92' STS no crank problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 92' STS no crank problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a STS that has been setting all summer and today when I went to start it the battery ...
    wk4036 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 Seville STS

92' STS no crank problem

I have a STS that has been setting all summer and today when I went to start it the battery was dead so I put the charger on it for most of the day and when I went to start it the normal lights come on in the instrument cluster doing the tests but it won't crank. Another thing I noticed is that nothing shows in the information window and the bottom of the cluster.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

STS_Seville_Hunter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 ETC, 91 STS, 98 Eldo Convertable, '93 Seville

Re: 92' STS no crank problem

Try a new battery.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

What is the voltage both static and while attempting to crank? Chances are you have a dead cell.

I will try a know good battery and report back

Well I put the tester on the battery and it shows 13 volts static and while turning the key to start, the dash lights dim while turning the key but there is no voltage going to the small wire that engages the starter solenoid.

Not sure about the dash lights, but if the headlamps dim, it probably is a dead cell.

Are you saying you have zero voltage while cranking? You should still have about 9 or 10 with 1 dead cell.

The voltmeter at the battery hardly moves when key is turned to start position but dash lights dim, also checked the smaller wire at the started solenoid that actuates the solenoid and there is no voltage when the key is turned to the start position.

Sounds like it might be a bad starter switch (not the lock cylinder) down on the column.

RetiredSFC 97 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS

Well, what happened? Any progress? In my opinion it's the battery or the starter and/or wires to starter. I can't count the number of batteries I've had that tested good and they were bad. Went through it this past winter with my tractor. It made me mad trying to find the problem until I said the heck with it and went and bought a new battery. Solved it. What made it worse was I had some mice chew up some wires around the instrument cluster so who wouldn't think that's where the problem was? I changed that out and still no dice. Then bought a new battery.

I just had this same issue on my Dodge Pick up. Oreilly said the batt was good and didn't want to honor a warranty I had on the battery. I took them the pick up and they tested the alt and it was good so they reluctantly honored the warranty. Problem solved.

Your car didn't die all on it's own just from sitting. It's a starter or batt issue, or both, or a wire somewhere that got chewed up by a mouse is my opinion.

Well I finally got a chance to fiddle with it again and put my remote starter button on the starter and also found out that even though a battery checks good it may not be so I put a new battery in it and it will crank with the remote button and start for about 2 seconds and then die and if I turn the key off and back to run it will run for about 2 seconds and die again but that is all the time I had to spend on it.

Have you checked your fuel pressure?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.