Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Steering problems

755 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  LuborK 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi! My good old Seville was still working perfectly till last week. We started to have colder weather (like 37 degrees in morning) and once I realized my Seville is making weird noise which seemed to be noise of failing power steering pump. Car behaved correctly but I was able to feel power steering lacks its power sometimes. I checked power steering fluid and I was not even able to see fluid level, looked like empty. Because it was weekend I had to drive about 150 miles home and next day bought power steering fluid, added to the reservoir and after several steering wheel revolutions from left to right and vice versa weird sound were not present.
I used the car regularly being happy problem was solved so easily but it was premature feeling. This weekend I found there is something really wrong with the steering, because:
1) noises appeared again, the same as before
2) I checked the reservoir, it was full but color of fluid was brown and it was full of bubbles (see pic)
3) the space between engine block and car body (the part of the engine with pulleys etc.) was besprinkled with the brown fluid. As reservoir and cap were rather clean I do not suppose fluid was escaping through cap
4) when turning steering wheel, clunking type noise could be heard. Not always, but when turned wheels from full left to full right, there is about 20-30% chance to hear that noise
5) this is most terrifying - car stationary, having wheels almost straight, turning steering wheel to the left makes right part of the vehicle to RISE about inch or two, at the place right above wheel. This behavior was easily reproducible, with right part rising smoothly during turning the steering wheel as if there was some peak, which reached, right part was descending smoothly back again when I continued to turn steering wheel. When both sides of the car were at the normal level, turning steering wheel back caused the same, smooth rise and smooth descent of the right side. I was looking under hood with my daughter turning steering wheel but even though passenger's side rose again, I was not able to observe anything unusual except the fact passenger side rose - no visible, obvious fluid leaks, no visible cause of rising.

I carefully drove back to home, hearing clunking noises sometimes, parked vehicle and I am going to call my serviceman to look at it. But although he is very skillful, he has no previous experience with Cadillacs (and the only official Cadillac repair center in our country was closed several years ago), I would like to have at least some tips what could be wrong and what to focus on.

Thanks very much for any tips or help.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Hello, I just returned from the garage. Problem seems to be obvious. High pressure hose from power steering leaks. No extra challenge, should be AC DELCO part #19147592.
Inner rubber seal is also punctured, nothing special, should be AC DELCO #88910809 (please check me if I am wrong).

But the worst part is something I would call broken steering mount bracket (?). I am sorry I have limited knowledge of technical terms but it is the metal ring which holds rack (?) part to the car frame. Please look at the attached photo. I would like to ask about this part number because I am not able to find what that is. Seems ten years of service on our roads took its prey.

BTW the "inner rubber seal" I mentioned above is also visible on the pic.

Thanks a lot for help.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.