About to buy a 1988 STS. Should I? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, About to buy a 1988 STS. Should I? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Don't know "Larry" but i did rob my info from an old website. Very, very good observations and opinions. Considering ...
    Mr.BayArea is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Seville STS, 08 Acura TL

Re: About to buy a 1988 STS. Should I?

Don't know "Larry" but i did rob my info from an old website. Very, very good observations and opinions. Considering the high mileage, engine and trans. never worked on and the rarity of parts I do believe $5k is too much. It is definitely time for something and anything to "go out" on the car. With the A/C replacement and other "must be addressed 25 yr old parts" I will easily be at $9,000 in 30 days.(A/C alone $2,000). I mean, really folks, a guy with a tag that reads "STS Seville Hunter" would know. So i assume your saying that 140,000 mi w/o a tranny rebuild is a breakdown jus around the corner. I think those Chrome VOGUE Stardust rims w/ Vogue yellow pinstriped tires, perfect interior and clean body blinded my common sense. 2.5-3k Max. My apologizes for stirring up this truly helpful thread and i aint posted one darn picture. u gotta see this thing. Got the pictures on photobucket but cannot figure out how to export to my Album. They've got 3 addresses to choose from. I pick the one that says "for forums,bulletin boards". I copy to Album upload box and it keeps saying "error". i type Img before and after URL and that error's too. I'll keep trying. Thanks everyone. Saved me Thousands.

STS_Seville_Hunter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 ETC, 91 STS, 98 Eldo Convertable, '93 Seville

My observations is if the trans hasn't had any service it'll usually be worn out and fail right around 150k miles, I'm assuming you wont be working on it but taking it to a shop? However if you really like the car and can talk the price down to something reasonable it'll be worth it. Sometimes its not about what monetary value is but what its worth to you
    Post the link to your photobucket and I'll post the pics.

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/An...tcher/library/

I'm usually pretty computer savvy. But, this copying the URL under the individual pictures to the "upload" box aint workin.(photobucket)errors
    Attached Images

STS_Seville_Hunter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 ETC, 91 STS, 98 Eldo Convertable, '93 Seville

Fairly rare colour that is a gorgeous Seville

U r the Man...that is Beautiful. Is there a section that i'm supposed to read to learn what u just did. I read the "facts" guide on posting images. Didn't work.
    Thanks. Now everyone knows I'm not insane.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BayArea
    http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/An...tcher/library/

I'm usually pretty computer savvy. But, this copying the URL under the individual pictures to the "upload" box aint workin.(photobucket)errors
    For future reference, you need to post the IMG code, to the right if the image. Just clicking it should automatically "copy" it.

Pretty car, but the stock rims would make it look just right.
    Cadillac_Fan, orconn and bwv565 like this.

I'll have to continue to work on photobucket tommorow. I clicked the word "IMG" on the rt. side of the page inside the box with other URL's. It showed "copied". I then did a "paste" in the upload rectangle box of my "manage album" page...clicked upload........invalid file...must have that doggone car on my mind. Thanks.

Forget the album on this site. the size limit is very small for unpaid accounts. After you copy the IMG code, just paste it in your post/reply.

Gotcha. Thanks

delerium75 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 STS, 1992 Fleetwood, 1987 Maxima wagon

Yeah I'd expect a perfect car....the door moldings are going to take some looking for sure (at least a state or two away to find a car that hasn't been crushed yet). The grille wreath and crest can be bought on ebay for $100+/- if you know the part number you're looking for. And while the wheels look nice, I like the forged factory wheels myself. A thorough carpet and leather cleaning will no doubt help and it's good to see the clear coat isn't peeling. Headliner replaced?
    bwv565 likes this.

Aaaahh...got some answers for that. Pop's took the emblem off grill cuz he liked the license plate emblem better. My Mom's sitter opened the Van door last month and knocked a "piece" of the door moulding off. It's on the back seats floor with the epoxy. And the carpet is fresh shampooed, jus has that old '88 carpet "look". When I looked up the headliner looked fine. Nobody likes the rims, guess it's a matter of taste. I wouldn't want the car with the factory rims. BUT...I agree withcha that closer to perfection is what we want for $5k. It seems the mechanical uncertainty's are the issue here. The Engine nor transmission ever cracked open is the deal breaker. It's "time" for something to go out on this car. Probably needs timing chain, oil pump etc. he's gotta factor all that into the selling price. He's going completely sentimental on the price request. Wants the money he invested over the years. That ain't how it works. I'll chat all this newfound info. To him and update u'all.

It is most likely "time" for some things to be replaced, but the oil pump and timing chain are probably not amongst them.

I wouldn't offer more than $3,000/3,200.

OKay, thanks. I'll go to him armed with all this information. Now I can haggle the price like I know what I'm talkin about.

Okay, I promise to end this thread(and open a new one when I buy this car)if someone can give me the SHORT LISTof what needs to be addressed right away on a '88 Seville's engine/transmission, with 145,000 miles. Fuel injectors, EGR etc.,etc.....

Whatever's broken or worn. Absolutely no way to come up with a list of what THAT car NEEDS.

However, a list of things it would need if nothing's ever been touched - belts, hoses, ALL fluids, plugs/wires/cap/rotor.Most likely struts and some suspension bushings.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.