Transmission Acting Up Need Help Asap
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Transmission Acting Up Need Help Asap in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hi i have a 1994 seville sls and for some reason the transmission is not shifting right it will work ...
    famofcadillacs is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy Transmission Acting Up Need Help Asap

hi i have a 1994 seville sls and for some reason the transmission is not shifting right it will work fine sometimes and then sometimes out of no where it will just like stop shifting and rev up to 2500 or 3000 rpms before grabing and then it will no longer kick down another gear unless stopped or it will not go up past 2nd or 3rd i beleive i was told that a transmission flush would help and i also tryed to get the check engine light diagnosed but when i diagnosed it it said trans fluid reset and i dont know what else to do from there i tryed hitting high and low fan to get a code or somthing but it will just go back to the normal screen after that i was told that the flush will renew the filter and then other said that the flush is worse and now i should just go get my filter changed and other people said it could be a sensor or a kickdown cable, if anyone could help me i would greatly appreciate it!!!!!!! im really bummed out about this cause i love my car more than anything but i am afraid to drive it in this condition so no im stuck driving my dads buick skylark for now PLEASE HELP!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Transmission Acting Up Need Help Asap

just had the transmission flushed and it is still acting up, fluid needed to be changed but it didnt help the problem

rclark07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Check and see if there are any stored trouble codes....history or current. It sounds like the A and B shift Solenoids which is a common problem with your car.

how do i check to see if there is any stored codes? also with the a and b Solenoids do i have to go to a tranny shop to get fixed or just a regular mechanic and also what is the ballpark range on price to fix that kind of thing i appreciate this very much

deabionni is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '94 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by famofcadillacs
    how do i check to see if there is any stored codes?
    You can find all the information you need in this thread.

youbetcha77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Fleetwood RWD, 99 Deville

how do i check to see if there is any stored codes? also with the a and b Solenoids do i have to go to a tranny shop to get fixed or just a regular mechanic and also what is the ballpark range on price to fix that kind of thing i appreciate this very much
    It has been my experience to never do a transmission flush. A fluid change yes, but not a flush. 9 out of ten times I have seen complete failures after a flush. Gm designed it so you cannot change all the fluid at once so that the new fluid wouldnt break loose deposits. I would try a small amount of Trans-x that is usually in any part store. It has cured some problems with my transmissions. It dissolves deposits. It totalled cured a Chrysler of mine that had shift solenoid issues.

Blaze

Question Re: Transmission Acting Up Need Help Asap

the codes brought up p029 and it said history
    code p09 is Transaxle Shift 'B' solenoid problem (1st, 3rd, 4th gear)

and it also said s044 which is lift or dive signal default

both of them said history after them so im wondering if that is whats wrong or what happened to the previous owner, thanks so much for your help and if someone could help me out in letting me know if one of those could be the problem thats happening or maybe someone could tell me where do i go from here and how hard of a job it may be and what else i should do, i will pick up some of that trans-x in the morning to make sure that the flush doesnt hurt anything more than it has!! please let me know if anyone can help thanks!

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

That P029 sounds like its your problem. A code like that will only show up as current when you check the codes before you turn off the car after a drive. That is because you are not useing the shift soenoids when you are sitting still and the computer can't test them also, because they are not being used. When you turn off the car and turn it back on again about a half an hour later (or later than that) it will show up as history until you drive it again and the problem persists. I have never attempted to change the shift solenoids on a caddy before so I can't help you with the procedure, but I have seen a few people here who have done this. Well at least you have found source of your problem, you know the first step to fixing a problem is identifying the source.

thanks very much for the input if anyone else can give me a ballpark range on what it costs to get fixed i would greatly appreciate it i seen the forums on how to fix it yourself but i dont think im mechanically inclined enough to do it myself. if anyone has had this done before by a mechanic let me know so that i can be sure to not get ripped off when i go to get it done, thanks

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

From the threads I've read on this problem, if it is your problem, then it's not too bad. About $50 for the parts, and maybe a two hour job at any competent repair shop. Good luck.

