1967 Eldorado Coolant Flush
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1967 Eldorado Coolant Flush in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm in the process of getting the car ready for winter and decided that it is time to flush the ...
    13ir14314 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 DHS, 1967 Eldorado

1967 Eldorado Coolant Flush

I'm in the process of getting the car ready for winter and decided that it is time to flush the old nasty coolant. I flushed the heater core and radiator and they flow nicely. Before I put new coolant in I want to flush the engine and get it clean too. I was thinking I could just pour water in the outlet where the thermostat is but it looks like it will just run through the pump and out the lower radiator hose and not through the motor, right? How do I properly flush and add anti-freeze to the motor?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: 1967 Eldorado Coolant Flush

Quote Originally Posted by 13ir14314 View Post
    I'm in the process of getting the car ready for winter and decided that it is time to flush the old nasty coolant. I flushed the heater core and radiator and they flow nicely. Before I put new coolant in I want to flush the engine and get it clean too. I was thinking I could just pour water in the outlet where the thermostat is but it looks like it will just run through the pump and out the lower radiator hose and not through the motor, right? How do I properly flush and add anti-freeze to the motor?
    ---------------------
    here is what you need -

the Prestone flush-n-fill kit -
    less than $6 - with free shipping - on ebay -
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prestone-Flu...643948&vxp=mtr

or Walmart - or any auto parts store should have it -
    you tap into the heater hose - connect the garden hose -
    it back-flushes the entire cooling system -

see this video -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i36pDzhFkBQ

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

There are service stations (all fluids) that offer a flush. They will have a unit that flushes the coolant system. I know I had it done in Tucson in '99 and I have never found a service station in Holland or Germany that can flush the whole cooland system. So I always had some old coolant left in the system since then when I replaced it.

Thanks for the tips. I had the car running and now its not again so I can't bring it anywhere. Everything is very easy to access, that's why I was flushing components individually. I was going to flush it with a garden hose in the summer but it never happened so now I'm stuck with a bucket and a funnel.

I did some looking in there service manual of the coolant flow path and pictures of the pump and I think I should be able to just power water in the outlet where the thermostat is and it will go through the block and the through the pump and out. I thought that the thermostat housing was the outlet for the pump and that all the water I put in would just come out, but that's not the case.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Unless there is a lot of rust or some snake oil additive in the system a simple drain and refill would suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Unless there is a lot of rust or some snake oil additive in the system a simple drain and refill would suffice.
    I don't belive there are any snake oils in it but it's all water from when I was running it. I wanted to flush the crap out before putting new coolant in but never did and now winter is coming and I have to get anti-freeze in there. I thought that if I did a simple drain and fill water would still be sitting in the block and freeze.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Well, by drain and refill I assumed you would start the car and run it a bit to circulate the coolant and mix it with any water remaining in the engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.