What do you call this mirror thingamajig??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, What do you call this mirror thingamajig?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; In the process of fixing my passenger rear view mirror from not working up and down, I broke the the ...
    carmaster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02 Seville STS

What do you call this mirror thingamajig??

In the process of fixing my passenger rear view mirror from not working up and down, I broke the the plastic piece that connects the glass to the motor mechanism that moves the mirror. Everything was going great until I tried popping the glass back on, it wasn't lined up perfectly and broke the little plastic rod inside of the piece. Does anyone know what the part is called, a part number or how to easily find one? I attached a picture of what I'm talking about.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    It's not available separately, not sure what the actual name of it is. Salvage yard time.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Re: What do you call this mirror thingamajig??

Quote Originally Posted by carmaster View Post
    ....Does anyone know what the part is called, a part number or how to easily find one?
    Name or part # is not going to help you. The only parts source will be used parts yards. The good news is any Seville from 1998 to 2004 and any Deville from 2000 to 2005 will have the same pieces and there is no difference left to right.

They might want you to buy the entire glass to get the drive shafts.

Thanks! I was kind of figuring I would have to buy the whole mirror to get the piece. I guess I'll start looking for a broken mirror to find the piece, or find a boneyard one.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The mirror is moved up/down, left & right on 4 ball & sockets. The sockets are on the mirror back plate. The balls are part of the housing. As mentioned, yours is broken and a non serviceable part. That said, if it is a nice clean break you might get away with a JB Weld repair.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

The mirror attaches to the motor (for movement) and to the sensors (for feed back).
    This piece you broke is (I believe) one of the connecting rods for the sensors.

This is why many people report mirror making a clicking sound past a certain position, is the gear inside the motor movement skipping a tooth. That is because when the mirror was attached the sensors (some of the connecting rods) were not installed so the mirror moves but not the sensor thus the MMM doesn't know when is at the end of the movement.

Probably the only source for this part is a wrecking yard. Possibly other GM vehicles (outside the Cadillac range) may have this rod too.

The problem is now the mirror only moves outwards and not inwards. I wish I didn't loose the little plastic shaft inside of the cylinder of the drive shaft piece, or I would try gluing it. Too bad most junk yards seem to pull off the mirrors before they go out to the yard for resale. The only reason I took it off is because it didn't go up and down. That part snapped in, but I misaligned the left/right motion. The previous owner should have just left it alone! Any tips to reinstalling it when I do find the right part?

Any tips to reinstalling it when I do find the right part?
    I assume you mean the entire mirror assembly? You'll have to remove door panel. After that it should be self evident.

I meant the mirror glass to the mirror housing. It's tough to line up the drive shafts and the 3 other ball sockets so things don't break.

The only tip I can give is to cut a piece of plywood or 2x4 to press it in with. Cut the wood to size so that it presses on the glass frame as opposed to the glass. It's the glass that usually gets broken as opposed to what you broke. Maybe a little lube on the balls so they self align and slip in a little easier is the only tip I can think of.

I didn't think of using some lube, thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.