Brakes sticking.....90 eldorado
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Brakes sticking.....90 eldorado in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; this car sat around for about 5 years....I have flushed pond water out of tank... replaced fuel pump... filter.... water ...
    mikethemailman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Eldorado

Brakes sticking.....90 eldorado

this car sat around for about 5 years....I have flushed pond water out of tank... replaced fuel pump... filter.... water pump.... batt .. serpentine belt....hoped I would be getting to the end but, the brakes wont release after you depress......someone helping thought the rear pistons were froze are they screw in ?? I cleaned the pins on front lubed w white grease....they definatly work just sticky....what is going on here ??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: Brakes sticking.....90 eldorado

Can you narrow down frt or rear sticking? Could be anything from frozen pistons to bad hoses to MC.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by mikethemailman View Post
    I have flushed pond water out of tank.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Calipers not releasing is usually restricted flex hoses to the calipers. Replace the hoses. They fill up with flaked off rubber and will stop brake fluid flow back to the master cyl.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

In my experience, this is most often a seized caliper more so than a hose.

Either way, don't replace either blindly. Try turning the caliper piston in. If it's difficult, try it with the bleed screw open. If it moves with ease when the bleed screw is open, replace the hoses. If it is still difficult, replace the calipers.

And he's talking bout the REAR calipers. I was referring to the fronts sticking. Front calipers sticking..... usually hoses. Rear calipers loose, rattling..... seized pistons in the caliper from non use of the parking brake over a prolonged period.

mikethemailman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Eldorado

THANKS GUYS ! I have bought new lines for the front...alrdy lubed front pins....I was schocked to see the rears very loose and sloppy.....they work (you can tell by rotors....3 parts stores in Omaha do not carry the hardware kits.....I imagine that's whats wasted...and then tightening E-brake am I on the right track ?

You MUST follow the adjustment of rear calipers by the book. The pistons in the caliper must be ratcheted out to take up normal wear clearance. Then lastly you tighten the parking brake cables. The levers the cables attach too on the rear caliper must be at rest against the cast in stop on the caliper with the parking brake fully released. If not, the caliper pistons will not ratchet out as designed as you use the parking brake each and every time you park the car! Most rear caliper issues come from non use of the parking brake. Pads wear, then pad clearance increases then the caliper rattles. There is a special tool that allows the piston to be ratcheted out assuming the piston is not already seized.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.