Battery drain / 03 Seville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Battery drain / 03 Seville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi Again, seems when I have a problem I can't solve I ask you guys, you are the ones who ...
    stranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 seville sls

Battery drain / 03 Seville

Hi Again, seems when I have a problem I can't solve I ask you guys, you are the ones who have the answers. I know it gets repetitious about some issues, especially sometimes simple things. This time when the economy hasn't looked good and people are out of work, we tend to save as much as possible on repairs and we rely on your judgments on issues to help us out. So Thanks you.

Car was doing ok, starting great. To my surprise , went out to car and nothing , completely dead, remote trunk , radio just barely lit up and then faded. Was junp started today, all ok now. Lights on dash, signal lights, head lamps strong. Dash board 14.3 volts and holding.
    Went out 2 hrs later started right up everything works good. Went out later and still ok. big test will be overnight, see if its ok in am.
    obviously something drained the battery, The dash lights did not come on anytime indicating a problem with the battery. Would you have
    any suggestions for trouble shooting the issue. Could take it in to shop, but they charge you just for looking at it.

Thanks for a response,
    Al

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: Battery drain / 03 Seville

any suggestions for trouble shooting the issue
    load-test the battery -

if you need a new battery - I recommend the Walmart MAXX #79 -

oldstuff is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 66 convert-93-96-97-97-99 Eldorados

Al
    A bad diode in the alternator will cause that problem. It will charge the battery just fine and then drain it overnight.
    If it is dead in the morning you can charge and use the car but have your jumper cables with you.
    To test -undo your ground cable when you park it overnight. Or better yet if you can get to it remove the alternator wire overnight and see if you have juice in the morning.
    Dave

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

If it's not the alternator, connect a 12v test lamp in line between the negative cable and the battery terminal. If you have a draw, the lamp will illuminate. If it does, start pulling fuses until it goes out. That will be the problem component or circuit.

ok, thanks for response, car started all day long volts 14.3 consistently . Disconnected ground for the night, this morning started right up, been driving around this morning all ok. last night volts showed 11 and 12 volts after sitting for awhile, can,t get into shop till tomorrow. i think its better to let a pro check it out.
    will get back later. Whats the volt usage when sitting all night and then start up in morning? Thanks Later Al

Hi, Had battery and alternator tested and came out good . So where and how do I start looking for THE CULPRIT , or should I take it into shop. Whats a normal charge for finding the problem . Depends on time spent looking .Thanks Al

Whats a normal charge for finding the problem .
    That's probably gonna be the shops hourly rate X the amount of time spent.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    Hi, Had battery and alternator tested and came out good .
    What specific tests were performed? The results "came out good" does not really say very much.

So where and how do I start looking for THE CULPRIT....
    The "how" is not something that can be reduced to one or two simple steps that anyone could perform. And based on what you have told us so far, and the mysterious tests above, I'm not convinced that you have a "CULPRIT".
    ....or should I take it into shop. Whats a normal charge for finding the problem . Depends on time spent looking .Thanks Al
    A reputable automobile electrical shop can tell you if your battery is subject to "excessive" drain when the engine is not running and the car is closed up tight.

The key word here is "excessive" since there will be a constant drain of 25ma to 35ma and that is considered normal. In fact you would not want to prevent a 25ma to 35ma battery drain in a modern car that is used as a daily driver. If your car was sitting in my garage, I could tell you in 30 minutes or less if your battery is experiencing "excessive" drain.

Pay a qualified someone to do the test. And you want a report of the exact amount of current measured AFTER all the modules are put to sleep (approx. 10 to 12 minutes after the meter test leads are connected).

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

.......... and, how old is the battery ? Anything over about 5 years and the battery is the prime suspect. Your symptoms come close to a classic dead cell condition.

Your car takes a specially vented Group 79 battery with a starting capacity of at least 800 CCA. Under the back seat.

pocketpared is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Eldorado

Hi, Had battery and alternator tested and came out good . So where and how do I start looking for THE CULPRIT , or should I take it into shop. Whats a normal charge for finding the problem . Depends on time spent looking .Thanks Al
    In my experience alternator tests don't necessarily show a bad diode. If you disconnect the alternator overnight and there's no problem in the morning every time, then when you leave it connected and the car is dead in the morning, you have a bad alternator. One test I read of for a bad diode, and tried, is check your battery for AC current with a voltmeter when the car is running. It's a DC system so the presence of AC current indicates a bad diode. That's just an additional check to perform and it worked for me. And replacing a bad alternator is usually an easy, cheap DIY.

Btw, my problem was gradual. It started from a dead battery in the morning every 3-4 months or so then ended up happening every day to every other day over the course of 18 months.

oldstuff is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 66 convert-93-96-97-97-99 Eldorados

Most tests for an alternator done by non experts only show wheather or not it is charging. A dead diode allows it to charge but the voltage will flow back through the diode when it is not running. The way to be sure is get under the car, take the the wire off the alternator at night and see if it (the car) runs the battery down over night without it (the alternator) hooked up.Leave your battery hooked up.
    If you take it to a shop and have it tested on a test stand they might still only test for charging.
    Another good do it yourself test is to hook the wire you take off of the alternator to an amp meter and the other terminal on the meter to the alternator with a suitable wire. It doesn't matter which way it is wired (only two ways possible),when the engine is running note the way the needle points and then shut the engine off and look to see how much the needle goes the other way. If it goes the other way at all you have a diode problem.

Hi again, car is doing great and holding 12.1 volts at night to morning. starts just fine everything ok. I just happened to remember the hood was not closed
    all the way , Don,t know if i left it that way or .... no signs of tampering. I didn't think there was an electrical connection with the hood, such as a hood light, guess I never paid attention to that idea. if the hood was left open would there be circuit drain on battery. can't come up with anything else.Will let it ride till it happens again , if it ever does again. later and Thanks Al

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The hood light is only functional when the lights are on, and the hood is open a fair amount. And RAP turns it off after 10 minutes with the key out.

Hi again, car is doing great and holding 12.1 volts at night to morning. starts just fine everything ok. I just happened to remember the hood was not closed
    all the way , Don,t know if i left it that way or .... no signs of tampering.
    Maybe the gremlins forgot to close it when they left.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.