far and they can't figure it out . . . . My car still rides like new.
    I'm confused a little here . . . .

Regards,
    Warren

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

His car still rides fine, but the suspention makes noise that's annoying. Exactly like my car, but I haven't put any money into figuring out what the problem is.

swimmster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Ditto.. my car has been to FOUR shops, the last of which the poor mechanic spent over 3.5 hours busting his butt trying to find the problem with my front end only to stare at the car dumbfounded.. after 3 test drives and constant prying, poking and proding at my front end KNOWING for sure that there is something making SO much noise that it's gotta be ready to fall off the damn car, NOTHING... can't find ANYTHING loose anywhere.. and this was all done on an alignment machine, so the tires were loaded and unloaded. if I drive next to a concrete barrier on the highway, you can hear lots of rattling over small bumps.. not to mention, my car pulls a little to the right. if I wiggle the steering wheel on the highway back n forth, the car kind of flops around like it's a boat on ice... kinda scary. especially with 2 young kids that have to ride in the car.. When I hit the gas HARD, the torque steer is now soo bad that the car will literally dart to the left into the other lane..

Yet NO ONE can find anything so much as even wiggling under my car.... you have NOOOO idea how annoying this is and the dealership will just start replaing all the things that are NOT broken to try to find this problem only because they are the dealership... these stupid cars are NOWHERE'S near worth wasting $3500 on at a dealership. I only paid $4000 for mine anyways. Not even at 100k miles yet. Just sad to know NOBODY has a fix for this problem except pulling the subframe assembly, struts and all and putting an entirly brand new assembly back on. and chances are, THAT might not fix the problem................

Whoever figures out the solution to this horrible problem should get a Pultzer Prize.

I've already had all the "other" rattling checks looked at.. I have excellent swaybar end links and bushings..

I've noticed something else for a while now too. When I start my car in the morning, I hear what sounds like that exact thump. Almost as if a mount is broken. The Caddy dealership insisted that it was ok. What the hell would cause this noise as I drive or start the car!?!

You're right, it's SOOOO annoying! Does your noise go away after you get a car wash or if it rains? Mine does along with when it's hot outside.

SEARIDER is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Have you checked the bearings on the wheels ?

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

I've noticed something else for a while now too. When I start my car in the morning, I hear what sounds like that exact thump. Almost as if a mount is broken. The Caddy dealership insisted that it was ok. What the hell would cause this noise as I drive or start the car!?!

You're right, it's SOOOO annoying! Does your noise go away after you get a car wash or if it rains? Mine does along with when it's hot outside.
    Sounds like a rubber bushing/mount of some sort. The heat and/or water is "lubricating" (water) or softening (heat) the bad part. IMHO, based on the symptoms you have described, I would rule out bearings, tierod ends etc. They generally stay bad, consistent if you will.
    Just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic
    Sounds like a rubber bushing/mount of some sort. The heat and/or water is "lubricating" (water) or softening (heat) the bad part. IMHO, based on the symptoms you have described, I would rule out bearings, tierod ends etc. They generally stay bad, consistent if you will.
    Just my $.02
    That's my thought process as well. That's why I'm having a hard time accepting the "You may need struts" statement.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

That's my thought process as well. That's why I'm having a hard time accepting the "You may need struts" statement.
    I haven't any experience (yet) with the Seville's suspension but aren't there some bushings on top of the struts?

CadillacEtc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 4,2006 STS 4, 2000 Seville STS, 2004 XLR **SOLD**

I have a 1996 ETC and it does the same thing. Sounds like a clunk noise, and it does feel like the car is floating. I am going to the dealer tommorow, and plan to take the tech out to help find out this problem. I had this car on a lift and everything seemed tight. The car has 80k on it, but everything in the front seems normal..but this noise is driving me insane

I will let you guys know what i find if anything !

sweetsevillegrl is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i can so relate to this my 93 seville does the same damn thing but i no i need struts an the dealer item only for 800 a piece thats insane they said a retrofit wud b almost a grand to put on im like wtf they betta b made outta gold!! my car is so bad that im embarrassed to go over a bump i rattles so bad u think the car is gonna cum off the frame it looks like i got hydrolics or sumthing cuz it bounces up an down when i go over rough roads im not gonna pay that much car has to much shit wrong with it an it has 215,000 miles on it . i have taken it to mechanics an they say its loose plates too i ask if they can do sumthing bout it.they tell me they wud have to do subframe work too

CadillacEtc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 4,2006 STS 4, 2000 Seville STS, 2004 XLR **SOLD**

Just an update.. got my car back from the dealer the mysterious clunk which i tortured the tech to go out on a test drive to hear was a broken stablizer link and the bushing were woren on the right side so i replaced both sides and the clunk is gone!

Its amazing how they can get 4.5 labor to diag and fix it .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.