More of my "luck"... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, More of my "luck"... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was happy with the performance of the setup, and I read many reviews before O purchased them, never heard ...
    MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I was happy with the performance of the setup, and I read many reviews before O purchased them, never heard of the problem (or any problems really) with the brand.

I'm sure it was just a freak defect.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: More of my "luck"...

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    Product failure and a ridiculous warranty....and you are willing to give the company repeat business?!?!? To each their own, but I see no good reason to purchase another set of the same parts.
    Hard to argue with that line of thinking. It surely must say something about the quality. Like I said, I have NEVER heard of anything like that before (not that that means much), but brake pads are not something you should EVER expect to fail, nor should they.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

I've seen the absolute cheapest brake pads on the planet wear down to ultra thin that was almost to the metal and not come off....does make me wonder about the quality of those.
    98eldo32v likes this.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

I've seen it happen, but only on really old pads where rust has creeped behind the backing plate and heaved the pad off.
    Submariner409 likes this.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    Product failure and a ridiculous warranty....and you are willing to give the company repeat business?!?!? To each their own, but I see no good reason to purchase another set of the same parts.
    I had them on my sls for over a year i got 35 k on the Front pads before having to replace them and 30 on the rear they only rant out at 30 due to a hanging up caliper so had to replace them then

but they wore great treated me great stopped perfect and sounded awesome

i don't blame MC for giving them another shot

i just wish they made rear pads for my lexus they only make front pads that sucks

New brakes are on. Had to stop half way through to get new retainers. The friction material tore both up on it's way out of the caliper. It also must have hit the wire for the pad wear sensor and pulled it, the little plastic puck was mostly in place, but cracked. It won't stay in the new pad, I'll have to replace it. The rest of the pads looked like they had about 1/3 of their useful life left on them.

...And, one of the Gorilla lug nuts that came with my rims has been replaced with a USED OEM one. The only place that's had the wheels off was the dealer, a few weeks ago, while diagnosing my rear control arm bushings.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Simply remove the (rear) pad wear sensors, jumper the chassis harness, and forget about them - the fronts will wear down long before the rears anyway.

1/3 life left
    ??? Something's fishy - my Redstuffs have been in there for 2.5 years, subjected to all sorts of high speed abuse, and they're not even close to beginning to wear ...................

I know the sensors are useless if the car is properly inspected/maintained, but I just like everything "correct" and functional. The wire isn't cut, I have it zip tied out of the way. Next time I have $20 burning a hole in my pocket...

TP only got ~20K out of his pads. I'm about there now. there's NO rubbing going on, the calipers slide effortlessly on the pins. Probably just a mixture of a lot of city driving, AND high speed abuse.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Simply remove the (rear) pad wear sensors, jumper the chassis harness, and forget about them - the fronts will wear down long before the rears anyway.

1/3 life left
    ??? Something's fishy - my Redstuffs have been in there for 2.5 years, subjected to all sorts of high speed abuse, and they're not even close to beginning to wear ...................
    Your car is the classic garage queen with a cushy life in comparison to almost every other car here that slaves as a DD. Using your car as a benchmark for...anything related to longevity or real world durability...won't work.

That said, I do agree that is incredibly short time, even for a hard driven DD. How many miles approximately? I'm still amazed you were ready, cash in fist, to buy another set right after premature failure and no warranty coverage. What makes them worth the headache and expense? What is the motivation to try them again, even if it was just a fluke when there are other manufacturers offering known quality parts (and willing to make you whole when the occasional fluke does occur)?

EDIT: I just saw another member only got 20k on a set...what a crock! Unbelievable that they are so coveted when even the original OEM parts far outperform them!

No offense intended here, just don't understand... "screw me once, shame on you - screw me twice, shame on me!"
    Submariner409 likes this.

I'm not sure if EBC would have replaced the pads and rotor/s or not, I never contacted them. I needed the car fully drivable ASAP, so I just ordered them and payed out of pocket. I didn't feel like waiting for someone to make a decision.

Why go with them again? Because I was happy with every aspect of the brakes. Maybe there's a better setup out there for these cars, but I'd rather not chance a couple of hundred dollars trying another brand out. Plus, I'd have had to change the fronts as well. I don't want mismatched brakes.

Just under 20K miles on the pads. I'd be satisfied with ~30K out of them. They really are tortured when I drive close to home.

1 out of 8 pads had a problem, it doesn't put me off of the brand.
    ...My '97 SLS developed HG issues at 67K... and I'm still driving a Cadillac .

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    I know the sensors are useless if the car is properly inspected/maintained, but I just like everything "correct" and functional. The wire isn't cut, I have it zip tied out of the way. Next time I have $20 burning a hole in my pocket...
    It happens that I have a fresh pair of sensors occupying space in my garage. They "might be" the appropriate wire length for the fronts, I do not remember. The package says part #18040234 and there is approximately 10.5" inches of wire between the sensor and the connector.

You pay the freight plus a (very) small contribution to my retirement fund and they are yours.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Talking about holly water, in the area I grew up it was almost mandatory, if you buy a new car you go to the priest and sprinkle some holly water on it. The fancier/expensive the car the longer distance you travel to a larger church to get the holly water on the car.
    Anyway I was kid back then and my parents bought some new car and obviously was mandatory to get the holly water on it before removing the protecting wrap over the seats and all.
    I remember breaking down half way into the mountains going to some famous monastery.
    My father ended up walking down the road few miles to the last town before the mountain pass to find a mechanic (it was like 15 years before main stream cell phones.
    Meanwhile I found that the no start situation was caused by the main lead falling off from the ignition coil (3 days old car).
    For some reason the coil was mounted on those vehicles with the lead side down, get in a couple of potholes and the lead was loose. Everybody was turning the coil 180 for a lead side up; it was the first thing you suppose to do when getting the car home (so we found out).
    That was some fun trip...

Don’t think once the car was sprinkled it worked out…
    That car was breaking a lot, last stroke was when they went to buy a new car to replace this one (a couple of year later), the old car broke down on the way back while following the new car home. Turned out the insulator broke loose over the contact breaker inside the distributor. We found out when my father sent his driver to recover the car next day. We actually had a spare contact breaker in the car (it was normal for that car) but late in the evening (early spring – fairly cold) it was the last thing you would check.

Now back to the brake stuff…
    I had pads slightly bowing on me (once there was almost no friction material on you could see the indentation from the caliper piston), but never had friction material delaminating. I was actually contemplating to get EBC at some point…I stayed OEM.

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

I just had a rear brake pad shear off on my 2000 STS last weekend, the entire section of brake material was gone, and there was no real wear on the backing plate itself, so I know the pad material came off and wasn't warn off. It was the drivers side outer pad, by the time I got to it, the rotor was wasted, so yesterday the car got two new rear rotors, and a new set of Akebono ceramic pads. All the other pads on the rear had at lead 1/4" of material left and the wear sensors in the inner pads had not even started to touch the rotor yet. Pads have probably been on the car 2 years, and maybe 30K miles.

Unrelated to the brakes, but figured this thread title was appropriate.

Just bought a set of tires a week or so ago, very happy with them...

On my way home from the dentist yesterday, took a different road home than usual. The sun was setting, perfect angle to be right in my eyes. Hit a BIG pothole. Bubble in the right front tire half the size of my
    Fist. Starting from the bead, going ~1/2" into the tread....
    The tire is under road hazzard warranty, but I'm not sure if the rim is damaged. Having it checked later.

Oh... And I need 2 root canals, yay.

9302Eldug is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 and 02 Eldorado

Instead of Holy Water I think that you need an Exorcist! Hope that your luck changes for the better.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.