Mint 1994 STS - to buy or not to buy?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Mint 1994 STS - to buy or not to buy? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a chance to purchase a mint 1994 STS with the 4.6 ltr Northstar engine. The car has 172,000kms. ...
    kompressor1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 deville

Mint 1994 STS - to buy or not to buy?

I have a chance to purchase a mint 1994 STS with the 4.6 ltr Northstar engine.
    The car has 172,000kms.

the seller is asking $4500

Is this a reliable caddy?

what about the asking price?

Any concerns with with engine?

Thanks
    Brad.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: Mint !994 STS ? to buy or not to buy?

That’s allot of money...the price for a '94 with 172K is $2500.
    Reliable…is very cheap to purchase a Cadillac (anybody can buy one), is not so cheap to keep it.
    The original price of the car was ~$50K, all the parts (and trust me it has allot of parts) are priced for the $50K.
    These are very complex cars, there are thing that will go wrong that most other cars don't even have.
    Here are some of the most common issues:
    1. Oil leak (bottom end), that is a minimum of $2000 (the engine must be removed from the car to get access). You can leave with it if it doesn't bother though.
    2. Suspension, ONE strut alone is ~$750 (yes just one of the 4 you have).
    3. Compressor for ELC (Electronic Leveling Control) new is ~$450
    4. If the car was messed with (add aftermarket stuff) you will have an endless amount of electrical issues.

I would not purchase a '94, in '96 they change it massively (although outside it looks the same), and in my opinion the '96-'97 interior is much better looking.
    From my experience there are no "mint" STSs left, or at least not for sale, you may be the 1 in a million to find one, by now all were beaten to death and are one step away from the wreckyard.
    Most of the parts were LONG discontinued and there is no aftermarket support or parts shared with other GM vehicles. Even worst, since these are so much different vehicles than the usual GM offering, you will have hard time to find qualified mechanics.
    The engine is supposed to be tuned once every 100K (change sparkplugs, and wires) and the vehicle you are looking at either has been done recently or is a bit overdue. Other than that (and usual oil change and coolant change) there is no other things that need to be done.
    You will see 100 people after me talking about head gasket this, head gasket that. The true is (per my experience) is just an over inflated issue, these engine are not affected by the HG issue more than any other aluminum engine. The difference is because is a Cadillac and is a big engine in a small engine bay, will require removal of the engine and that again is expensive (>$2500). The issue is not common, not even close to what you will be told, however is VERY common among the cars for sale (this is why are for sale, owner can't afford to fix it so is passing the issue to another sucker).

Bottom line:
    Cheap to buy very expensive to own due to the complexity of the vehicle (not that is not reliable, just that are so many things that can go wrong compared with much simpler vehicles).
    Very difficult to find parts for it (and are kind of pricey compared with what you would expect).
    Very difficult to find competent mechanics (especially engine and electrics).
    Do not buy a vehicle that has aftermarket stuff on it, basically the one you want is the one that looks exactly as in the day it left the factory (so aftermarket sound system, remote starter, alarm, suspension are thing to really stay away from).

This is not the car that you just happened to stumble upon and buy it, is the car you will have to want for long time and have the financial resources to own it.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: Mint 1994 STS - to buy or not to buy?

**** Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln how was the show!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

There is no such thing as a "mint" 1994 (20 year old) STS with 103,400 miles on it. ~Fair condition, maybe - just maybe.

kompressor1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 deville

Ok thanks
    I will stay away from that one,
    Thank you

Btw

I just read a local add for a 1999 STS for sale.
    $1500
    The add says it has the Northstar engine, same owner for the past 9 years, has 345,000kms on the original engine and transmission. The add also says that no repairs have been done to the engine or transmission.
    What do you think of that?

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor1 View Post
    Ok thanks
    I will stay away from that one,
    Thank you

Btw

I just read a local add for a 1999 STS for sale.
    $1500
    The add says it has the Northstar engine, same owner for the past 9 years, has 345,000kms on the original engine and transmission. The add also says that no repairs have been done to the engine or transmission.
    What do you think of that?
    Acoording to our poll, and thread history. The 99's have the highest failure rate for head gaskets.

And at $1500 wuth " no engine repairs" thats just begging for trouble

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

For start ALL '93-'04 STS had Northstar engine. So nothing special about car is if advertised as having the Nothstar engine.

A '99 with 345000Km is pretty much beaten to death. I mean the engine is fine goes for long, but the engine only costs a couple of thousands (worst case scenario) whereas everything else (and I am mainly focusing on suspension) is allot more if you want it original. At that mileage the suspension (shock/struts/ELC) is beyong gone if never serviced.
    Original sticker price was $55K+, you get it for $1.5K, the difference is the cost of repairs you will have to sustain if you intend to drive it further.

I mean mileage may not be anything but number, my car is very close to 300000 km, but I spent this year alone ~$10K in repairs I would not sell my car for $1.5K for sure (in fact I would not sell it period).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.