Right front suspension noise after a little "accident"
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Right front suspension noise after a little "accident" in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all! First, I'd like to thank everyone who helps in advance. I have a 2002 Seville. In January, at ...
    schwpaul is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville SLS

Right front suspension noise after a little "accident"

Hello all!

First, I'd like to thank everyone who helps in advance. I have a 2002 Seville. In January, at about 128,000 miles I decided to replace the front and rear struts and shocks on my car. They were not making noise, but I figured that at that mileage, it was time for them to be replaced. All of the replacement parts are Monroe parts. After that replacement, I had a slight bit of a noise every time I hit the smallest of bumps in the road. A manhole cover or a road patch all passed noise on. Two weekends ago, I ran off of the road in an area with very narrow shoulders and very big drop-offs. When I first veered off, I tried to correct and ended up bending my front rim and blowing my front right tire. This pulled me back off of the road and caused my back right tire to blow and it caused my strut to push up and permanently bend my hood. I had the car towed to a "tire" store. They told me I would need a new strut and mount. I ended up getting a new rim, 4 tires, a strut, and a mount. My car now makes very loud metal on metal sounds when the right tire goes over road patches or manhole covers. Going down a smooth road, you would never know there is a problem. The shop that did the original work says that they think the strut mount is bad. I had some doubts and got a second opinion. The second shop says they think a part is missing and wanted to get a quick strut. Are there any parts I could be missing? Is there a diagram of the front suspension anywhere? I am very upset now and don't know what to think.

Thank you in advance,

Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Right front suspension noise after a little "accident"

This help any?
    Check the stabilizer link bushings (#37), stabilizer bushing (#29) and the control arm bushings (not listed, but seen pressed into the control arm between #23 & #26).
    http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...042&SortKey=18

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    This help any?
    Check the stabilizer link bushings (#37), stabilizer bushing (#29) and the control arm bushings (not listed, but seen pressed into the control arm between #23 & #26).
    http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...042&SortKey=18

Thank you very much, Ranger. I'm sure this will help.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

"Right front suspension noise after a little "accident"
    "it caused my strut to push up and permanently bend my hood"

I can not wrap my mind around those two.
    You hit hard enough to drive a strut thru the strut tower and damage the hood?
    That is a minor accident?
    Was there anything left to bolt a replacement strut to?
    Pictures would help me.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I completely missed that. Yeah, THAT is not minor. That is major damage and the car (suspension) will never be the same.

Okay, I am back again.

I went back to the original tire shop and they replaced the replacement strut mount. This has not changed the front end noise. I am told all looks tight in the suspension of the car, but the noise is going to drive me nuts. The car was aligned and required a camber kit for the alignment. The alignment is in spec and the car tracks straight going down the road. I think the the car does not feel the same at high speeds (as if the steering does not seem as precise). Two repair shops cannot see a problem, but the noise is quite loud when you hit the smallest of bumps in the road. I have read countless posts about front end noise here and I am going to have the sway bar bushings and end links replaced tomorrow. Is there anything else anyone can think of that I should have them looking for? Is there anything that might be bent (control arm, etc.). I am thinking about having them replace the control arm too, just so I can eliminate those bushings as a cause of noise also. I am not mechanically adept. Should I have them replace anything else? Also, as a note, when applying weight and pushing down on the car to try to recreate the noise, no noise can be heard, but you can see much more movement at the top of the strut mount on the side that went off of the road.

Thank you,

Paul

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

I had a similar issue with an aftermarket strut mount/bearing on my Eldo. I had bought replacements and after a couple days of driving had noises and rattles and hard steering. Turned out when I removed the new part and compared with the old that there was a clearance slot missing from the new piece. had metal-on-metal rubbing within the strut mount itself. Sent the parts back and sent photos to the manufacturer. Bought OEM strut mounts and it was perfect again. No idea if the same issue applies to your Seville, but it's worth a look.

>>>>>"I had a similar issue with an aftermarket strut mount/bearing on my Eldo. I had bought replacements and after a couple days of driving had noises and rattles and hard steering. Turned out when I removed the new part and compared with the old that there was a clearance slot missing from the new piece. had metal-on-metal rubbing within the strut mount itself. Sent the parts back and sent photos to the manufacturer. Bought OEM strut mounts and it was perfect again. No idea if the same issue applies to your Seville, but it's worth a look.>>>>>

That is an interesting thought. One of the two shops I took it to thought something might be missing and that is why he wanted to get a whole quick strut assembly. I may just order and OEM mount.

Thank you for the idea.

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

This is from an Eldorado (not sure how different the 98+ Seville changed the suspension), but the part circled was the spot without the clearance notch. Or could have been 180* around, right under the 3rd stud, it was obvious though.

ttbf.png

So that top plate (#2) is the strut mount/bearing assembly. The bottom portion is a rubber ring that sits on the spring retainer (#3). With the aftermarket part, the strut worked fine for a few days, but after the rubber compressed a little that bearing plate would rub on the spring retainer.

I'm not sure it's necessary to buy a whole new strut, just get OE strut bearings and make sure the rubber bump stops (#6) are good as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.