Yet another Strut question... - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Yet another Strut question... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My car's diagnosis are broken strut mounts. The symptom I am having, is a very small bump when the wheel ...
    mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Re: Yet another Strut question...

My car's diagnosis are broken strut mounts. The symptom I am having, is a very small bump when the wheel is center and I turn left. As if someting moves (loose).

With 84K miles I'm sure I'm due for struts, but the ride is still acceptable, car does not bounce more than once or twice if I deliberately push down on it. I have the CVRSS suspension, so these struts are the most expensive ones (was it ~1500 a piece?).

Alignments no problem, no loose components. The other day, I thought I would tighten the bolts on the strut tower, and one broke off! So now I am even more concerned.

iametarq, good luck on your project--I would really appreciate the pics.

Happy new year guys.

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

mtflight,

I also have that CVRSS suspension, so mine were $800 each list price. found two on ebay with the help of Dadillac from this site for $995 shipped for both. OEM and New. Part numbers matched exactly to what gmpartsdirect and my local dealer gave me.

I'll definately post pictures of the process, probably wont be getting to it until end of the month, early february. i have to 'borrow' my friends' garages for these kinds of projects.

I forgot to mention that when i am going about 25-35 mph on a road with 'smooth' bumps and dips if i am not careful the front end will bottom out and scrape.

Wow, thanks iametarq--I look forward to it. For some reason I thought the SLS had passive suspension vs the STS which had the cvrss.

With wavy sections of highway or parkways (45 mph) my car will sort of float and oscillate, but never bottom out. So I guess I still have a few thousand miles--hopefully.

I look forward to your posting! I am in the same boat (no pun intended), regarding the lack of a personal garage.

Best Regards!

I'm pretty sure mine has the CVRSS. It has the Stabilitrak in addition to the traction control and when the dealer pulled up my VIN he said i had the active suspension. If active is different from CVRSS, i am not sure, but I thought they were the same, IF the original purchaser ordered the SLS that way. I was under the impression, at least. If I don't have CVRSS, i'm amazed at how the "Stability System Engaged" warning works when it comes on!

I should re-read the FSM tonight.

I think you're right. I believe prior to the 1998 redesign, the SLS had "passive struts," and that's where the confusion came from.

The SLS was the "luxury" vs the STS which was the "touring" version. I don't know the specifics on the Seville. On the Eldorados, the base model was the ESC, whereas the touring was the ETC. Only the touring version had CVRSS.

I wonder if the springs are different on the SLS vs STS? I believe they're the same on both versions of the Eldorado (25 N m ?).

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

That tape doesn't do crap....I've got it on my car. A bad strut mount will most certainly cause a clunk. I've got one in the left side, while making right turn on exit, and entrance ramps at almost any speed....but that's it. Sometimes, it also feels liek the coil spring is binding up and then releasing, causing the steering wheel to jerk back in the opposite direction a little when you go to turn it. I knwo I've got a bad strut mount on at least the left side, but I don't want to spend the money just yet, because the car still rides fine, and only makes the noise under unusual circumstances.

cboggs2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Eldorado ETC, 1997 Seville SLS

My dad has a 1997 DeVille. The care rode great but he had a banging noise in the right front and I replaced the front struts and the noise went away.

I used a set of passive struts from Suspension Alternatives which I bought in ebay for $185.00 including shipping.

They worked out great.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Quote Originally Posted by iametarq
    I'm pretty sure mine has the CVRSS. It has the Stabilitrak in addition to the traction control and when the dealer pulled up my VIN he said i had the active suspension. If active is different from CVRSS, i am not sure, but I thought they were the same, IF the original purchaser ordered the SLS that way. I was under the impression, at least. If I don't have CVRSS, i'm amazed at how the "Stability System Engaged" warning works when it comes on!

I should re-read the FSM tonight.
    Go out to your car, and look at the struts. If it is active struts, it will have an electrical coonection on it. If there are no electrics, you bought the wrong struts. My SLS does not have active suspension. The struts were cheap at about $198.00 for the pair. Hopefully, if they are wrong, you can turn them around quickly, to recoupe your $.

Don

Oh by the way, my SLS has stabilitrac and traction control. I guess that these do not go hand in hand with the active suspension.

Don

Don,

I'm going to trust my dealer on this! The part numbers he gave me for my struts according to my VIN # matched the ones I purchased on ebay. I guess we'll find out for sure this week or next!

Well that is a good sign. I know that in 2002, you could not get the active suspension in the SLS. It wasn't even an option. I must have missed the part about the dealer giving the part numbers through the VIN. That is the most accurate way to get the correct part.

Don

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac
    Oh by the way, my SLS has stabilitrac and traction control. I guess that these do not go hand in hand with the active suspension.

Don
    Stabilitrac, Traction Control, and Antilock Brakes all work hand in hand with eachother through the EBTCM (Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module). They don't have anything to do with the suspension system though.

I received my new struts today, that have the wiring harness. I'm guessing that means I do have the CVRSS / Active Suspension? Not sure what the difference is on those two titles.

I also checked my current front struts and they also have the harness coming out of the strut and then disappearing into the engine compartment.

Below is a picture of the new struts. Plan on seeing photos of the replacement in 3 weeks, the weekend after I go to the auto show in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by iametarq
    I received my new struts today, that have the wiring harness. I'm guessing that means I do have the CVRSS / Active Suspension? Not sure what the difference is on those two titles.
    Yep. CVRSS is the official name (continuously variable road sensing suspension). The valves inside the strut are controlled electronically (the size of the opening). So when the opening narrows, the strut becomes "harder" because there is more resistance in the oil getting through the valve.

CVRSS is newer than RSS. Then there's the older air struts (pre-Northstar), which are also called "Active" but they're not related whatsoever... self leveling is another ball game.

The change after CVRSS, was to Magnaride (?)... in which the fluid has metallic particles that became viscous when a charge is applied (vs. opening and closing of a valve).

I don't think SLS prior to 98 had CVRSS, only the STS. I am not sure if it was standard, or optional.

Well I'd be interested to know how the car feels when you change them. Also of course, the pictures, in case I choose to do the replacement down the line.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NoFear365@yahoo.com
    So the holidays came and went and I finally brought it into the shop. The mechanic now says that he feels it's the strut mount. I told him that I already had them changed at Cadillac. He said that with the car up on the lift, he can replicate the noise by having someone turn the wheel back and forth. He said that when the wheels turn left and right, he can actually see the strut moving. Nothing is loose on top of the tower as well. He said it's either the mount (I doubt it because this didn't fix it originally) or it's the physical integrity of the strut itself...

I'm ready to give up here... I'm ready to just buy the $500 package from Strutmasters and start over again...
    I think the nature of the front suspension allows the struts to move when you turn the wheel. IF you take the caps off the strut towers (under the hood), you will see the struts move as someone gently turns the wheel. They move in sync, so I think it's normal. The noise, is obviously something that under load is silent, but then when the car bounces or the suspension drops from the car (hole), the tension is gone and it just rattles. The question is--where the hell is it coming from?!

I would guess that to find the sound, you'd have to have the car on a lift, with the wheels hanging, then try to push up on the wheels to see what's loose. The rubber malet sounds like a good idea (Krashed's idea).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.