2003 SLS P1860 and P0741 transmission parts question....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2003 SLS P1860 and P0741 transmission parts question.... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have done all of the research and I am preparing to do the turbine shaft seals and TCC solenoid ...
    kobrien8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS 2009 CTS Premuim 2009 SRX Sport

2003 SLS P1860 and P0741 transmission parts question....

I have done all of the research and I am preparing to do the turbine shaft seals and TCC solenoid replacement and I was wondering what might the likelihood be that I will not need to purchase a drive socket support and transmission case cover? I have the gaskets, solenoid and am about to order the torque converter....should I wait and inspect the drive socket support and transmission cover to see if I need them, or should I just spend the extra $400 and replace them regardless? I plan on keeping the car indefinitely, but delegating it to the spare/winter car in the next year or two. The car is in perfect condition mechanically as well as aesthetically but does have 170k on it so there is no reason to spend money if I don't need to at this point when an ATS is in my near (next 18 months) future. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: 2003 SLS P1860 and P0741 transmission parts question....

Quote Originally Posted by kobrien8 View Post
    I have done all of the research and I am preparing to do the turbine shaft seals and TCC solenoid replacement and I was wondering what might the likelihood be that I will not need to purchase a drive socket support and transmission case cover? I have the gaskets, solenoid and am about to order the torque converter....should I wait and inspect the drive socket support and transmission cover to see if I need them, or should I just spend the extra $400 and replace them regardless? I plan on keeping the car indefinitely, but delegating it to the spare/winter car in the next year or two. The car is in perfect condition mechanically as well as aesthetically but does have 170k on it so there is no reason to spend money if I don't need to at this point when an ATS is in my near (next 18 months) future. Thanks!
    -----------------------
    there is no reason to spend money if I don't need to at this point
    then why bother messing with the solenoid at all? -

Well I am piling the miles on the car right now and I would like to keep it in good working order, eventually the turbine shaft seal problem will cause the torque converter to fail correct? Without the TCC solenoid working I have definitely noticed a change in gas mileage. 18-24 months and my ATS are still a while away so I would like to keep this car completely reliable as long as possible.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by kobrien8
    eventually the turbine shaft seal problem will cause the torque converter to fail correct?
    No, absolutely not. If it's only going to be a secondary car, I'd leave it as is.

Well I am piling the miles on the car right now and I would like to keep it in good working order, eventually the turbine shaft seal problem will cause the torque converter to fail correct? Without the TCC solenoid working I have definitely noticed a change in gas mileage. 18-24 months and my ATS are still a while away so I would like to keep this car completely reliable as long as possible.
    -------------------------
    eventually the turbine shaft seal problem
    will cause the torque converter to fail correct?

NOT CORRECT -
    and who said the turbine shaft seal was bad?

Without the TCC solenoid working
    I have definitely noticed a change in gas mileage.

that IS true -
    without the solenoid working properly -
    the torque converter is not going into lock-up -
    so - AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS - the engine is turning about 200 rpm faster -
    which relates to a 1 - maybe 2 mpg loss - in fuel economy -

and before you ask -
    NO - this condition will NOT overheat the trans -
    or cause ANY other trans problems - or shorten the life of the trans -

MANY members have decided to "live with" this condition - forever -

If it was only the TCC solenoid I might be able to live with it, or at least try the in car replacement procedure, however I have both codes and was under the impression that the P0741 (leaking seals leading to insufficient pressure) eventually caused the solenoid to go bad giving the P1860. This is the turbine seal and solenoid replacement, along with a new torque converter,and possibly the drive socket support, and transmission case cover. The following thread seems to speak exactly to my problem.....

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...60-1998-a.html

Am I missing something?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    P0741 alone = a faulty seal.

P1860 + P0741 = a faulty solenoid.

The seal and solenoid have no effect on each other, whatsoever. Neither will lead to the other failing.

No other part of the transmission will be affected in any way by driving the car as is.

The ONLY symptoms are a slight RPM increase/very slight MPG decrease at steady cruising speeds above 41 MPH, and a code/illuminated CEL.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

You have both codes because P1860 automatically trips P0741. Now that is not to say that your seal is not leaking as well. That seems to be more common than the solenoid failure on the 2000+ transmissions. I'm living with it now and have no intention of fixing it.

I started with the P0741 for a couple of weeks and one day with the cruise locked on the highway while going up a hill I noticed a slight surge, small jumps in rpms. A couple of days later I got the P1860 to compliment the P0741. I was under the impression that the P0741 was the leaking seals and with the inability to build enough pressure to lock the TCC eventually that would burn up the TCC solenoid causing the P1860. The service bulletin states that the viscous coupler in the torque converter has an extremely high failure rate when allowed to slip out of spec, i.e. the slight surge/chuggle I felt that day going up the hill at 75mph. Am I misinformed??

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

My MIL always illuminates on a slight incline. It's always P0741. That simply indicates TC slippage beyond the programmed allowable PCM rates. Pretty much like an old automatic transmission before the TC lockup was invented. If it were not for the MIL, I'd never know there was a problem and my MPG decrease is not even noticeable.

It will eventually get to the point that you will have to clear the code to turn off the MIL every trip, but that's a LOT easier and cheaper than the alternative.

I get the code every trip and have given up on resetting it until after I do the repair. I have all of the parts and tools and a whole week off next week to drop the whole works and check things out. I might even get lucky and find the cause of my typical Seville vibration that I believe has to be coming from the engine after all other avenues have been exhausted. If nothing else I will be able to give everything a thorough inspection. Should be a fun few days. I keep reading the following post and it seems to describe my exact condition

I get the code every trip and have given up on resetting it until after I do the repair. I have all of the parts and tools and a whole week off next week to drop the whole works and check things out. I might even get lucky and find the cause of my typical Seville vibration that I believe has to be coming from the engine after all other avenues have been exhausted. If nothing else I will be able to give everything a thorough inspection. Should be a fun few days. I keep reading the following post and it seems to describe my exact condition

------------------------
    be sure to keep us posted -

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.