ive been trying to get the parts today and no one seems to carry the parts if i say transaxle solenoid but if i say transmission solenoid they do but then i have to know what tranny i have whether it is 20 bolts or what not im not really sure if someone could help point me in the right direction of what tranny i have and the gear ratios i should have in a 1994 seville sls thanks

also maybe if someone who has previously purchased this or is just knowlageable about this part what i should call it and what i should ask the people at the parts store what im looking for ive called and it seems like people are talking about all different types of parts so i am not sure, thanks

dwight.j.carter is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Seville STS

When I owned my 94 STS my dad had to have the solenoids replaced and it was 600 dollars at a transmission shop. I would recomend you take it to a good transmission shop where you live and let them do the job.

jjbuckley is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

You can order the shift solenoids from www.gmpartsdirect or www.rockauto.com. It is a kit the contains both shift solenoids, a new valve body filter and a capture bracket to contain the filter, it runs about 50.00 including shipping.
    Shift Solenoid Update Kit....GM Part # 24211355

Here are the steps to do it yourself, if you are so inclined:

Here you go, Remember you have to add the filter retaining bracket to the valve body, it comes in your solenoid upgrade kit along with the longer bolt to hold it in. I will try to attach pictures of this for you.

a) the job is a mess, be prepared.
    b) drop the pan, and careful removing the tranny gasket, it is re-usable. Once you clean the pan, you can reset it with gasket sealer.
    c) disconnect the solenoid electrical connectors and the mechanical linkage. The linkage has a metal clip you lift and slide.
    d) you will need to remove the dogleg plate off the oil transfer plate, it is held on by 10 bolts if I remember right.
    e) remove the valve body screws, and drop the valve body.
    f) place the valve body where you can afford a mess, it will continually leak. Best thing is to set it on cardboard on a bench. There is a valve spool that can be removed as well, careful it can slip out, you don't want to damage it.
    f) remove the screws holding the "large" portion of the valve body split, this is where the solenoids are incased. Remember the screw locations, there are about four different screw lengths
    g) CAREFULLY remove split, there are 4 steel check balls loose inside the split (about 1/4" diameter, they will fly, as well)
    h) inspect spacer plate, if the black coating is not chipping off you can re-use it, otherwise plan on spending more $ at the dealership parts house. If you replace it you will have to remove the "smaller" split, as well. It also has three check balls.
    i) remove the two clips holding the solenoids, careful they are spring-loaded and will fly
    j) replace the solenoids
    k) now comes the fun,....you will note three holes in the spacer plate where three of the check balls reside, seat them there (appr. 3/16" diameter with a smaller relief hole next to it, as I remember). The fourth check ball will need to be inserted in a spherically-cast cavity which is near one the solenoids. You can set it with grease, I re-assembled successfully without using grease.
    l) re-assemble valve body, carefully and equally torque.
    m) you will note a square black plastic item near one of the solenoids, on the end. Replace this plastic filter with the new filter in the solenoid kit. The kit will also come with an L-shaped bracket that is to be used to "capture" this filter and keep it from backing out. The kit also comes with a slightly longer screw used to mount the bracket to the valve body (discard the old screw).
    m) re-assemble valve body to transmission, hook up linkage and electrical connectors
    n) replace both tranny filters
    o) replenish fluid
    p) reset codes

Here is the location of a couple of PDF files I put up that show the solenoid location and placement, you will need Adobe Acrobat to open them

http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18561

http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18561

I am told there is a screw on the side of the tranny for also draining the torque converter, I did not know this at the time and did not perform this. There should be something in the Caddyinfo.com archives about this, recently.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

ive been trying to get the parts today and no one seems to carry the parts if i say transaxle solenoid but if i say transmission solenoid they do but then i have to know what tranny i have whether it is 20 bolts or what not im not really sure if someone could help point me in the right direction of what tranny i have and the gear ratios i should have in a 1994 seville sls thanks
    The auto parts place should be able to find out what transmission you have if you tell them the VIN number.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.