'96 Eldo Antenna and Cold Weather
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By N*Caddy
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, '96 Eldo Antenna and Cold Weather in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My antenna will freeze in the fully retracted position now that the weather is cold. Is it bad for the ...
    Markosan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado ETC

'96 Eldo Antenna and Cold Weather

My antenna will freeze in the fully retracted position now that the weather is cold. Is it bad for the motor if I turn on the stereo in order to play a cassette? I have also had the antenna go up 2/3 of the way or not fully retract on very cold days, does the motor keep working to extend/retract it in this case? I want to of course avoid burning my motor out. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: '96 Eldo Antenna and Cold Weather

If you keep running the motor when the mast is frozen, I would think something has got to give.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by Markosan View Post
    My antenna will freeze in the fully retracted position now that the weather is cold. Is it bad for the motor if I turn on the stereo in order to play a cassette? I have also had the antenna go up 2/3 of the way or not fully retract on very cold days, does the motor keep working to extend/retract it in this case? I want to of course avoid burning my motor out. Thanks.
    ----------------------------
    you could solve the problem by wiping down the antenna mast with WD40 -

water/moisture is causing the mast to freeze/stick -

WD40 displaces water -

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

The short answer to your question: NO, DO NOT turn on the stereo, unless your life depends on it or you don't care of the $70 a new antenna will cost you.

The power antenna motor is powered all the time it is in between the fully up and fully down position.
    Let me rephrase that:
    1. Going up is powered all then time until it reaches the end fully extended position
    2. Going down is powered all the time until it reaches the fully retracted position

Ss if you turn your stereo on (regardless if Radio, Tape or CD changer) the power antenna motor will be continuously powered (indefinitely) up to moment is fully extended.
    Obviously the power antenna motor doesn't draw enough current to blow the fuse (unless there is a short the fuse won't blow) and it would be a dumb design not to have some kind of protection and rely solely on the contact switches. In case the power antenna is mechanically stuck the winding in the motor will eventually thermally destroy (possible fire hazard). So there is a thermal contact in the power antenna motor that will disconnect the power to the motor if the motor receive power for a longer than normal amount of time. The thing is this contact will eventually cool down and engage again, and again the motor receives power and the cycle continues. What that means, the power antenna motor will be hot to the touch and you van hear a click periodically (that is the thermal contact going on and off).
    Now you have to understand this is an emergency protection, is NOT designed to work all the time thus eventually the protection contact will burn out (there are sparks when is disconnecting/connecting - is enclosed in glass kind of like a small light bulb), or the motor winding will burn out.

I am pretty sure the owner's manual advise against dressing the power mast. Lubrication will make it get dirty and possibly seize. That being mentioned I actually do wipe it occasionally with a WD40 rag but I clean it pretty often in between with a clean rag.
    Markosan likes this.

I will clean it more often. I don't have a garage and weather-wise things have been a mess here. I won't touch the stereo again until it thaws out, thanks for the detailed reply. Luckily I can be content with my little AM pocket radio or my own singing voice.

Seamaster_007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by Markosan View Post
    I will clean it more often. I don't have a garage and weather-wise things have been a mess here. I won't touch the stereo again until it thaws out, thanks for the detailed reply. Luckily I can be content with my little AM pocket radio or my own singing voice.
    Just remove the trunk liner and disconnect the power plug to power antenna until spring. Enjoy your Cd's/Cassettes for the winter, or live with the not-so-great radio reception, why they didn't integrate the antenna in the windows is beyond me..

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Turn the radio on and go back there and see what you hear. Usually it will try to move for a few seconds and then stop to protect the motor.
    The next time it goes up try cleaning and see what happens. It shouldn't freeze.

I have been keeping it clean and had no problems as of late. I'm happy we are getting 50 degree weather this weekend, full wash and detail ahead.

Harry Yarnell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V

I
    I'm not sure the motor will run if the mast is stuck or jammed. The cutoff switch should kick in when it feels resistance (thinking the mast is at the end of travel) and turn off the motor.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

It doesn't feel resistance (per say), it just feels larger current than normal for longer period than normal and it will heat up and brake the contact. Is a bimetal contact inside a glass bubble (looks like a small light bulb).
    See I am always thinking of making things working right, never patching it, but yea very simple just disconnect the power wire from the antenna and problem solved.

Genius!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.