98 Radio U1L
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 98 Radio U1L in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 98 has a cassette Radio. (U!L) No Bose. 6 speakers AW6 I would like to put in a radio ...
    fixit24031 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Eldorado

Question 98 Radio U1L

My 98 has a cassette Radio. (U!L) No Bose. 6 speakers AW6
    I would like to put in a radio with a CD Player or remote changer in the trunk
    Is there an existing cadillac radio that will drop right in?
    32 Pin connector

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    I am 98% sure I have seen a 98-99 non-Bose cd, hu for caddy in my junkyard trips. Probably pretty easy to find on eBay. I also think u can install factory cd changer on your system. My car has Bose, cassette, trunk cd changer.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Your car is presided for a console mounted changer. You'll need one from a '98-'01

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: 98 Radio U1L

There is a similar (if not identical) thread on the same page.
    If you have '98 with only cassette player (no InDash CD) then you have base sound system.
    YOU CANNOT ADD INDASH CD TO A BASE SOUND SYSTEM!
    I know they look the same and you are tempted to say "heck is from the same car and year, must work". Let me stop you right there and perhaps save you some money and frustration. The HU you see with InDash CD are for BOSE sound systems. You cannot imagine how much different the 2 systems are (yes the connector is the same and mounts perfectly in the dash) but that's about it.
    Let me tell you what it will happen, you plug it in, you do the VIN clear procedure (let's not get into details and money figure what that involves) and the new HU will turn ON, you actually have control over it (clock, all displays, volume level display, basically everything) but you will have NO SOUND, not even chimes.

The BOSE sound system involves extra module/relays, 4 amplifiers and 4 different speakers with enclosures, and a complete rewiring of the entire sound system (every single wire with in the sound system must be replaced). The cost of doing all that (if you find a qualified technician) will pretty much be similar with the value of your car.

The best news for you, yes there is a good news, with less than $100 (probably less then $50) you can add a 12 Disk OEM CD changer. It mounts in the trunk and the car is already pre-wired for it, all it takes is put in the 2 bolts to screw the bracket on the trunk floor (all holes available) and then connect the cable (is tucked away in the power antenna area underneath the trunk liner) and BAM instant CD player.
    The HU will recognize the CD changer and a new icon will show up on the screen. Now when pressing source you will have Radio/Tape/CDChanger.
    The HU is designed to control fully the changer (including steering wheel controls). The key is to get a OEM unit not some aftermarket crap that is actually radio and requires a controller.
    These OEM changers are easily available on EBAY or local wrecking yards for next to nothing. Just ensure it comes with the disk trays and the bracket (specific to Cadillac). The CD changer was used in Corvette, some Pontiac/Buick and other similar GM vehicles (and the bracket is not the same).

This is what you need:

The connector and harness shown above is already in the car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.