Transmission Acting Up Need Help Asap - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Transmission Acting Up Need Help Asap in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I think the transmissions are as follows STS = 4T80E SLS = 4T60E...
    dwight.j.carter is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Seville STS

Re: Transmission Acting Up Need Help Asap

I think the transmissions are as follows

STS = 4T80E
    SLS = 4T60E

91TexasSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by dwight.j.carter
    I think the transmissions are as follows

STS = 4T80E
    SLS = 4T60E
    Yup!

Real helpful post jjbuckley....Good job!

swimmster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I would be willig to do this service for nayone in the central NY area for a decent fee. I've done it and it's a snap.

and if you set the check balls with grease, use VASOLINE.. guarenteed to not muck up any trans parts or make your clutches start slipping. (watched a trans guy pack a pump with gearbox style grease... ruined the clutches on a fresh rebuild...)

Besides, I would like the opprotunity to take pictures of this procedure to post on this site. You guys won't believe how easy this is to do.. not to mention how much fun it is to go to the cadillac service dept and pick on them for saying it takes EIGHT hours and $500 to do this. (Crest Cadillac, Syracuse, NY)

famofcadillacs is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i had a local mechanic change out the solenoids and the one solenoid was clearly broke, he replaced both and the filter and i reset the codes and the transmission is still doing the same exact thing and giving the same code once again, the service guy said all the filters where clean and all the balls where set with grease so he doesnt know what else could be happening, is it possible that there is somthing breaking the solenoids as soon as the car is being driven or do you think maybe the mechanic went about it wrong and i should just take it to the dealer, thanks

clusco is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

How exactly did you reset the codes?

acklac7 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '95 White Diamond Eldorado Biarritz

famofcadillacs...ask your mechanic if he is POSITIVE that he installed the "L Bracket" that came with the updated solenoid kit. I forgot to install the L bracket when I did my solenoid job. I replaced both of the solenoids and installed the new filter, but forgot to install the L bracket....This resulted in the filter popping out (every time the solenoids went to fire). Once the filter popped out of position the fluid just drained back into the pan, instead of pressurizing the solenoids...this (once again) triggered the solenoid trouble codes...I went and re-checked the (new) solenoids, along with the check balls...Everything was i perfect condition. I finally realized that I forgot to install the L bracket that captures the filter...I installed it and she shifted just fine!

i just went through and one by one when it asked if i wanted to clear codes i did, maybe you can help me with a better way to reset the codes, i asked him if he installed it and he said he did, then he said he would recheck if i offered to give him more money, what do you guys think? thanks

acklac7 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '95 White Diamond Eldorado Biarritz

How much does he want to re-check it?....Did the problem occur on your way home from the shop? Did the trans ever shift right? or did do the exact same thing as before?

Checking if the L-bracket is installed shouldn't be that hard, just drop the pan and look up at the valve body where the filter is installed (im assuming the 93' trans is the same as the 95' trans.)....Should take no more an hour max.

If the Trans. never shifted right and threw the trouble codes right off the bat I would demand he take a look at it again (free of charge)....However it might be a different situation if you had drove it for a few days, without any problems.

As I recall, if the check balls are out of alignment the car will not shift period....Or maybe it will only have reverse or something....It really sounds like the filter isn't installed or there is something wrong with the wiring...Maybe it's the wrong solenoid kit?

He didn't fix it right. That's why I am the ONLY one who works on my cars. hardly any mechanics today will own up to a mistake. These cars will tell you EXACTLY what's wrong with them.. if it's still telling you the same thing, then he screwed it up.. if it was working properly, codes or no codes, they would show up as "history" instead of current.. The guy screwed it up. Guarenteed.. Did he reconnect the connectors inside the trans? There's more than just the 2 solenoid connectors to reconnect.

it's possible to drive for a while without the new L bracket.. the filter fits (at least in mine) pretty snug.

youbetcha77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Fleetwood RWD, 99 Deville

Some times just because it is throwing that code doesnt mean that particular part is bad. Some things cannot register a code. For instance if your engine has a fuel injector that isnt shutting all the way off, the computer doesnt have a fuel injector code. All it sees is the extra fuel as indicated by the oxygen sensor. So it is going to throw a oxygen sensor code. I know were dealing with the transmission and not the engine, but I wanted to use that as a example. You have to really understand the relationship between the sensors and the electronics in the transmission before it can be properly diagnosed.

Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by famofcadillacs
    i just went through and one by one when it asked if i wanted to clear codes i did, maybe you can help me with a better way to reset the codes, i asked him if he installed it and he said he did, then he said he would recheck if i offered to give him more money, what do you guys think? thanks
    I would ask the mechanic why he would offer that if he said he is for sure he installed it. I would tell him he is going to check for free or else its to the Better Business Bureau website you go. You took it there for a problem and he said he would fix it. I would ask him, how do you kow he did anything at all.

Blaze

If he's getting the exact same coded as before, there's NO doubt that the solenoids are not functioning. there is obviously an issue with the wiring or they just got pushed back out again or broken off again cause of yet ANOTHER idiot mechanic. I DON'T meanfor this to sound like bragging, but I hav NEVER had my hands on a FWD tranny, let alone one that's completely electronic and I changed my own solenoids in less than 2 hours. That's from the time I pulled it in the garage to the time I was on the road testing it. My cadillac dealer her ein Syracuse wanted over $500 to do this job and 8 hours of labor. I did it myself and went back the next day and asked them what retard mechanics they have that would take them 8 hours to do this job with air tools and power tools when I did it in 2 hours with a ratchet???????? I could go on for days.. no one seems to have any kind of pride in their work anymore. Let alone integrity. If "I" had been your mechanic, I'd be completely embarrased that your car didn't work right the first time and I would ABSOLUTELY have it back in the shop asap and find the problem free of charge. You PAID to get it fixed right the first time and it wasn't. We have a Volvo mechanic who has been sucking my boss dry on his volvos. Constantly saying he's fixed problems and they show up the next day, etc.. the guy has charged my boss almsot double what the car is worth in repairs and the car is still a POS... Your mechanic either needs to refix your car right or you need to go talk to a lawyer. The ONLY thing you should be charged for is if there is ANOTHER part that is bad that he would need ot buy.. If the solenoids broke again because of him not doing something right, then that's out of HIS pocket. I hate mechanics that just don't give a crap and try to just rip you off.. NO ETHICS WHATSOEVER!!!!!! It should be 100% legal for someone to post ALL the info on the mechanic that does this crap to people.

I would stick with the Better Business Bureau tactic. And if he doesnt check it out for free I would call them and start a claim. Its free and keeps people like that from doing stuff like he done. It also makes a bad name for his business.

Blaze

the mechanic took the pan off and found that one of the balls were out of place he only wanted to charge me an extra $20 on top of the $50 he charged plus parts to do it last time i was so happy it is working good that i just gave him a whole 100 and could of gave him a hug!!! WOOO HOOO im so happy to have my caddy back!!!!!!!! thanks for all your help

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

He should't have charged you a dime. It was his fault it was put together wrong and he should have fixed it for free.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.