Drivers temperature actuator failure mode / observations
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Drivers temperature actuator failure mode / observations in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So, the driver's side temperature actuator finally failed. No relation between what the setting on the IPC was, and the ...
    naif is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville STS, 2004 Deville DHS

Drivers temperature actuator failure mode / observations

So, the driver's side temperature actuator finally failed. No relation between what the setting on the IPC was, and the air flowing out of the system (passenger's side worked fine.) I replaced it (not that hard, actually) - the previous one actually still rotated under computer control, and nothing mechanical was broken, but it had almost no torque - probably a winding in the motor inside the actuator failed. New part (Dorman branded) worked as expected.

The interesting observation that I made is that when the dial is all the way down or up (60F or 90F), and you turn it past the maximal setting, and then stop for a couple of seconds, the motor pushes a little bit more in that direction, repeatedly (so turn past 60 for a second, wait two seconds, it moves, repeat). Good for lining up the actuator with the flap for initial install.

(Unrelatedly, I "fixed" a misfire (no fuel flow as indicated by spark plug condition) by tapping the injector with a wrench - guess it needed some "percussive mantainance" Should I just replace it now (I actually have a new fuel injector from a mistaken purchase two years ago), or replace it only if it acts up again, on the assumption that I just jostled whatever piece of crap was blocking it?)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Drivers temperature actuator failure mode / observations

Hard to say. One school of thought is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The other is if it failed once, it will fail again. I'd probably take the wait & see route, but one hiccup and it's out of there. Your call.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.