reset computer on a 2003 STS - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, reset computer on a 2003 STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by MoistCabbage Many settings are always retained. There are several computers in your car. There really is no ...
    chucky245 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Seville STS

Re: reset computer on a 2003 seville sts

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Many settings are always retained.

There are several computers in your car. There really is no "reset".

Disconnecting both battery cables and touching them together momentarily is a sort of "reboot". But it won't clear any settings.

What exactly are you trying to accomish?
    I was trying to do some kind of a master reset because my fog light button, traction control button, and front 2 heated seat buttons are not working. They do work but its as if the buttons themselves got disabled some how. I made a post a while back labeled 2003 sts, electrical problems regarding this issue but no one has an answer to it. I thought maybe by resetting the computer I might be able to fix this issue. Thanks for the reply

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    If touching the cables didn't do anything, it's not a computer issue that can be fixed by resetting.

Did they all fail at the same time?

Do the seat heater buttons light up when pressed?

Have you checked any fuses?

If touching the cables didn't do anything, it's not a computer issue that can be fixed by resetting.

Did they all fail at the same time?
    Hi
    Do the seat heater buttons light up when pressed?

Have you checked any fuses?
    I have not tried touching the cables together yet. But yes they stopped working at the same time. The fuses are good I already checked them. The fog light button and heated seat buttons illuminate like normal but the traction control button does not light up like it used to. The heated seat buttons no longer says hi/lo when pressed but they do illuminate when i turn the ignition on.

The button illumination and button functions are totally different circuits. I guess it's possible the buttons may share a ground, but I don't know.

Have you pulled codes?

The button illumination and button functions are totally different circuits. I guess it's possible the buttons may share a ground, but I don't know.

Have you pulled codes?
    I just pulled the codes and this is what I got now,
    DDM U1715
    IRC U1016
    MSM U1000
    RSS U1000
    They are all history codes. For some reason every time I clear the codes history codes always come back never any current.

If you get the same history code/s all the time, it's probably a sign of an intermittent problem.

But the codes are meaningless without definitions.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 2003 STS, electrical problems

As in: switch illumination light bulbs burnt out ? or when you push TC you get no DIC message ON/OFF ?

chucky, Your two threads on the same subject have been merged. (Thus the late question above)

PLEASE bookmark and use this in ALL code correspondence - http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

altacarp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS, 79 Eldo, 93 Sedan Deville, 2005 Escalade

Re: reset computer on a 2003 STS

Chucky is on the right track here about some kind of reset to get back the odd buttons that decide not to light up anymore. The car has what someone on here pointed out to me a keep alive memory that remembers settings. If there was a way to reflash maybe like an eeprom reflash or something for the seperate cpu's in our cars. I know the traction button lights up it just doesn't very often and sometimes steering wheel buttons don't light up in Driver 2 but work in Driver 1. A guy like Chris from costar that invented the bluestar onstar integration and posts on here would probably be able to do this but I imagine he's driving brand new STS by now and wouldn't have time for this but would be nice!

KAM has nothing to do with the retained memory settings, and I don't see any way that button illumination could be affected by which driver profile is selected.

It isn't too uncommon for a filament in one of these tiny bulbs to break, but periodically make contact and work.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Yeah, button illumination is simply basic light bulb technology and nothing more, no computer magic involved. When the interior lights are on there should be power to the button lamp and it illuminates. Simple as your kitchen light.

Yeah that ^^^

Individual button illumination is not controlled by the system or module that button controls - illumination and intensity is the job of the headlight switch instrument lamp variable resistor assembly. If a light is out or intermittent it's either the bulb or the switch connector.

altacarp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS, 79 Eldo, 93 Sedan Deville, 2005 Escalade

Reset the computer in a 2003 sts? Makes me wonder if it were possible using a GM scan tool to hard reset the the entire car and clear everything. Totally reset the keep alive memories used for retained memory settings like Driver 1 and 2 seat and wheel settings along with all the other computers and modules and make the car like brand new. I just don't always buy the loose wire solves all specially on these cars when I have seen the traction control button light on the console and the light on the track select button on the right side of the steering wheel simultaneously go totally dark in Driver 1 and then come back to life in Driver 2?

Keep alive memory is PCM related (drive cycle info, fuel mileage, any "learned" parameters such as idle or driver adaptive shifting...). Nothing to do with switches or lighting. You can reset it by disconnecting the battery.

"Personalization" - Driver 1, driver 2 has nothing to do with instrument illumination - that's the little popout (manual) twist knob on the headlamp switch. TC is not customized in Personalization, either - it's normally manually set ON or OFF (DIC message either way), and TC will automatically operate in uneven speed wheelspin conditions.

To "reset" a 1996 or later PCM requires a dedicated re-program/reflash using the car's original VIN program and a GM Tech-II scan tool.

As MC posted, many individual modules can be booted by disconnecting the battery cables for a half hour or so. You MIGHT have to reset the fuel computer section of the DIC afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    As in: switch illumination light bulbs burnt out ? or when you push TC you get no DIC message ON/OFF ?

chucky, Your two threads on the same subject have been merged. (Thus the late question above)

PLEASE bookmark and use this in ALL code correspondence - http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm
    Yeah the fog light button and traction button stopped illuminating one day and stopped working. I press the traction button and fog light button and nothing happens. I do know they work just the buttons themselves do nothing anymore..i checked fuses and disconnected battery I even touched the positive and negative cables together and nothing!! Some how my radio and seat settings were still saved after the battery was disconnected for almost a whole day.

----------

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I one day removed the abs fuse because it was throwing the code for steering wheel position sensor. And it literally would engine brake out of nowhere while I was driving so I pulled the fuse out for about a month and then the fog light, front heated seats, and traction control buttons all stopped working. I put back the abs fuse to see if that would fix the issue but nope. I haven't experienced any service system stability ever since I put the use back in.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.