85 eldorado dilema... to buy or not ot buy
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By carnut
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 85 eldorado dilema... to buy or not ot buy in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ok guys, ive been back and forth so many times my head is spinning. i absolutly love the style of ...
    domer94 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 cts 3.6l

85 eldorado dilema... to buy or not ot buy

ok guys, ive been back and forth so many times my head is spinning. i absolutly love the style of these eldos , but i am terrified reading about the HT100. i am looking for a clean eldo with low miles , and will be using it moderatly. i dont commute or anything , but will be using it as not only a sunday car. question is , if i take the proper measures... tune up / cat change / fluids / timing advance etc etc , can this motor survive without constantly worrying abotu it blowing up ? also , can any of you comment about how much you drive yours and how reliable its been? does it have enough power to handle itself on the highway / merging etc etc?

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 85 eldorado dilema... to buy or not ot buy

The weak point is the engine. It couldn't pull a sick whore out of school and has trouble getting out of it's own way. I've had two and I can tell you if you go to pass, you'd better have LOTS of room. I have been half way through a pass and had to back down (very embarrassing for a Cadillac). Of the two I had, I had to replace the HG's on one. Other than that I loved the car.

To give you another idea of just how underpowered it is, I have had it downshift at 60 MPH into a stiff headwind with the cruise on. Once back up to speed it would go back into OD, but being unable to maintain speed into the wind it would downshift again and this would continue. It was embarrassing.

thats what i thought you would say. ive read that guys have installed high flow cats and advanced timing which woke up the engine considerably. i was hoping....

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by domer94 View Post
    thats what i thought you would say. ive read that guys have installed high flow cats and advanced timing which woke up the engine considerably. i was hoping....
    -----------------------
    you would be MUCH better off going a little newer -
    and looking at something with the 4.5 - or better yet - the 4.9 -

OR - just leave it in the garage -
    and repete VROOM - VROOM - VROOM - while sitting behind the steering wheel -

delerium75 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 STS, 1992 Fleetwood, 1987 Maxima wagon

What about a '79-'81? Seems those would be a bit faster with the 350 or 368 (V8-6-4 disabled) not to mention the likelihood of being more reliable.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

If you are concerned about power find a nice 81. The 368 engine was cast iron. I've owned 2 84 Eldo's. They were my only car. The 1st one I installed the throttle body from an 81 and bumped the timing to 12 degrees. Great everyday car. The 2nd was high mileage (75,000) and was fine. Just change the coolant every 2 years, bump the timing and drive it! The 85 engine benefited by a better camshaft and improved intake gasket sealing. Just sold an 84 Sedan DeVille with 90,000 miles and it again was my only car. Timing bumped to 12 degrees and changed coolant every year. 2 months after selling the timing gear failed. He changed the gear and chain and is driving it every day as his only car. Arizona to California once a month. I'm not a fan of low mileage older cars. Low mileage usually means the PO only changed the oil and ignored the other fluids. Much rather buy a car with provable service history and higher mileage personally! Oil needs changed every 6 months regardless of mileage, coolant every year and brake fluid every two years whether its driven or not.

----------

The 81 was really the best of the lot in my opinion. The only weak link was the climate controls. They tended to melt connectors and have faulty control heads. The 82 thru 85's had more reliable climate control. I would seek out an 81, modify the wiring on the variable displacement to be able to engage 4 cyl. mode once on the freeway. The 8-6-4 operation worked thru a simple one wire connection at the transmission. It would change from 8 to 6 to 4 once eng. temp was up and it saw 3rd gear. This wire can be cut and a toggle switch installed to manually engage 4 cyl mode at your whim.
    delerium75 likes this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Correct me if I'm wrong carnut, but wasn't there two other choices in '81 (neither of which you want). Those being the V6 and the infamous diesel (I had one of those as well ).

You are correct! The V/6 was a federal option I believe in 81 and Calif available in 82 only. Not a bad engine and it was the same size as the 4100. 4.1 liter Buick V/6.

man , this is a bummer... there are so many nice 84 and 85's... but i guess thats why!

I would not hesitate to buy an 85 assuming it has provable service history. Because of the bad rap you should get it at a reasonable price. Great cruiser and timeless styling IMO!

thats the first encouraging thing ive heard.... of course ive been fishing for something positive! you always want to hear what your looking to hear lol! agreed with the styling. im in love with these eldos , but want it to be a usable machine as well. i need it to function in the every day environment, meaning having charachteristics that can keep with todays traffin in the tristate nyc area. again , its not a commuter , but will be going into the city several times and being used... though not nearly as heavily as the typical "everyday driver" so is a 1908 considered as being in the "no buy zone" ?

1976eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado Convertible

I had an 83 with the 4100.Ironically I never had a problem with the engine.It was everything else,AC,rear axle,power windows,antenae,hinges,rear end (axle).It all went,I was so annoyed I bought an 83 Lincoln town Car & never had a problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.