Yet another Strut question... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Yet another Strut question... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi guys, the struts do make your wallet scream at the sound of the replacement parts... my 97 ETC bounces ...
    lathe2nd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 ETC '94 SLS

Re: Yet another Strut question...

Hi guys, the struts do make your wallet scream at the sound of the replacement parts... my 97 ETC bounces like a hooptie (or worse) at certain speeds over bumps and I have determined that they definately need replacement; however the local Advance auto parts store here has aftermartket replacements for just under $500 a piece (still hurts but not as painful as $800 from the stealership), so far seems to be the best choice of replacing the struts as I really don't want to install the passive struts.

But back to your question 300HP ETC, my opinion based on the available info is if your ride is decent particularly over bumps it could be bushings or the stabilizer link as mentioned above. Good Luck!

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Dude, NoFear365@yahoo.com, it sounds to me like you need new sway bar end links. They cost about $60 for each end but they are usually the cause of the clunk sound in the front (if its not the struts, and from what you said yours is not the struts). I just replaced mine, its not that hard to do.

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Post Clunk, Rattle Noise from Front of Vehicle.....

OOPs! There's a technical bulletin out for the rattling front-end noise!

Check this out:

#99-03-08-005 Clunk, Rattle Noise from Front of Vehicle (Install Anti-Slip/Friction Material) - (Oct 11, 1999)

Condition

Some customers may comment that a clunk, rattle or metal-to-metal noise from the left front or right front of the vehicle can be heard in the passenger compartment. This condition may be more noticeable in cold weather conditions.

Cause

This condition may be due to the stabilizer bar rubber insulator "walking out" of it's seated position between the engine frame and the stabilizer mounting bracket/clamp during large suspension movements.

Correction

Install a 50 mm (2 in) by 38 mm (1.5 in) strip of anti-slip/friction material such as 3M® SAFETY-WALK ™General Purpose Tread Tape, P/N 19221, or equivalent, between the engine frame and the stabilizer shaft insulator.

Repair Procedure
    1. Raise the vehicle. Refer to "Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle" in General Information.
    2. Remove the stabilizer shaft bracket/clamp bolts (1).
    3. Remove the stabilizer shaft bracket/clamp (2).
    4. Remove the stabilizer shaft insulator (3).
    5. Clean the engine frame surface (5) of any debris or grease.
    6. Remove the paper backing from a 50 mm (2 in) by 38 mm (1.5 in) strip of anti-slip/friction material such as 3M® SAFETY-WALK ™General Purpose Tread Tape, P/N 19221, or equivalent (4).
      • The adhesive side is installed on the engine frame.
      • The 50 mm (2 in) side of the strip must be positioned fore/aft on the engine frame.
    7. Install the tape to the engine frame (5).
    8. Install the stabilizer shaft insulator (3).
    9. Install the stabilizer shaft bracket/clamp (2).
    10. Install the stabilizer shaft bracket/clamp bolts (1).TightenRefer to the applicable Service Manual for the appropriate tightening specifications.
    11. Lower the vehicle.
    Additional Information

For product availability, order information or technical assistance, contact your local 3M representative or call 1-800-521-8180, extension 5165.

In Canada call 1-800-461-56600.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

E2180

Insulator and/or Bracket, Front Stabilizer Shaft at Frame (LH and/or RH) - Repair

0.4 hr

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
    Attached Images

Rick94STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This is GREAT info! I will check this out over the weekend

bigmutt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hi, I hope y'all get your front end rattles fixed;
    but ....... what's this thing that lots of you seem to have about buying parts at rockauto dot com???? they are SO expensive, literally every single time I check & compare prices with gmpartsdirect.com
    Struts (GM OEM) for example for my '99 SLS are $555 at rockauto, but $387 at gmpartsdirect (these are the eight hundred dollar ones from the dealer). just priced them a couple of days ago, because I too was told I need new struts.

and listen, I have no affiliation with either of these discount suppliers of GM Delco parts.
    so check it out.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Occasionally I've found rockauto to be cheaper than GM parts direct. GMPD tends to charge a hell of a lot for shipping.

