Transmission fluid leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Transmission fluid leak in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; What is the best way to trace down a transmission fluid leak? I have a rather large one... Each morning ...
    vincent12773 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS

Transmission fluid leak

What is the best way to trace down a transmission fluid leak? I have a rather large one... Each morning I back my car out of the garage(not a drop under it while sitting in the garage), it leaves quite a stream. Everything below is wet underneath but I can tell it is coming from the drivers side somewhere. I am doubting it has anything to do with reverse since it doesn't do it later in the day. It seems to "build up" overnight and run off when I back out. I tried to see if it was building up on a frame rail or something but I couldn't find anything. Even put the front end up on ramps one night to see if that would cause it to run out. It didn't! I'm perplexed! I thought maybe someone ran into the same thing and might have a direction to push me into... Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

accuab is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville SLS
    Possibly 3rd gear output shaft. Lots of cash in the future to correct if it is.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Transmission fluid leak

Best thing to do is get it up on a lift to do a good inspection.

amunderdog is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

For such a problem I try to clean everything up.
    Then get a flashlight and thoroughly inspect the areas.
    May take several inspections to locate the problem.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Left side axle seal, but it's not the seal.

3rd clutch housing bushing.

Look at the left side axle seal, where the axle shaft enters the transmission. Directly below the seal if the case looks "too clean" below the seal, that's where the leak is coming from.

The transmission might have run low on fluid at one time taking out the bushing.

Make sure you have fluid in the unit with it fully warmed up to the specifications marks on the trans level stick.

Shut off the vehicle and jack up the front of the vehicle and support it on jack stands.

Restart the vehicle and turn the wheels all the way right.

Now, unfortunately sit there and wait until you see the fluid "pumped out" past the seal.

If this is the case, either you're fixing yours at 800-1200/ rebuilding the whole unit or swapping in a salvage one......

Either way, good luck

vincent12773 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS

Thanks 98 Eldo. I'll check it out this weekend. What does turning the wheels to the right do, put stress on the bushing? And does it make any sense that there are no dripps overnight but it appears to "build up" somewhere and when I start it and back up it leaks alot and leaves a big line of fluid? It's a substantial amount. then, when I stop to look under, it stops?

I'm assuming by what you are saying that the bushing is not replaceable with the transmission on the car?

Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.