95 Eldorado No Charge with a twist???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 95 Eldorado No Charge with a twist??? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Yep I have read all I could find but didn't find an answer for this problem The old Alternator did ...
    duke46 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Cadillac Eldorado

Question 95 Eldorado No Charge with a twist???

Yep I have read all I could find but didn't find an answer for this problem

The old Alternator did test bad. New one was instaled and it has been removed and tested fine so it is being put back on. Even the test with what Advance does with their machine that was brought to the shop could not complete the test. Also using my code reader it showed no code for no charge?

This is a one wire Alt. I will have to look it back up but I think it has something to do with the Tach???

Battery test fine and all connections are good and clean and have tested every fuse under the hood but not the ones in the trunk because I didn't see any thing on the list that would have to do with that. So what are we missing here? Could the old ALT have taken out something in the PCM by chance? Or is there a relay that is not working? I have the 96 factory manuals but never could get my hands on a 95 but the main diff was OB I and OB II so that can screw with me on some of the testing I might have to do.

Wife has my truck and I have no ride CAN SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 95 Eldorado No Charge with a twist???

Update on testing. One place I read where I should see like 10 volts on the small red wire to the alt. With the car running all I see is 3.50 volts.
    With more reading I think I understand that the PCM should ground the wire but that is out of the 96 book.
    With key off here is what I am seeing.
    Ohm reading on red wire toward Alt is 14.50 ohms
    Ohm reading to wards PCM is 9.50 ohms

Car running and red wire from Alt cut.
    I read 10.43 volts from PCM
    I read .042 volts from Alt
    With wires back together I read the 3.50 volts.
    Not sure what I can try now and it be safe? Grounding the wire from the Alt with the wire cut might be ok with only the .042 volts but don't want to mess a new Alt up. Or I could send 12 volts to it but then what will I damage if I try that?
    Well back to a little more reading and see if I can find any more info.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I recall someone once having a similar problem. It went on for some time until he pulled the aftermarket alternator and installed an A/C Delco unit. As I recall, the explanation was that the aftermarket alternator did not have some circuitry to allow the PCM to recognize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I recall someone once having a similar problem. It went on for some time until he pulled the aftermarket alternator and installed an A/C Delco unit. As I recall, the explanation was that the aftermarket alternator did not have some circuitry to allow the PCM to recognize it.
    Somewhere in all my searching I think I also read something like that but where and what auto was it talking about? With all the cars/trucks I have had to work on here lately it is a wonder I still have a BRAIN if you know what I mean! I have had to get a couple of trucks ready for sale but this one is not one of them. I just need my truck back HA HA.
    Maybe some one else will chime in on what you have said and boy to I hate to have to go to the Caddy dealer to get one so if you guys know of a better price source PLEASE advise. But I will see what I can find on the net.
    Thanks

If you do need to go that route you can get an A/C Delco unit from Amazon, Rockauto and many other places.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    If you do need to go that route you can get an A/C Delco unit from Amazon, Rockauto and many other places.
    I am getting close to running out of time because the wife heads to the beach for Turkey Day and she be taking my dag truck and I only go down the night before and then eat Turkey the next day and then I come back home. It is kind of her week to get away from all + work. And as you guys know this is not a 5 min swap out. But is doable.

Now to see what I can come up with local even if it is off a wrecked car I guess. Looks like it was made to fit a lot of GM ones as long as I can get an org one and not an aftermarket that happen to work on something beside a Caddy???????? Dag what a bummer and at 67 I do not need this headache for sure.

Thanks for the advice.

Well I called the place that fixed the car for my Wife in 07 and they are a Rebuilder and he told me yes they did rebuild it and that is all they do. So could not locate a AC Delco local and not me not calling the Caddy dealer. They have screwed me out of enough money over the years. My local Rebuilder has just ordered the parts for it and he will pick it up tomorrow.
    So with any luck it should be ready to go by the weekend if all goes well.

Thanks for your help guys.

Keep in mind, I'm only throwing that out as a possibility and not saying that IS your problem. Please let us know, for future reference if it works. Good luck.

Well it was charging yesterday so hope it is good now. The Advance Auto one would not charge but tested good? I do know more than I did before about testing them. Lucky for me my old Alternator was still at the store and I got it back and it was taken to the Rebuilder. $132 latter he dropped it back off at my place. He showed me what took it out and that was oil getting into the armature and slowly eating it up. The regulator was fine and maybe the org one? I also replace the poor old org plug that had been spliced a few times and just a little pull and the wires just came right out. It does not take but maybe 3 volts to get them to charge even though I read 10 volts on the L wire with motor running. The L wire is the only one that is used on this car. But if I understand correct the F wire would be used if the car had a light in the dash. Not real sure at this moment what the larger wire would be used for or the P one and the new plug didn't even have a wire to it but did come with 3 wires and one was all I needed and that was L.
    I did have a problem with wiring in the new plug and if you ever have to replace your org one then you need to use an ohm meter or a battery powered test light. I thought the rebuilt one was not going to work. But after testing the org plug I had wired it up to the F wire and not the L one. Looking at the old plug that had 4 wires and they all looked to be gong straight to the little connectors. WRONG I found out. In only 1/2" of space the F and L wire were crossed inside the molded plug. So when I realized that and then spliced the correct wire L to the wire in the harness the alternator came to life. The Rebuilder said that there is a good chance I took out the F part of the regulator but I didn't need it any way.
    He also told me how he test them after a rebuild. He just uses a couple or maybe just one 1-1/2 volt AA battery from ground to the L pin or wire on a plug and 12 volts to the battery connector on the back of the Alt. If you have an extra plug and the alt is in the car then you use a 12 volt test light with the clamp end on the + side of the battery or the lug on the back of the alt because it is connected to the battery and then you take the other end of the test light and touch the L wire and if it is good the light will come on. This way you know your regulator is good and then with the car running you should see maybe 10 volts on the L plug. But 3 is all it really needs according to him to make it start charging. He also said it can take 10 to 30 seconds for it to kick in. If all that test comes out good then your new or rebuilt alt should be good to go. If those two test out as they should on your old one but it will not charge then it is your armature that is bad.
    We have no idea why the rebuilt alt from Advance would not work and that was using the org plug?? I was told that there can be a difference in the makeup of the regulators and even though the alt may work fine on other GM cars/trucks they may not work on a Caddy that is just a one wire one. Maybe if your car or truck uses two/three or all 4 wires then it may work just fine?
    Now if I could fig out a safe way to place a cover over the back side of this alt or stop the 95 from dammit leaking oil that they are known to do then I would not have had to replace it. But it did last from 2007.
    Thanks for you guys tying to help and I hope that all this info I have posted may help someone down the road. The alt was taken in and out so many times that my friend and my self has it down pat for sure even though it is not something you want to do for sure. What we also found out to make it easy was to lay the alt over so you could get to the pulley and then using an air impact was to remove the pulley and fan and then it would come out easier. You do the same thing when installing it back. Just make sure you put the spacers in the right places when you do. If not you will screw up real quick and be headed to the junk yard to get some parts.
    Have a great one guys.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.