WOW! Not even sure I fit in here!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By MoistCabbage
  • 1 Post By Submariner409
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, WOW! Not even sure I fit in here! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; New member. I currently own a '99 Eldorado. Did a search on Eldies, and it seems like everything here is ...
    KevininPa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado

WOW! Not even sure I fit in here!

New member. I currently own a '99 Eldorado. Did a search on Eldies, and it seems like everything here is from my youth(I'm in my youthful 50's ). Not my first Caddy. Previously owned an '89 Fleetwood which age, mileage and a wayward stepson killed(the stepson has grown up a bit since and has learned to take care of his vehicles), and a '94 Deville which a tractor trailer decided to turn into target practice.

Was going to sell this car after we bought an '04 Trailblazer. But the "Check Engine" light came on. Being a stand-up type of person, I figured I would take care of the problem. You'd figure what? Probably an O2 sensor or some other minor glitch. Meanwhile, a rebuilt transaxle later(Kudos to Faulkner Cadillac for the best all-around deal), the wife and I have decided to keep the car. It only has a little over 81,000 miles on it. And we both like the sleek styling. Even though it has less power and speed than the Trailblazer, we both love the way it gets up and goes. No surprise for me since my work car is a Subaru . Peppy, but no real power.

So now I'm here. Our goal is to boost up the HP some yet still retain as much of it in factory configuration as possible. From the factory, it came with 275 horse. I'd like to get it to about 350. With better handling. Unless I hear better here, my plans are thus:

-Start with a tune-up.

-some sort of better flowing exhaust

-seriously considering a super-charger or at the least, a cold air intake.

-Finally, a computer tune done with the above changes taken into consideration.

Not building a race car. Just want more ummph.

So what say you kindly Cadillac aficionados, am I worthy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

A "tuneup" for a Northstar is plugs and boots every 100K (the correct AC Delcos ONLY).

There is essentially no after market support for these cars.

The car comes from the factory with a CAI that flows more air than the engine can use at WOT, at redline.

There are NO exhaust systems for Eldos.

A tune is possible for your year, but don't expect much without additional mods.

Forget forced induction. There are no superchargers available for the Northstar. There is ONE FWD Northstar powered Caddilac with a turbo. Lots of custom fab work. The bill was ~$16,000.

If you're starting with a VIN Y base model, you also have the economy final drive ratio (3.11). VIN 9 ETC models have the performance ratio (3.71), as well as 25 more horsepower.

A flow through, mandrel bent, custom cat back system will get you ~15 HP on a VIN 9 engine, maybe a bit less on a VIN Y.

The cheapest/easiest way to get more power, would be to buy an ETC, preferably a '00-'02. Second easiest/cheapest way would be to install the cams, PCM, and transmission from a VIN 9 car.

I'm curious, what was wrong with the transmission? TCC issue? (P0741 code? P1860?)
    RippyPartsDept and vincentm like this.

KevininPa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado

Re: WOW! Not even sure I fit in here!

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post

A "tuneup" for a Northstar is plugs and boots every 100K (the correct AC Delcos ONLY).

There is essentially no after market support for these cars.

The car comes from the factory with a CAI that flows more air than the engine can use at WOT, at redline.

There are NO exhaust systems for Eldos.

A tune is possible for your year, but don't expect much without additional mods.

Forget forced induction. There are no superchargers available for the Northstar. There is ONE FWD Northstar powered Caddilac with a turbo. Lots of custom fab work. The bill was ~$16,000.

If you're starting with a VIN Y base model, you also have the economy final drive ratio (3.11). VIN 9 ETC models have the performance ratio (3.71), as well as 25 more horsepower.

A flow through, mandrel bent, custom cat back system will get you ~15 HP on a VIN 9 engine, maybe a bit less on a VIN Y.

The cheapest/easiest way to get more power, would be to buy an ETC, preferably a '00-'02. Second easiest/cheapest way would be to install the cams, PCM, and transmission from a VIN 9 car.

I'm curious, what was wrong with the transmission? TCC issue? (P0741 code? P1860?)
    Thank you for the welcome Sir!