Anyway I've never worried about my car, it makes a clunking noise when it goes over bumps, but it still rides great (not so much now that I have 40 series tires on 17s) and handles great (even better now...) so I haven't worried about it. Thing is, I can't even tell if it's coming from the front or the back, how the heck do you tell with a noise like that? Stick your head out the window?

Rick94STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigmutt
    Hi, I hope y'all get your front end rattles fixed;
    but ....... what's this thing that lots of you seem to have about buying parts at rockauto dot com???? they are SO expensive, literally every single time I check & compare prices with gmpartsdirect.com
    Struts (GM OEM) for example for my '99 SLS are $555 at rockauto, but $387 at gmpartsdirect (these are the eight hundred dollar ones from the dealer). just priced them a couple of days ago, because I too was told I need new struts.

and listen, I have no affiliation with either of these discount suppliers of GM Delco parts.
    so check it out.

I AGREE with you, GM parts direct has great prices, I use them alot.

I am disappionted because I checked my front swaybar bushings today and did not find anything wrong as described in the above post, I was hoping to find the source of my front end rattle there, so I may be going with new struts as well

kevinc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Did anyone try the tape? I'm about ready to force my dealer on extended warrany to try it
    Kevin

NoFear365@yahoo.com is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Holy shit, if this works I'll be the happiest person in the world!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick94STS
    I AGREE with you, GM parts direct has great prices, I use them alot.

I am disappionted because I checked my front swaybar bushings today and did not find anything wrong as described in the above post, I was hoping to find the source of my front end rattle there, so I may be going with new struts as well

Did you check your end links? Remember BOTH wheels have to be level with eachother in order for the bar to not be under load. Whaen it is under load, it is very difficult to find any problems with the end links.

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

LOL I posted this originally, and I am starting to hear the clunk/rattle when going over speed bumps (as I'm coming out of them).

Anyone try it? Krashed989 ... where's a good place to go, or what's your advice? You seem to know a lot about alignments/suspensions. Your advice is appreciated.

If the clunk happens when you're coming out of a speed bump than it is the rear that is making the noise. There is a sway bar back there too ya know. If the noise is coming from the rear, 90% of the time it will be from the rear sway bar bushings. The other 10% is for those rarities that you have to search for. My favorite way of searching for the cause of clunks is with a rubber malet. You have to know what you're hitting though, otherwise you may break something. Just give the sway bar a good whack in various places and you should be able to pinpoint the culprit. Remember that the wheels have to be level with eachother though.

Has anyone tried this yet? I think after the holidays, I'm going to have this done. It's just getting worse and worse. I feel it in my floor board and steering wheel. It drives me nuts! Its definatly a bushing issue because when it rains or when I get the car washed, the noise goes away 100%. Also, the car handles 10 times better as well. If I'm going straight, it rattles like CRAZY! If I make a turn, the rattles go away until I straighten the wheel out.

And yes, I've changed the stabilizer bar links. They are OEM Delcos and are less than 7 months old now. They've only got about 3000 miles on them. (I only drive about 6000 miles a year now)

So the holidays came and went and I finally brought it into the shop. The mechanic now says that he feels it's the strut mount. I told him that I already had them changed at Cadillac. He said that with the car up on the lift, he can replicate the noise by having someone turn the wheel back and forth. He said that when the wheels turn left and right, he can actually see the strut moving. Nothing is loose on top of the tower as well. He said it's either the mount (I doubt it because this didn't fix it originally) or it's the physical integrity of the strut itself...

I'm ready to give up here... I'm ready to just buy the $500 package from Strutmasters and start over again...

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

NoFear,

I think my symptoms are similar to yours. car squeaks when it bounces up and down over bumps in COLD weather. In warm weather it's barely noticeable, if i remember correctly.

I had sway bar bushings replaed last fall, and that eliminated a lot of rattling over bumps but there is still some there.

I took it in to a shop to have it inspected and they said it needs new struts all the way around, but the fronts are far worse than the rears. I dont think the rears are that bad at all.

I have ordered new front struts, OEM, the $800 a piece ones. As soon as they come in and I get them on the car I will post back with the results. I will also make a document on how to replace the struts like I did with the rear brake pads and rotors.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.