2003 Seville heated seats
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2003 Seville heated seats in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Thanks for all the advice about fixing heated seats. Four wires go to the seat cushion heater. The 2 grey ...
    Kelvin Averbuch is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2003 Seville heated seats

Thanks for all the advice about fixing heated seats. Four wires go to the seat cushion heater. The 2 grey wires were good. The red and the black wires (very thin hair-like wires) on mine had come loose. One minute with a soldering iron fixed that, and the seats heat up beautifully now. Thanks again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BigErn23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Seville STS, 2007 Cadillac Escalade

Re: 2003 Seville heated seats

Did you take your seat apart/leather off?
    I've been meaning to fix my driver seat heater one of these days (from what I read on this forum its most likely the element/wires needing to be soldered)...
    ....but I'm hesitant to take the covers off. Is it a big deal?

Thanks.

General Papi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS, 2006 CTS

I am also curious on what has to be taken apart to check and repair harness if that's what is wrong. Thanks

Hey, Papi.
    Just your driver side heater doesnt work?

Its getting nice and cold here in Chicago.....I needs some heat under there.

....probably take a looksee this weekend.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You need to remove and disassemble the seat - bottom pad off, upholstery removed. The heater element is in the seat pad. About the same for the back. It's an interesting morning's work .........

The soldered jumper at the (one or more) breaks will hold for a while. The new replacements are tougher (last longer). I just posted - today - a diagram of the new replacements. Google "cadillac forums seville heated seat repair" or something close. Every fall there are six or seven threads on this, and a LOT of the advice is still in Tech Tips.

General Papi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS, 2006 CTS

Yes BigErn my drivers seat will not work.

Sub, thanks for the info, might try and tackle that this weekend.

cruzn99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS Seville

Just bought a 2000 sts and have owned a 98-99 sts before, front seat heaters not working took passenger side off today but didn't see any burnt wiring on heating pad, when switch is on Hi or Lo the module clicks every 13 sec or so on both seats I took a module from the rear seat and pluged it into the driver side the module clicked on once but no heat to seat I will try the module on the passenger side tomorrow that seat still has the seat apart. Also when I took the plugs off the passenger module I get 12v to the 4 wire plug and the 2 wire plug nothing.

Sub....the entire seat needs to come out of the car to work on it?
    I have read some info saying the seat hadn't needed to be removed.
    I'm sure you know what ur talking about, but I'm a little hesitant.

I like to get busy and tackle some projects, but I'm not trying to get too crazy here.

BTW approx. how much are the new replacements?
    (Maybe u put that info in that post u mentioned. I'll check it tomorrow from computer.)

Thanks for all your help and infinite Seville wisdom.

And I'll keep in touch with the rest of u guys to see how things turned out!
    I too will be giving this a shot this weekend.

Good luck and warm buns.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You really don't want to try replacing the heating elements with the seat in place. The job will be much, much, MUCH easier with the seat out of the car. You'd have to unbolt it and tilt it forward anyway to get at the wiring connector.

Ok.
    Once unbolted is it super hard to manuever out of the car?
    How many bolts?

And I'm most concerned with how to get the seat cover off....

Any further advise is appreciated. Thanks.

There's a long part of the interior trim chapter in the Cadillac/GM service manual devoted to this seat work - far too much to re-type here. Complete with detailed seat removal procedures. It's not fun, takes time, and is do-able. Removing the seat pad itself is a breeze - removing the seat back pad is - ahem - not a breeze.

The GM labor rate for one seat - seat pad and back pad - is 2 hours ........... in a shop with all the tools and special stuff.

Yeah, the seat back is a PITA to disassemble, and some of the trim pieces are overly delicate.

There are 2 bolts at the rear of the seat. One threaded into the floor under the plastic cover near the center hump. The other is threaded sideways through the seat track, into the sill/rocker panel. The seat has to be all the way forward to remove both bolts.

Once it's unbolted, you need to move the seat to the middle if it's fore/aft travel, put the headrest all the way down, and put the seat back just shy of fully upright. You'll also want the steering wheel fully retracted and fully up. Then you can tilt the seat forward, unplug the 2 electrical connectors, and I clip them from the seat bottom.

The front of the seat rails are hooked into the floor. The easiest way to unhook them is to sit behind the seat, tilt it all the way forward, put your feet under the front of the rails, and lift up with the front of your feet, while pulling the seat backwards (towards you ).

Getting the seat out is a two person job. One standing outside of the front door, and one in the back seat. You have to tilt it onto it's left side (or right side fir the passengers side) as you take it out through the front door. Careful not to hit the steering wheel or door panel.

Is that service manual available anywhere online?
    Seems like a lot to consider....or re-consider.
    Yowzers.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow and see how I feel about all this. Lol
    Thanks for taking the time to help.
    I have just about any tool I need at my disposal and a decent technical/mechanical aptitude....but I'd hate to try all this in vain.

Maybe I'll work up the stones to tackle this after a good nights sleep. Thanks again guys. I appreciate all the help!

AllData is essentially an online version. Less than $30 for a year subscription.

I forget the rate, but multi-year Alldata subscriptions are not expensive. As soon as I bought the STS in 2005 I bought a new set of GM/Helm manuals ($200 + shipping) and a multi-year subscription to Alldata - now, 8 years later, my Alldata costs are still below $100 total.

........ and Alldata is updated (The GM manual is from 02/2002) plus, it has all recalls, labor times, old parts pricing, all TSBs - and like the hard copies it has all RPOs, DTCs and special GM tool numbers for different jobs.

........ BUT like the GM manuals from which it is derived, it can have errors (typos), so you need to have some idea of what you're doing before you start.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.