Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Thread: Realistic price for my car

bwv565 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): HAD a miserable Catera and even worse 2003 STS

Question Realistic price for my car

My 2003 STS currently has 172,300 km. It needs:
    New cat converter (PCM 0420 code)
    Heater not working
    New struts and shocks
    Potential new emergency/parking brake (haven't diagnosed yet)
    Front power seat mechanism failing
    Stereo speakers crackling for radio (CDs ok) (not badly but still noticeable)
    Front windows only work full auto up/auto down, but do not respond to mid-way stop as they should.
    Check Fuel Gage message (cleared and reappears occasionally).

Dealer offered me $1500 either cash or trade.

Is that reasonable? It hurts but I need a reliable winter car and I think it's time.

I don't want to go the private sale route.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
    Take the $1,500 and RUN!!!

Re: Realistic price for my car

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Take the $1,500 and RUN!!!
    That's what I sort of figured.

On a totally unrelated note, I saw a '14 CTS on the dealer showroom floor. WOW. WOW. WOW.

Although, I think the plastic on the steering wheel and around the CUE display was a little much but all in all it is truly spectacular. Also looked at an XTS and what a beauty.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Check KBB & NADA. That ought to give you a good starting point.

I'm in Canada, so we use Canadian Black Book, not KBB and NADA. CBB says for a car with my mileage and in my area, trade-in value is about $1250 - $2950. But the private sale value it lists as $6500 which blows my mind. That's what I paid for the car in Feb. of this year and have put a lot into fixing it, which is never recoverable.
    Last edited by bwv565; 12-14-13 at 09:59 PM.

ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

Andy, it's too bad your STS has all those issues ... plus, I think it also needs new tires?
    There was a time I was tempted to purchase it ... a great looking STS.

Chatting with my dealer about STS' just on Friday ... at the Toronto auction, these cars are lucky to pull a grand, so your $1500 cash offer is fair .... ridiculous as I find it, it is fair.
    Your own car has been on Autotrader and Kijiji for about 6 months, and I suspect you are finding it very difficult to retail your way out of it.
    Could you not put 4 used snows on her and just fix the heater ... the STS makes a great winter beater, and you won't find anything for $2k to replace it with.
    I'd be tempted to invest a bit of $$$ and drive the STS until next spring ... then park it and drive the Mustang and Miata for the summer.

I just sold my 05 Outback Limited wagon with dedicated winter alloys and new IceGuard tires for just $5k. I didn't need two 4wd winter vehicles ... would've been great for you, plus the HG and T-Belt were done last year. I don't have a good pic of the car, but it was very clean. Sage green, beige leather, panoramic roof.

Great to hear from you, Ted. (I've been trying to send you a prvt msg but your inbox is full Let me know when you've cleared out some messages.)

Re: putting $$ into it and use it for the winter. No clue what it'll take to fix the heater. I don't want to drive a car with a CEL and bad/clogged cat converter, the gas mileage has seriously worsened (I've gone 33.3 KM on 1/4 tank, if I'm to believe the needle, which has also proven not to be reliable), tires are around $800 plus alignment (for the same original Michelins anyway), plus the suspension issues. I have to say though, yesterday on my way home from the LOF, in the middle of this huge snowstorm, the car felt as solid as a tank, and as comfortable and beautiful as always. It just makes me nervous. If I could find a similar STS with NO problems, or a DeVille/DTS I'd consider it.

Yeah it's been on CF, Kijiji, and Autotrader for a long time. What I don't understand is the HUGE difference between the 'trade-in' value vs. the 'private sale' value on CBB.
    Last edited by Submariner409; 12-15-13 at 05:15 PM.

ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

Re: 2003 STS - Canada - For sale

Trade in wholesale value represents the bottom line ... the dealer won't take a risk on retailing an old STS, so they quote you auction prices, which are not much more than scrap weight value.
    I don't think you can retail your car ... it would need to be E-tested in Ontario, and the bad Cat and CEL light would make that problematic.
    I see the odd 2004 STS advertised up here for $10k from large dealers. They can afford to sit on the car for a year and lure in some unsuspecting customer who will overpay, but it's a longshot at best.

With no issues, I would guess the current value of your car up here, retail, would be around $3 to $4k.
    The dealer cash value of $1.5 k is very fair at this point in time.

PS: My inbox should be clear.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Re: 2003 STS - Canada - For sale

Yeah at the Cadillac dealership here we get Deville trades in all the time in the $1.5-$3k range with less than 100k miles in excellent shape. Unfortunately these cars aren't worth crap which is why they end up at auctions or sitting on dealer lots for a long time. Most guys at auction pass on these cars almost immediately. Drove 2 Deville's nearly 100 miles to the Manheim auction... both had "Check Coolant Level" on the dashboard, had SES code for P0741 and P1860 and one of them had a few bad window regulators. Both of those cars were traded for less than $1k. Take the money on your car and RUN!

2manyhotrods is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
    As a new car dealer I speak from personal experience. That car will not crack $1,000 this month and probably less next month at my local dealer auctions that I attend weekly.
    Sorry, it's the hard fact of life.

Thanks to all who responded. Appreciate the feedback.

(And thanks to whichever Moderator moved this back to its original location. )