Ignition/Abs/Traction/Trans/Belt fun stuff issues for the newbie - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Ignition/Abs/Traction/Trans/Belt fun stuff issues for the newbie in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; That wire is there already.its one of thrbrequired bolts next to the connectors on the left side passenger aide. The ...
    frenzicadi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    That wire is there already.its one of thrbrequired bolts next to the connectors on the left side passenger aide. The 2 bolts in the back are missing, could that have anything to do with it?

Bump bump

Re: Ignition/Abs/Traction/Trans/Belt fun stuff issues for the newbie

Just wanted to updated peoples on the forum

- I found out the problem i had with the whining noise from the belt area, my alternator was going, died on me while driving, bought one for 150 from autozone and changed it myself, all
    good now, no shreiking when its cold

- still getting engine service - abs- and traction lights on dash - as well as the 1350 and 1375 codes coming up - not letting me get inspection as soon as you clear the codes they pop right back up. all connections are good and no wire is exposed to metal or what not, waiting on my mechanic to open up a slot for me and check it out see where the problem is coming from leading from the ignition module ----> PCM . im gonna say this is causing abs/traction light to come on, as well as taking a while a few cranks till she starts, and my techometer not working

- Still doesnt blow Hot air thorugh the driver vents compared to the passenger

- Cruise still isnt working. it worked once and stopped. not a big deal but it would be nice to have.

Any wise words from the cadillac kings??

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

If those are P codes they reference(at least one) the CKP and ICM, did you check the connections to these? and did you ever see if the ground was on the ICM module? That ground causes all kinds of weird issues if left off.

there are 4 connections on the Ignition module - all 4 are connected. the little round metal piece (ICM ground) is held down firmly and tight.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

You have in my opinion a crankshaft position sensor issue.

If the 96's are anything like the 97's, the grey connector is on top and the black connector is on the bottom.

You need to check/replace the sensors and check the wiring going to them. Since the harness that feeds the sensors, the oil pressure switch and a/c compressor basically run behind the exhaust manifold, check for grounding/contact possibly causing issues.

Your Abs/traction control issues, I would check the connector going to the EBCM. Also check fuses. Normally with a fault in the pcm for the ABS. You should try pulling the codes again to see if there is one stored.

If all fails in the ABS/traction control dept, due to the fact you car is an ETC you will have to try to find an EBCM, just the electrical portion will be needed.

You will need the broadcast code off your original one as reference to obtain another. Donor cars will be probably be another Eldorado ETC or a Seville STS of that era.

oldstuff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 66 convert-93-96-97-97-99 Eldorados

What do you mean by:
    " little round metal piece (ICM ground) is held down firmly and tight"
    The bolts that hold down the ICM may not be a sufficient ground as the cover that it bolts to sits on a rubber gasket and the hold down bolts are through a rubber gromit. The wire goes from the attaching bolt to the head or block for a possitive ground. Must be there for a sure ground. As for the starting with to many turns I had the same problem on my 96 and it was the upper crank sensor plug was loose.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by frenzicadi View Post
    there are 4 connections on the Ignition module - all 4 are connected. the little round metal piece (ICM ground) is held down firmly and tight.

Where is the upper crank sensor located? And what I mean by the little metal thing, is the ground for the ICM that leads to the block. Noob for the winn. The ground. All connectors and bolts seem good and tight.

----------

Codes as of now;
    Pc0154
    Pc1350 and 1375
    Ip1910
    Tc0027
    Tc0073

I really wanna get the ignition issue out of the way before dealing with anything else. Once I find out where that sensor is located I'm gonna take a look at that

In post #30, item #12 appears to be the crankshaft position sensor.

There two sensors utilized in the ignition system. One upper, one lower. The connectors have to be in the correct sensor in order for the car to run.

Since your car is running but taking longer to start, there is a possibility that one of the two or both sensors are contributing to your issues.

Make sure the bolts that hold the sensor/s in are snug. They can be easily stripped but shouldn't be loose.

ok so i ordered 2 acdelco crankshaft sensors, should be in today, have my mechanic put em in tomorrow morning. i am also now getting a wobble on the upper pulley, the one towards the ICM, which pulley is that? and whats diagnosis on it wobbling a bit?

Pulley near ICM?

Picture please....

arctic_man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Concours, 1995 SLS

Don't scare my friend... That's the last thing I want to worry about...

I changed the ignition module, left all the original coils. When i first started the car after changing it i had 2 cranks and a loud bang!!! Let it sit for a few minutes and then she turned over and drove around the block with no issues. However it still doesn't turn over on the First crank! What else could it be?!?! Coils? Wires?? Spark plugs??? I don't think that could affect crank time. And my ignition warning is still up on the display... Please helpp
    Did you ever do a block test or figure out where your coolant is going? You will not want to go through all this work only to have a bad head gasket. Especially if you are going through coolant as fast as you reported, it may not be long until the car is un-driveable...

That being said, your cruise is disabled I think when the ABS/Traction light is on. So if you fix those, it should resolve your cruise issues.

Best of luck.

Not so sure of that, my abs/traction light is on all the time and my cruise works perfectly.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_man View Post
    Did you ever do a block test or figure out where your coolant is going? You will not want to go through all this work only to have a bad head gasket. Especially if you are going through coolant as fast as you reported, it may not be long until the car is un-driveable...

That being said, your cruise is disabled I think when the ABS/Traction light is on. So if you fix those, it should resolve your cruise issues.

Best of luck.

update:: only code im pulling up is the 1350. ignition control. i decided to take a look at the Crankshaft Sensors, one of the wires was unplugged?! cleaned em a bit, connected both. theres a piece of plastic connected to one of the connectors so you know which one connected to which sensor, so you cant mistake that. i connected both of them, went to start the car and low and behollldd..... not what you were hoping... she doesnt start, at all. checked the coils where the plugs are connected, put a screwdriver into the hole and up against some metal, no spark... all 4 front plugs are not getting spark.... disconnected and connected sensors again, nada... nothing! no spark and can does not start... i would change the sensors but i dont think its the problem considering shes been turning on every day even after some hard cranking. and changing them seems like its gonna be a pain in the ass...
    so... any suggestions? ideas? why am i not getting spark?

Don't get you putting the screw driver into a hole. The towers on the coils are where you need to test spark, the holes would be in the end of the plug wires.
    As far as the sensors are concerned on a 96 the wires should be able to go to either sensor but have to be pluged into the right one to run.
    Dave

update:: only code im pulling up is the 1350. ignition control. i decided to take a look at the Crankshaft Sensors, one of the wires was unplugged?! cleaned em a bit, connected both. theres a piece of plastic connected to one of the connectors so you know which one connected to which sensor, so you cant mistake that. i connected both of them, went to start the car and low and behollldd..... not what you were hoping... she doesnt start, at all. checked the coils where the plugs are connected, put a screwdriver into the hole and up against some metal, no spark... all 4 front plugs are not getting spark.... disconnected and connected sensors again, nada... nothing! no spark and can does not start... i would change the sensors but i dont think its the problem considering shes been turning on every day even after some hard cranking. and changing them seems like its gonna be a pain in the ass...
    so... any suggestions? ideas? why am i not getting spark?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.