Battery not charging, service charging system message in cold weather
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Battery not charging, service charging system message in cold weather in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Last Wednesday, temperature was -6F. When car was started, it started ok but immediately got the message "Battery not charging, ...
    john19999 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Seville STS 2001, Eldorado 1997

Battery not charging, service charging system message in cold weather

Last Wednesday, temperature was -6F. When car was started, it started ok but immediately got the message "Battery not charging, service charging sys". It got cleared in a few seconds. Battery voltage was about 14.9. Car drove fine with no repeat message. I got the same message today for a few seconds when I started car qnd got cleared automatically. Normally car starts and runs great.

What could be the reason for such a message. Any ideas please. Does this show battery or any other terminal dirty. Should I clean battery terminals. Should I put any conducting grease on terminal? Do I need to check any other connection (other than battery)?

Thanks
    John

----------

Forgot to mention that it is Seville STS 2oo1 for this issue.

Thanks
    John

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Battery not charging, service charging sys occasional message in cold weather (ch

Yes, check/clean all the battery cable terminals plus the alternator connector.

How old is the battery ? It's entirely possible that, in cold weather with its heavy starting loads placed on the system, when the engine starts the system senses an extreme low voltage condition and is "fooled" into showing a No Charge message until battery voltage rises a bit.

The 14.9 charging voltage, just after start, is correct. It will (should) ramp down to about 14.2 - 14.4 after a while depending on electrical loads.

Are you in a position to use a battery maintainer during extreme cold conditions ?

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: Battery not charging, service charging system message in cold weather

Quote Originally Posted by john19999 View Post
    Last Wednesday, temperature was -6F. When car was started, it started ok but immediately got the message "Battery not charging, service charging sys". It got cleared in a few seconds. Battery voltage was about 14.9. Car drove fine with no repeat message. I got the same message today for a few seconds when I started car qnd got cleared automatically. Normally car starts and runs great.

What could be the reason for such a message. Any ideas please. Does this show battery or any other terminal dirty. Should I clean battery terminals. Should I put any conducting grease on terminal? Do I need to check any other connection (other than battery)?

Thanks
    John

----------

Forgot to mention that it is Seville STS 2oo1 for this issue.

Thanks
    John
    -----------------------------
    What could be the reason for such a message.
    my guess is simply a momentary "glitch" caused by the extreme cold -

since the message and problem go away within a few seconds -
    I wouldn't be too concerned about it -

IF the problem gets worse - IE -
    the message stays on longer -

or the charging volts does NOT get into the upper 14 volt -
    or lower 15 volt range - when first started -

THEN you might need to get it looked at -

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I would at least have the battery load tested.

Battery is about 3 and half years old. I have not cleaned positvie terminal or positve side cables. Does anyone know the location of alternator 2 side terminals (positive and ground). I can use my garage to perform some maintenance this week, I will clean battery cables/terminals and alternator terminals if I can find out the locations.

Thanks
    Anwer

My car sts2001 was initially giving the message when just started the car and then will go away "service charging system and battery not charging". Now these messages stay during driving. A month ago when there were messages for short period, I cleaned battery terminals and changed the battery screws and the messages went away for about a month. Now when these messages stay, I tightened the battery screws, did not resolve the problem. I will clean once more battery terminals, any idea how to reach to alternator connector?

Thanks
    John

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Easiest way to reach the alternator is from beneath. Either your battery won't take a charge or the alternator is not charging it. You need to have it tested so you know what the problem is.

Have you pulled the DTC's?

04GrandAmGT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 04 Grand Am GT,07 Cobalt(Dont Judge,My fuel Saver)

14.9 is perfectly normal for 00+ Northstars i have noticed the 00+ N* like there voltage, clean all your point, also go to your local walmart and get a battery test done they ussually do it for free, they can check if there is any shot cells and cranking amps of the battery, (Used to work there)

----------

P.S. Everstart Batteries are Made by Energizer, Energizer bought them out.
    Replacing the Head Gaskets on a Northstar? Use our SureGrip Cylinder Head Stud Kit!

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Battery electrolyte and water can freeze in that weather. Current will not transfer from plate to plate frozen. At 3 1/2 years old, it would not be premature to replace it. And keep a 2 amp battery tender on it.

Re: Battery not charging, service charging sys occasional message in cold weather (ch

A dead battery will freeze because the electrolyte is then mostly distilled water: The sulfuric acid is deposited on the plates as lead sulfate - and initially those deposits have the consistency of snot.

A battery charged to over 70% will not freeze until WAY below 0F.

If a battery is left in a mostly discharged state for a period of time the lead sulfate on the plates crystallizes and no amount of charging will break it up and drive it back into solution as sulfuric acid.

A modern smart "Battery Minder" is a perfect solution to cold, batteries, and early failure.

NEVER even come close to attempting to charge a frozen battery - NEVER !

submariner409 and carnut,

I am not very familair with battery mider. Should I get any low ampear battery charger like 2 Amp and charge battery for 24 hours or so. Should I just put the charger on the battery without removing battery terminals. Does the battery charger had to say "battery minder" or I can get any low amp battery charger. Thank you so much for your support.

Thanks
    John

Jwither is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 STS

I think what you want to search for is "float charger".

The Battery Minders and "battery maintainers" are smart 3-stage chargers, low amperage. You hook it up, plug it in and it first charges the battery to 100% capacity, then ramps down to about 13.3 volts or so at absolute minimum amperage in order to "float" the battery, prevent discharge, and - unlike a ferroresonant charger - will not boil the battery dry. Some models incorporate a high frequency jolt once in a while to assist in driving lead sulfate off the plates and back into solution in the electrolyte.

Google automotive battery minder or automotive battery maintainer - you'll find a slew of vendors selling various brands/models/sizes. A 1.5 to 3 Amp model is sufficient for all standard automotive batteries. Hook it up to the underhood jump points, plug it in and forget it - for months at a time. They use practically zippo house current.

If you want "smart charger" theory and operation, Google guest battery charger or xantrex battery charging systems.

For battery theory and charging theory, Google surrette battery specifications and balmar marine alternator voltage regulator

I pulled code. It was history: P0621 Generator Lamp "L" Control Circuit Malfunction

Any ideas what does this mean?

Since it is really very cold, I am planning to test the followin tomorrow in my garage:
    1. Check battery voltage before car is started
    2. Start car and check voltage at battery
    3. Remove and reconnect battery terminals

Since car is giving these messages about service charging system and battery not charging, I am worried that car may not stal on way to shop. Will float charging or battery minder help to charge the battery?

Thanks
    John

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by john19999 View Post
    I pulled code. It was history: P0621 Generator Lamp "L" Control Circuit Malfunction

Any ideas what does this mean?

Since it is really very cold, I am planning to test the followin tomorrow in my garage:
    1. Check battery voltage before car is started
    2. Start car and check voltage at battery
    3. Remove and reconnect battery terminals

Since car is giving these messages about service charging system and battery not charging, I am worried that car may not stal on way to shop. Will float charging or battery minder help to charge the battery?

Thanks
    John
    ------------------------
    Will float charging or battery minder help to charge the battery?
    YES - they are weak - low power - battery chargers -
    designed to maintain a battery -
    specifically when the car is not driven for extended periods -
    as in being stored for several months at a time -

if your battery and charging system were in proper working condition -
    you would NOT need any external chargers - for a car used regularly -

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.