Want to upgrade sound
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Want to upgrade sound in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; In my 2001 ESC Restore, I hate the sound. Base Radio with no CD. I am interested in adding an ...
    JackFunTeach is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Eldorado ETC, 2001 Eldorado ESC Custom Project, and ...

Want to upgrade sound

In my 2001 ESC Restore, I hate the sound. Base Radio with no CD.

I am interested in adding an aftermarket modern CD system head unit with high end speakers. Can I just wire directly from the battery, mount it somewhere below the dash, and use indepent self enclosed speakers, not the stock door speakers?

My plan is to: Wire from battery. Use head unit to power two self enclosed speakers to act as FR, FL, and then, disonnect the rear speakers from stock radio, and wire the same head unit to the new 6 x 9s in the rear window in the stock trunk mount.

Wire a second power source from battery again to power a sub woofer amp, then put sub in trunk. Will this work successfully without messing up battery?

I will end up with stock radio intact less rear speakers, but still has fronts.

I only wish I could find a way to easily wire head unit to ignition source?

Jack

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    My reply to your other post:

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    Ummm... Why?

You'll end up with 2 stereos (no point), one of which will only play up front, and one of which that will look extremely jerry rigged (and so will the 2 additional speakers). It probably won't sound any better than the stock system.

And unless you're going to amplify the speakers, forget about adding a sub. It will just overpower them.

What are you trying to accomplish? Do you have the Bose system?
    That's really just a messy way to go about an audio upgrade. If you don't have Bose, you can just upgrade the speakers and add amps and a sub. If you want a different HU, you can get an integration module, and install any one you'd like.

Re: Want to upgrade sound

MoistCabbage...You see, my understanding is that if I don't have a Bose, which I do not, then, it's DO NOT TOUCH. And if no way to upgrade to a Bose System. No joy. I was informed that there was something about the security system is in the head unit, no? I was informed NOT to disturb the stock head unit in anyway. Do you know why?

Re: your idea of upgrading speakers, yes...possible, but the stock AM/FM radio has no usb or ipod interface. There is a way to feed an aux plug directly into the antennae, though. So, possibility, but not ideal. Then, the stock base radio is low, low quality sound. It would be like putting high end tires on a YUGO. Does this make sense? I do not think so...Now, regarding the integration unit. I know nothing about those. Do you know of any good ones that would help me to integrate a different HU?

I wanta a full CD Capable...may be even DIN system. Get rid of the stock speakers, power it through the stock back panel location...something like Boston Accoustic 6 x 9s...powered through a top modern Head Unit. A new HU's placement would not be ideal, but better than depending on the AM/FM base radio.

The, as I said, run an amp directly from the battery to a rear sub, using a capacitor so as NOT to over tax the alternator/charging system.

The end result with be 1000 times better than depending on a stock am/fm...no ipod...non aux...no real power....no good rear picture display.

So, I hope this explain my reasoning.

MY Question is: has anyone done so successfully, and is there a way to power this via the ignition system successfully. Any particular wiring method that will be important.

Thanks
    Jack

purelux is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 deville
    Yes as moist said an interaction module is the way to go to upgrade and retain functionality. But as for trying to wire direct and using a cap to avoid an alternator upgrade best of luck, more power consumed needs more power supplied. A cap is designed to be able to quickly discharge and charge quickly for very short periods. I've seen alot of people come in to the shop buying hundreds of dollars in batteries and multiple caps with stock alternator, usually doesn't work. I don't know of the model numbers but they are out there, try crutchfield.

Quote Originally Posted by purelux View Post
    Yes as moist said an interaction module is the way to go.
    Do you happen to know of one that works well with our system, and do you know of any wiring tips or tricks. This is my ONLY real inquiry.

Jack

Ok, where to start...

Yes, the original HU is part of the anti theft system and serial data bus. You cannot simply remove it and install an aftermarket HU with a basic adapter harness. That's what an integration module is for. Think of it as a fancy adapter harness that makes an aftermarket HU get along with the anti theft system and serial data bus. Installed correctly, there's no problem with an after market HU. Metra makes a module for your car.

DIN system? DIN is a reference to the size of the HU. Most aftermarket HUs are single DIN. There is also 1.5 and double DIN.

Capacitors are worthless. They don't take any load off of the electrical system, they take more power from it. After a few hits from the sub, they're empty, and just extra load.

As posted, a sub will be overkill in an otherwise in amplified system. You'll just drown out the speakers. No matter how much you spend on an HU, they max out at ~50/60 watts per channel. And that's MAX power (the power they'll put out right before melting), not RMS (the power they'll actually put out under normal conditions).

If you DID have a Bose system, things would be different. You can't use a different amp, and your speaker choice is stock, or the 1 or 2 after market speakers that are of low enough impedance.

If you want to upgrade from stock without spending several thousand dollars, get whatever HU you'd like and an integration module (or add an AUX input to your stock HU), get some decent 2 way or component speakers, a small 4 way amp, and a 10" or 12" sub and amp. Or, skip the amps and sub, but then you're fairly close to the stock system.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

why not skip the CD-installation and install something that accepts USB? I went through the hassle of copying my CDs to MP3s, but it is worth the effort having your complete music collection in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by 70eldo View Post
    why not skip the CD-installation and install something that accepts USB? I went through the hassle of copying my CDs to MP3s, but it is worth the effort having your complete music collection in your pocket.
    Now that makes sense. Finally, thank you for exactly addressing what I'm trying to think through. Awhile back, a colleague of mine used to always make a "game" of collecting the best of this or that. May be you are on to something with a USB focus.

