Another stalling Seville.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Another stalling Seville. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Been a while since I've had to post about my Caddy acting up(thank the car gods), but she is getting ...
    BAM19040 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville SLS

Another stalling Seville.

Been a while since I've had to post about my Caddy acting up(thank the car gods), but she is getting moody again. Thanks to the forums I replaced my burnt out starter with ease last week and now she fires right up. But now she is stalling at red lights and today it stalled for the first time while decelerating to a stop. It was doing this prior to me changing out the starter but it has only started doing this maybe 5 thousand miles ago? It does not do it all the time, maybe once or twice a day, and I do almost all stop and go driving. At first it wouldn't throw any codes but today, I got some! And they are...
    DTC P1599 Engine Stall or Near Stall Detected
    DTC P1520 Transmission Range Switch Circuit
    DTC P1350 Ignition Control System
    DTC P1375 IC 24X Reference Circuit High Voltage
    Another thing I noticed it took it 2-3 cranks before it started back up after stalling while idling in my driveway for about 1-2 minutes, and it was kind of a sluggish fire up and I had no movement of the tac needle until I restarted it.
    I have very recently put new plugs(delcos, but I did not get new wires. It had bosche's in when I bought it and they needed to go), cleaned out the TB, EGR, IAC, and checked the vacuum lines.
    Have not checked fuel pressure during stall but FPR is dry when I pull off the line. Have not checked fuel filter either.
    Voltage stays steady above 14v during stall.
    I'm just wondering whats next? Crank sensors? Cam sensors? Coils? Wires?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

deleee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Seville

Re: Another stalling Seville.

Hi, I have a 93 Seville SLS. I think this sounds similar to my problem. She was throwing Voltage too high code. some times INFL REST (air bag light) and every once in a while stop for no reason. I figured it must be electrical. Well I over looked the obvious. Does it seem to happen when your gas is low? Turned out to be my fuel pump.(some wires are there too) I got it changed and al the lights and bells stopped but the car doesn't !

Well, the INFL REST light returned. Doesn't stall though. Guess I need to check the electrical after all.

I had just under half a tank in it today when it was doing it. I also had bad/weak fuel pump in my head, but im praying not. I do have a bad habit of running it low before I fill it back up..I also have an airbag code pertaining to the passanger side pre-tensioner. I never would have thought that would be connected to this in any way..?

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

It's possible you have a failing CKP senor. They don't always set a DTC, but the pre-2000's are not known for failures like the 2000+'s. Based on those P1375 &P1350 codes I would suspect a bad ICM.

See the ICM Sticky in the Northstar forum for more info on how it works.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Did you make sure the ICM ground was on under the coil packs when you changed the plugs in the rear bank?

el_dorado_mex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 El Dorado and 1991 Cheyenne Pickup
    Had the same codes (1350 and 1375) when my ckp's were bad. Also thought of icm first, turned out not to be that... So most likely ckp imho. Might also come with rev meter not working...

It seems to be doing it more often the pass couple days. I think I'm going to throw crank sensors in it tomorrow and pray that helps. Should I replace both of them? And what's the easiest way to get to them?

el_dorado_mex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 El Dorado and 1991 Cheyenne Pickup
    Replacing both is recommended, with ac delco ones. You'll have to remove the oil cooler, have some new o rings at hand... Pretty straight forward job, just not much space... Good luck

Always do both. I got both of mine from Amazon for about $77 incl shipping.

There is no easy way. Drop the lower air deflector. Then remove the oil filter adapter. Then the CKP sensors are a bit more accessible, but it's still a tight fit. You'll need a long extension and a universal joint.

There should be at least one tutorial in the Tech Tips section.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Grr. Kids grand prix had tach drop to zero. Motor is running ok for now. Turns out gp 3.8 also has rare crank sensor issue too. And u need to remove balancer to change sensor.

No good. My caddy runs like a dream minus this stalling bulltucky I'm dealing with. Short story, I started a new job last night and my car stalled while pulling IN to the parking lot. I crank it back up and literally drive 50 ft. through the lot and it stalls again as I'm coasting towards a spot to park. Two stalls within the length of a McDonalds drive through, right in front of all the new people I'm about to meet. Good first impression huh? I ordered the sensors so I'm waiting on those to arrive and I'm then I'm going to tackle the job. I'll report back when the job is done with some hopefully positive news. Might take me a while though, Wisconsin is gettin' chilly and I hate working on cars when it's cold. Hell, we're expecting snow next week! I need to invest in a heated garage. Thanks again for the help everyone.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    ANY garage is nice in winter.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    ^^Why?^^

Just an update. I have the sensors but I have not changed them yet. I park my caddy for winter so I planned on doing it once the snow fell. I'm still stalling every now and then, but I've grown to rev it up a little at stops so it doesn't die. I got on the gas a little bit today and P0101 code popped up and my car started running like crap. That code is a MAF code. Could that have been the problem all along? Like I said I have cleaned everything spotlessly and am still stalling and now getting the MAF code. Do I get a new MAF and hold off on the CKPs to see if that stops the stalling? I can reset the codes and it runs like a champ again until I rev it up pass 5k rpms and the MAF code pops.

A bad MAF sensor can cause a stall I believe.

I don't know how you can rev it to 5K when the rev limiter is set to 4K.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.