More of my "luck"...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, More of my "luck"... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I pulled onto the highway earlier, drove a couple of miles, and while doing ~65 MPH, I heard a BANG, ...
    MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I pulled onto the highway earlier, drove a couple of miles, and while doing ~65 MPH, I heard a BANG, followed by about 3 seconds of loud ticking/clacking noises, and finally a LOUD metallic slap against the bottom of the car. I thought I ran something over, but didn't see anything in the rear view mirror. Then I just had a feeling... I stepped on the brake - nothing .

I moved into the break down lane, and tried a couple more times. After several presses, pedal pressure returned, along with a grinding and vibration from the rear. I wasn't going to wait for a tow, because around here that means a minimum of an hour wait, and ~$150 from where I was. Got off at the next exit, drove the 5 or so miles home slowly, using mostly engine braking.

The right, rear, outer brake pad material sheared off of the backing plate. The outer edge of the rotor's a mess, there's a gouge, it's done.

$222 for 2 new rotors and a set of pads. It'll have to sit for 3-5 days until they're delivered.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    I pulled onto the highway earlier, drove a couple of miles, and while doing ~65 MPH, I heard a BANG, followed by about 3 seconds of loud ticking/clacking noises, and finally a LOUD metallic slap against the bottom of the car. I thought I ran something over, but didn't see anything in the rear view mirror. Then I just had a feeling... I stepped on the brake - nothing .

I moved into the break down lane, and tried a couple more times. After several presses, pedal pressure returned, along with a grinding and vibration from the rear. I wasn't going to wait for a tow, because around here that means a minimum of an hour wait, and ~$150 from where I was. Got off at the next exit, drove the 5 or so miles home slowly, using mostly engine braking.

The right, rear, outer brake pad material sheared off of the backing plate. The outer edge of the rotor's a mess, there's a gouge, it's done.

$222 for 2 new rotors and a set of pads. It'll have to sit for 3-5 days until they're delivered.
    You PM r1? Theyll cut you a deal. Hlad yoir safe

Already ordered the EBCs, RedStuff and Ultimax slotted rotors. Plus I have them on the front as well. I think they're just over a year old. They were great otherwise.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: More of my "luck"...

Ohhhh another episode of "As The Cabbage turns..."
    Lucky it happened where and when it did, can't recall a pad shearing off before... you do have all the luck.
    MoistCabbage likes this.

ELDO GUY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2K ELDO WHITE DIAM , 2K TURBO BUG ,69 VETTE ZZ4 2014 CTS

Funny I just had that happen to me , but the backing plate also flew out of the Caliper shortly after the pad left , not good I had to use the caliper piston as a brake pad till I got home . Not good , needless to say I needed a new caliper to.

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01
    Ohhhh another episode of "As The Cabbage turns..."
    Oh my got that's HIKARIOUS!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ELDO GUY
    Funny I just had that happen to me , but the backing plate also flew out of the Caliper shortly after the pad left , not good I had to use the caliper piston as a brake pad till I got home . Not good , needless to say I needed a new caliper to.
    That happened to me with my Accord.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

WOW! First time I've ever heard of that happening and only a year old? What brand where they?

EBC RedStuff.

1 year/10,000 mile warranty with proof of mileage. So mine were out of warranty.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
    Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01
    Ohhhh another episode of "As The Cabbage turns..." Lucky it happened where and when it did, can't recall a pad shearing off before... you do have all the luck.
    I really hate to say this but damm glad I don't have the seville because I think the only reason this happened to mc was because I didn't have my sls anymore with the Same rotors and pads as u. Or it probably would have happened to me

----------

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    EBC RedStuff. 1 year/10,000 mile warranty with proof of mileage. So mine were out of warranty.
    Did u call ebc ?i can't belive they would pull the 1yr 10k. On you this has to be a manufactore defect

I was going to, but I did the install myself, so I don't even have proof of mileage.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Not bad actually! Knowing the history of your "luck", this time you were kinda lucky that you could get away with just $222!

Yeah, I know. It probably means something else is going to break soon.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Hey, Moist cabbage, I know a guy in Moscow that has the head guy of the Russian Orthodox Church's Fleetwood, maybe you could get him to sell it to you. I understand it comes with many blessings .... which you could apparently use!

~15 years ago, my mothers boyfriend jokingly sprinkled holy water onto a car she'd just gotten, for good luck. ..... The next day, she got laid off for over a year.....

No blessed cars for me, thanks.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Product failure and a ridiculous warranty....and you are willing to give the company repeat business?!?!? To each their own, but I see no good reason to purchase another set of the same parts.
    2kflhr and Submariner409 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.