97 STS passenger side blend door actuator seems to work ok but zone still blows hot
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 97 STS passenger side blend door actuator seems to work ok but zone still blows hot in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 97 STS's passenger side blend door actuator seems to be working ok, moving the arm in and out according ...
    Jwither is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 STS

97 STS passenger side blend door actuator seems to work ok but zone still blows hot

My 97 STS's passenger side blend door actuator seems to be working ok, moving the arm in and out according to heat/cool (I've watched it), but still always blows hot on the passenger side with dual zone off, and cool air blowing on the driver's side appropriately.

I've read some say that this indicates the AC coolant needs to be topped off, but the pressures look ok, and it happens whether AC is on or off (with AC Off per the display) so that it only blows cool air from outside temp, 50 degrees).

When I remove the arm from the actuator, and move it all the way to the right (beyond where the actuator stops it) it then blows warm air on the driver side, even with the temp set to 60). The interior temp is +/- 80 degrees, so it shouldn't be sensing that it needs to warm the interior in order to get to 60, and it does blow cool on the driver's side when the actuator arm is reattached.

I'm not inclinded to think the door is broken, I can hear it open and close when I move the arm manually, however:

Error - ACM B1341 - Air mix door 2 movement fault

I have also disconnected the battery for 30 minutes, then turned the ignition to on for 2.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 97 STS passenger side blend door actuator seems to work ok but zone still blows h

A left to right temperature differential WHEN IN THE A/C MODE does reflect low refrigerant, but that is not your case. Sounds more like the bottom of the heater core is clogged with the sealant tab residue GM used to use. The air passing through it gets stratified and the lower (cooler) portion goes to the drivers side. The first thing I would do is flush the heater core in both directions.

Re: 97 STS passenger side blend door actuator seems to work ok but zone still blows h

Thank you very much for your help Ranger, I'll try that. Would that explain the B1341 though?

No..

I know I can get to the hoses for the heater core from the firewall, with some hand squeezing, but I wanted to take out the glove box and have a look behind it. I see what looks like another door actuator that I didn't see from under the dash. It does not move when I change temps, change from floor to dash vent, or to defrost. Could this be the issue? Do you know what this is? I thought there would only be a second blend door actuator under the dash on the driver's side.
    Attached Images

That could well be the issue and the result of the DTC. I forget if that is the main or the passengers temp actuator. I take it NEITHER temp control gets any movement out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I take it NEITHER temp control gets any movement out of it?
    That's right, nothing moves it, not even the recirculation function.

Is it plugged in? Do you hear any clicking from it? Chances are the actuator has failed and needs to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Is it plugged in? Do you hear any clicking from it? Chances are the actuator has failed and needs to be replaced.
    Will check it out further later today. It's not clicking or making any noise. Confusing, because I can't find any mention of two on the same side for this make/model. Will probably just pop the arm off and see what moving the arm by hand does.

It IS another blend door actuator, identical to the lower one, and controls the passenger side temps. Sucker was hard to get out of there too.

I opened it, pried the motor up and turned it, turned the gears, put it back together, plug it back in, and it works now. Loose plug maybe. Thanks Ranger!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.