reset computer on a 2003 STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, reset computer on a 2003 STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello guys just wanted to ask for some help. I have a 2003 Seville sts 150,000 miles. Runs smooth and ...
    chucky245 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Seville STS

2003 STS, electrical problems

Hello guys just wanted to ask for some help. I have a 2003 Seville sts 150,000 miles. Runs smooth and all. However, I am having trouble with battery voltage. The car starts right up I never have an issue with that but when I turn put the ignition in the on position the volts usually read 11.6-12.0 volts. I was thinking the battery was going dead so I took it out and had it tested but the ppl over at auto zone told me it was a good bartery showing 12.6 volts. I also came upon a weird problem my fog light button does not work and cannot turn on fog lights and also my front heated seat buttons and traction control button doesn't work/light up. I know all these buttons are fine I've checked fuses and they all used to work perfectly fine before I had voltage problems. I have yet to get the alternator tested, maybe tomorrow but do you guys think the alternator might be the problem for all this?? Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: 2003 Seville sts, strange problem?? help!

have you checked for codes?

Re: 2003 Seville sts, strange problem?? help!

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    have you checked for codes?
    So far it reads DDM B3832 History and DDM 3833 History. I haven't really been driving it too much since I pulled out the battery but if I get more codes I will post them here. Also I think the problems with the buttons started occurring shortly after I removed the abs fuse! I need to replace the steering position sensor and my car engine breaks out of nowhere and can cause a serious accident so I pulled the abs fuse for a while but recently put it back in to see if it would fix the problem with the buttons but nope..

bwv565 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Ford Mustang, 2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT

Re: 2003 STS, electrical problems

Hi chucky, would you post the definitions of the codes as well? It helps diagnose what the problem could potentially be. There is a sticky at the top of the forum with complete information on how to do that. Thanks.

DDM stands for Driver Door Module. Code B3832 & B3833 have to do with the windows sensors, they are probably starting to fail but I highly doubt it is the cause of all my problems. Windows work fine.

bwv565 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Ford Mustang, 2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT

Sorry I meant the definitions of the codes, not the modules

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Thanks for the link. For some reason I can't find the codes I'm getting.. B3832 and B3833 are not on the list..

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

DTC B3832 or B3833
    Circuit Description
    Express Up operation of the front door power windows is monitored and controlled by the front door modules, the window sensors, and the 4 connecting circuits. Each front door window motor has a window sensor mounted to it. The driver door module (DDM) and the passenger front door module (PFDM) each supply battery positive voltage and ground to power their respective window sensors. Each door module communicates with its sensor via a power window high speed serial data circuit, and a power window low speed serial data circuit. The window sensor detects differences in the window motors electrical pulses to determine if there is an obstruction to the travel of the window glass. The door modules use the information generated by the sensors to disable the Express Up movement of a window, or reverse the direction of travel, in the event that a passenger, or other obstacle, has become trapped in it.

The power window low speed serial data circuit is a unique 2-way serial data link between the door module and its sensor. The actual position of the window glass, in relationship to the distance traveled by the window, is communicated via this circuit, as well as state-of-health messages and the direction in which the window is traveling.

Conditions for Running the DTC
    The door modules must be powered and can not have DTC B1327 - Battery Voltage Low or DTC B1328 - Battery Voltage High set for this DTC to set.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
    DTC B3832 indicates that a sensor does not know the actual position of its window glass and has sent a Not Normalized/Not Initialized message over the power window low speed serial data circuit to its corresponding door module. If the failure has occurred to the driver side window, the DDM detects the failure and sets the DTC. If the failure has occurred to the passenger side window, the PFDM detects the failure and sets the DTC.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
    The DDM, or the PDM, will not allow the Express Up function for that window to operate. All other window functions for that window will still operate.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC
    The DDM or PFDM will clear the current DTC when either the DDM, or the PDM, detects that its corresponding sensor is no longer sending the message.

Diagnostic Aids
    DTC B3832 may be set and the Express Up function disabled if the vehicle or the door module has recently lost power for any reason. You should first attempt to re-initialize the Express Up function. Refer to Window Motor Programming - Express Function .

If DTC B3832 is accompanied by DTC U1714, utilize the DTC U1714 or U1716 diagnostic table before using this table. Refer to DTC U1714 or U1716 .

If DTC B3832 is set by itself and the vehicle or door module has not recently lost battery power, it is likely that the window sensor itself has failed.

Test Description
    The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

When DTC B3832 is accompanied by DTC U1713 or DTC U1714, a failure of the window sensor battery voltage circuit, or the window sensor low reference circuit, may be the cause. This step directs you to the correct diagnostic chart where these failures are addressed.

This step determines if the window is operational at all. The step does not ask the technician to attempt the Express Up movement because, when DTC B3832 is set current, the door module disables the Express Up function.

This step addresses the possibility that the DTC may have been set, and Express Up disabled, because the vehicle door module has recently lost power due to a battery disconnect or other reason. Performing the window express programming procedure will eliminate this as the possible cause of the DTC.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by chucky245 View Post
    Thanks for the link. For some reason I can't find the codes I'm getting.. B3832 and B3833 are not on the list..
    The web-based code lists are rarely if ever updated. Car makers add new codes to their lists each time a new gee-whiz gizmo is added to the option list. About the only codes you can count on are "P" codes (Powertrain) and even then the list changes from time to time as the EPA/SAE/Auto makers agree on what the code should test for and what constitutes a failure in the emissions control system (applies to P codes with the format P0xxx).

You have your two "B" codes correctly categorized in your post #5

B3832 - Window Position Sensor Circuit
    B3833 - Window Position Sensor Circuit

This still doesn't solve my issue though.. My cars giving me the ddm codes for quite some time and have never had an issue. I remember reading somewhere on this forum that another person had a similar problem with the traction control button not lighting up/working but everything worked fine just the buttons were like disabled somehow. But no one ever figured out the issue.. I guess this might be a rare issue not too many people encounter lol. Or could just be the alternator giving out.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by chucky245 View Post
    -------------------------
    here is a better site - your codes are listed here -
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/dtccode.html

Anybody have the slightest clue why my fog light and traction control buttons are not working?? Like I said they do work just the buttons do not anymore.

reset computer on a 2003 STS

Hello I just want to know how to properly reset the computer on my 2003 seville sts. Yes I have used Google and came out with like 3 different answers a lot of them aren't even straight forward. Some say turn headlights on and disconnect battery, others say, just disconnect battery and the last was disconnect battery and touch positive and negative cables together. So which is it??? I Want to completely reset everything. I tried disconnecting the battery for a while and when I reconnected it my seat and radio stations were still saved??? Please help thanks!!

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Many settings are always retained.

There are several computers in your car. There really is no "reset".

Disconnecting both battery cables and touching them together momentarily is a sort of "reboot". But it won't clear any settings.

What exactly are you trying to accomish?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.