Realistic price for my car
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By MoistCabbage
  • 1 Post By ted tcb
  • 1 Post By ted tcb
  • 3 Post By ryannel2003
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Realistic price for my car in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 2003 STS currently has 172,300 km. It needs: New cat converter (PCM 0420 code) Heater not working New struts ...
    bwv565 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None at the moment but eyeing a 2016 XTS

Question Realistic price for my car

My 2003 STS currently has 172,300 km. It needs:
    New cat converter (PCM 0420 code)
    Heater not working
    New struts and shocks
    Potential new emergency/parking brake (haven't diagnosed yet)
    Front power seat mechanism failing
    Stereo speakers crackling for radio (CDs ok) (not badly but still noticeable)
    Front windows only work full auto up/auto down, but do not respond to mid-way stop as they should.
    Check Fuel Gage message (cleared and reappears occasionally).

Dealer offered me $1500 either cash or trade.

Is that reasonable? It hurts but I need a reliable winter car and I think it's time.

I don't want to go the private sale route.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Take the $1,500 and RUN!!!
    ben.gators likes this.

Re: Realistic price for my car

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Take the $1,500 and RUN!!!
    That's what I sort of figured.

On a totally unrelated note, I saw a '14 CTS on the dealer showroom floor. WOW. WOW. WOW.

Although, I think the plastic on the steering wheel and around the CUE display was a little much but all in all it is truly spectacular. Also looked at an XTS and what a beauty.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Check KBB & NADA. That ought to give you a good starting point.

I'm in Canada, so we use Canadian Black Book, not KBB and NADA. CBB says for a car with my mileage and in my area, trade-in value is about $1250 - $2950. But the private sale value it lists as $6500 which blows my mind. That's what I paid for the car in Feb. of this year and have put a lot into fixing it, which is never recoverable.

ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

Andy, it's too bad your STS has all those issues ... plus, I think it also needs new tires?
    There was a time I was tempted to purchase it ... a great looking STS.

Chatting with my dealer about STS' just on Friday ... at the Toronto auction, these cars are lucky to pull a grand, so your $1500 cash offer is fair .... ridiculous as I find it, it is fair.
    Your own car has been on Autotrader and Kijiji for about 6 months, and I suspect you are finding it very difficult to retail your way out of it.
    Could you not put 4 used snows on her and just fix the heater ... the STS makes a great winter beater, and you won't find anything for $2k to replace it with.
    I'd be tempted to invest a bit of $$$ and drive the STS until next spring ... then park it and drive the Mustang and Miata for the summer.

I just sold my 05 Outback Limited wagon with dedicated winter alloys and new IceGuard tires for just $5k. I didn't need two 4wd winter vehicles ... would've been great for you, plus the HG and T-Belt were done last year. I don't have a good pic of the car, but it was very clean. Sage green, beige leather, panoramic roof.

bwv565 likes this.

Great to hear from you, Ted. (I've been trying to send you a prvt msg but your inbox is full Let me know when you've cleared out some messages.)

Re: putting $$ into it and use it for the winter. No clue what it'll take to fix the heater. I don't want to drive a car with a CEL and bad/clogged cat converter, the gas mileage has seriously worsened (I've gone 33.3 KM on 1/4 tank, if I'm to believe the needle, which has also proven not to be reliable), tires are around $800 plus alignment (for the same original Michelins anyway), plus the suspension issues. I have to say though, yesterday on my way home from the LOF, in the middle of this huge snowstorm, the car felt as solid as a tank, and as comfortable and beautiful as always. It just makes me nervous. If I could find a similar STS with NO problems, or a DeVille/DTS I'd consider it.

Yeah it's been on CF, Kijiji, and Autotrader for a long time. What I don't understand is the HUGE difference between the 'trade-in' value vs. the 'private sale' value on CBB.

ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

Re: 2003 STS - Canada - For sale

Trade in wholesale value represents the bottom line ... the dealer won't take a risk on retailing an old STS, so they quote you auction prices, which are not much more than scrap weight value.
    I don't think you can retail your car ... it would need to be E-tested in Ontario, and the bad Cat and CEL light would make that problematic.
    I see the odd 2004 STS advertised up here for $10k from large dealers. They can afford to sit on the car for a year and lure in some unsuspecting customer who will overpay, but it's a longshot at best.

With no issues, I would guess the current value of your car up here, retail, would be around $3 to $4k.
    The dealer cash value of $1.5 k is very fair at this point in time.

PS: My inbox should be clear.
    bwv565 likes this.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Re: 2003 STS - Canada - For sale

Yeah at the Cadillac dealership here we get Deville trades in all the time in the $1.5-$3k range with less than 100k miles in excellent shape. Unfortunately these cars aren't worth crap which is why they end up at auctions or sitting on dealer lots for a long time. Most guys at auction pass on these cars almost immediately. Drove 2 Deville's nearly 100 miles to the Manheim auction... both had "Check Coolant Level" on the dashboard, had SES code for P0741 and P1860 and one of them had a few bad window regulators. Both of those cars were traded for less than $1k. Take the money on your car and RUN!
    ted tcb, ben.gators and bwv565 like this.

2manyhotrods is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
    As a new car dealer I speak from personal experience. That car will not crack $1,000 this month and probably less next month at my local dealer auctions that I attend weekly.
    Sorry, it's the hard fact of life.

Thanks to all who responded. Appreciate the feedback.

(And thanks to whichever Moderator moved this back to its original location. )

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.