Don't know what the code was on the tranny. Was told that it was a design flaw from two independent shops and the dealership. The independents wanted less money, but the dealership warrantied for 100,000 miles for slightly more cash outlay. My neighbor used to have an '98 ETC. She went through two trannies. Used to commute, packed on a lot of miles. Engine died with over 300,000 on it though. What gives the ETC more umph? Computer? Drive train?

And what about suspension? I used to have a '79 Jeep J-20 with an in the bed dump body that could go through curves better. Of course I'm guessing the springs are getting tired on this car. Lots of body roll. I know it's a heavy steel car, but it shouldn't roll that much. Or am I just too accustomed to driving my little Suby to be used to a big boat anymore? Heck, my wifes Trailblazer handles the curves better.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    I'm betting your struts are worn out, causing the body roll

As for the performancse difference between the eldorado and ETC, I think it was computer, final drive gearing, and maybe camshafts?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Intake cams, final drive ratio (which puts the engine in a different rpm range for the same vehicle speeds) and PCM tuning. No, a swap won't work. Forget the CAI - not only do you already have a good, very efficient one, but also the PCM will not adapt to different air and fuel flow rates outside of the preset limits. Cutesy air filters won't do a thing except lighten your wallet.

Go through the Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^ in the top black bar. Several articles you need to study. Wade through threads of interest down in Cadillac Tech Tips - it's all in there, too. Study the engine, cooling system, temp gauge, and fan stickys at the top of the Engines; Northstar threads.
    vincentm likes this.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Short of a TBSS if your eldo is slower than a trailblazer you have a major issue.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    Short of a TBSS if your eldo is slower than a trailblazer you have a major issue.
    LOL that was my first thought as well, surprised no one caught that haha.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    No supercharger kits made for eldo. Used to be somewhat common for 85-95 mustangs and u did see a few on camaros but pretty rare. $3-4k was avg price for kit. Now u can get a edelbrock supercharger for $9k for your new Camaro. Some folks have too much money.

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Wildcat 'vert, 92 & 96 Roadmaster Wagons

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    That's what I was thinking. All the eldos I've seen from that era have tons of pep.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

First of all even a base Eldorado (the ESC model) will be way, way faster than a Trailblazer. I mean not even in the same league. If that's not the case then the car has very serious issues.

On a '99 Eldorado the tune up means new sparkplugs and sparkplug wires. The '00 model was the first with coil on spark (thus using boots instead of wires).

The ESC model has practically the same engine as the ESC (the sport model) but different cams. Also the transmission is identical but the final drive is different. The '99 ESC model has 275HP and 300 ftlb compared with the '99 ETC with 300HP and 295 ftlb. Although it has slightly more torque, the ESC final drive set the RPM lower than the ESC for the same speed. This translates in lower fuel consumption and performance. However we are still talking about 275HP vehicle. The Trailblazer has slightly more powerful engine but way more heavy so that puts it in an disadvantage compared even with the ESC.

Turbo on NorthStar, sure you can buy all the mechanical parts for less then $3000, maybe in the same price you even have them bolted to the engine. However you need to worry about the fuel air mixture. So that involves PCM changes, pistons, injectors and so on. The software part will cost in the $8000 range. Also the transmission must be death with so another $4K in there.
    Not sure why nobody is looking onto LS family PCMs, should be way more "open source", probably that would be a cost saving option on a NorthStar turbo conversion.

Exhaust will likely give a 0.1HP gain and lots of noise. I guess no exhaust will provide the best performance gains not because of the extra flow but because of the weight reduction.

CAI, you already have a very efficient CAI from factory (the car was not built on a budget, or not on an ordinary budget).

ETC does have active suspension, that is a big difference in handling compared with the ESC, even though the extra "goodies" do add some weight to the ETC, is not significant compared with the extra HP and better suspension setup.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Trailblazer weighs 4500 lbs. 3.42 axle. 275 HP
    Seville 3800 lbs 275 HP 3.11 axle
    I bet 0-60 is pretty close for both

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.