Thank you for your help!

Jack

----------

Thanks for your details and reminding me about Crutchfields. I have to contact them regarding the speaker plug in adapters. They are super helpful even to consult with compatibility.

They idea of a bigger battery does not make sense. I have a new regular battery and I think that's fine. I think I should consider a bigger alternator. But with only one (1) amp pushing a 2/1 mono Kicker Sub it may not be necessary. My amp will be rated at max 400 to 500 watts. Not the crazy 3000 to 6000 ones that the kids use to "share" their music with the entire neighborhood.

This is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. Scoose makes a kit with everything to plug and play. If anyone had done a simple upgrade for better sound, then, please let me know what actually works.

My goal is to do what 3 frineds are doing: Good head unit that does a max of 50 watts per channel x four. One sub amp rated for a max of 400 to 500 watts. The end result that I heard is at least 1000 % better than stock. I want to do this very, very simple upgrade, meaning nothing heavery duty like double 12s pushing 6000 watts.

Hope to hear of what actually works.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JackFunTeach

Now that makes sense. Finally, thank you for exactly addressing what I'm trying to think through. Awhile back, a colleague of mine used to always make a "game" of collecting the best of this or that. May be you are on to something with a USB focus.
    ?? In post #3 you said an aux input wasn't ideal...

Even 1 sub with 400/500 watts going to it will completely drown out a 200 watt speaker system unless you have the gain way down. And "high end" speakers, as you mentioned in post #1, are designed to be amplified.

It sounds like you want a system with some fairly good sound quality - Boston Acoustics speakers and a modest sub setup. But you want to accomplish it with inadequate amplification, and with the speakers in pods, wired to a redundant HU.

You should probably decide exactly what you want to do, and do some research on mobile audio, before going any further.

Or, if you like the sound of your friends' half systems, just get what they have. But in that case. it would still make MUCH more sense, and be much simpler, to just replace the stock HU, rather than mount the new one under it.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    ?? In post #3 you said an aux input wasn't ideal...

Even 1 sub with 400/500 watts going to it will completely drown out a 200 watt speaker system unless you have the gain way down. And "high end" speakers, as you mentioned in post #1, are designed to be amplified.

It sounds like you want a system with some fairly good sound quality - Boston Acoustics speakers and a modest sub setup. But you want to accomplish it with inadequate amplification, and with the speakers in pods, wired to a redundant HU.

You should probably decide exactly what you want to do, and do some research on mobile audio, before going any further.

Or, if you like the sound of your friends' half systems, just get what they have. But in that case. it would still make MUCH more sense, and be much simpler, to just replace the stock HU, rather than mount the new one under it.
    Just trying to think it through BEFORE I spend cash. I don't think anything wrong with that. Thought in progress.

My friends DO NOT have Cadillacs. I think we have to keep the stock HU because of critical secruity systems needs, but I could be wrong. As mentioned already, I heard that you can NOT get rid of the stock HU?

And if you have any specific suggestions that would work in a Cadillac, then, please offer it. I am inviting ideas of what actually works in our Cadillac, specific equipment or wiring. If anyone has gone down this road, then, it would be super helpful. Moist, have you actually installed something that works in our cars, If so, please allow me to copy it.

Jack

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Jack, Have you waded through the pages of Item Specific; Audio, Video, Security ? Many installs there as well as discussions on the original HU and Cadillac TheftLock problems.

No, I have not installed anything in my car...yet. My planned SQ system will cost several thousand dollars, not something I have the money to throw at right now. I could list the components, but It wouldn't help with what you're trying to accomplish.

I've already explained what you need to replace the stock HU without any issues, and that's the only Cadillac specific item. The rest of the system can be installed in anything. I've also already posted my suggestion of what to buy for a simple system that will sound better than stock. Brands are up to you. You might want to look into Focal Access speakers, and I personally like JL amps and subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Jack, Have you waded through the pages of Item Specific; Audio, Video, Security ? Many installs there as well as discussions on the original HU and Cadillac TheftLock problems.
    Great suggestion, thank you for helping out this new beat find is way.
    Appreciatively,
    Jack

ctmoney219 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Eldorado 1998 seville sts 1991 deville
    You can change the hu its a special harness its 100$$ but its possible without damaging pass i run 4 kenwood 5 phase 6x9s with one 12" l5 with a 500 watt alpine in order to get the best on ur ttreble end without drowning you need to really splurge on a head unit i use a pioneer avic 3 dvd and navi you get to customize your eq alot more with these

----------

My 92 eldo was simple my 98 sts was a pocket buster

CTMONEY,
    You get it! That is exactly what I have been hoping to hear or find out. Even though there is a 10 year difference in our vehicles, I am going to copycat everything that you have done.
    You nailed it right on the head, thank you for your genius

Respectfully,
    Jack

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.