Parting with my beloved STS and farewell to you gents
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Parting with my beloved STS and farewell to you gents in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, I've never been a huge poster here, but have had three very happy years behind the wheel of ...
    N*BimmerGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS WDP F55, 1998 BMW 540i 6-spd

Parting with my beloved STS and farewell to you gents

Hey guys,

I've never been a huge poster here, but have had three very happy years behind the wheel of 2 "VIN 9" Northstar Caddies which is sadly about to come to an end, and just wanted to write a little something about my situation and to say farewell and explain why I'm parting with such a great vehicle. As my name suggests, I have another car in addition to my STS which is a 1998 BMW 540i 6-speed. It's been very interesting comparing the two DOHC V8's in my life - the BMW being a 4.4 liter and obviously the Cad being the 4.6 N*. With the BMW being RWD, manual, and lowered with coilovers, etc., it's certainly a different driving experience, but I still love hopping in the STS every time I get behind the wheel. Stock to Stock, I'd say the Northstar is more powerful higher end, and the BMW's M62 V8 has it beat as far as low-end torque goes. Both are ultra smooth and sound awesome.

I live in the Hudson Valley area, NY and our winters are just bad enough where the BMW simply wouldn't cut it, so I was seeking a FWD N* Caddy as a second car. I started out with a black-on-black '98 Deville Concours a few years ago, which I only had about 15 months until it was totalled by a girl who was texting and driving and smashed into me. With how well it protected me and how much I loved it, I decided to go for another Cadillac as a second car, and this time it would really be the one I wanted since I was in middle school - a 5th-gen Seville, the STS in particular. Mine is a WDP 2002 that I've added tints, HID's, and OEM 17" wheels (since it didn't have that package stock). It currently has 112k and has had a new trans (due to the dreaded P0741 code), new shocks, new steering rack, dashboard integration module, and more. It kills me to do it, but I've been yearning for some sort of a powerful, manual-transmission wagon for a while since I do a lot of kayaking, biking, camping, and road trips. Due to using my STS for lots of these tasks, I've snapped swaybar end links and such, and really can't transport bikes, kayaks, etc. or sleep in it when I have to in certain camping situations, so I realized it might be time to finally look for the very specific wagon that would satisfy me.

While I'm a total Cadillac enthusiast, and it hurts to part with it, I did find the perfect, rare wagon for me - a 2003 Audi Allroad Quattro with the 2.7 twin turbo V6 and the near-impossible-to-find 6-speed manual transmission. I'm sure this will be just as much maintenance or more than the Cadillac, but hey, might as well get what I want, right?

I'm sorry if I'm boring y'all, but I just figured I'd write a little dedication to my enjoyment of the Northstar Caddies over the past few years. I am most likely picking up the Audi next Wednesday (85k miles), and I'm trading in the STS. As we all know, if you love these Caddies, maintain them well, and then go to trade them in (and worst of all, and I'm a car salesman!), you are bound to take a loss. The dealer is offering me $2,800 for my car which is definitely more than they go through auction for, but still very low considering the $4,500 I've put into it mechanically. Anyways, I figured I'd let anyone that might be near the HV area of NY know that I have about 4 days before I get rid of it, and I'd need about $3,500 for my car to do better than the dealer (after the sales tax benefit) in case anyone is interested.

My last few days with it will be nice. I will make the Northstar sing, I will enjoy features that I'm going to lose such as the power tilt/telescoping wheel and that fantastic Bose stereo. My beast will be sorely missed, and hopefully it ends up going to an owner that will take care of it and love it as much as I did. I hope you guys continue to enjoy your Northstars - rack up those miles, keep them clean and running well, and enjoy the hell out of 'em. Thank you all for your knowledge and help since I've been a member of this great forum. N*BimmerGuy Out-

Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: Parting with my beloved STS and farewell to you gents

I have a feeling you'll be back. In the meantime..............

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I hope you have better luck with your Audi than I did, and may friends did, with theirs. The Avant is an attractive package, but they get hard to live with when everything starts breaking!

N*BimmerGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS WDP F55, 1998 BMW 540i 6-spd

@ Ranger - Thank you, I appreciate it and I think you're right. This will not be the last Northstar-powered vehicle I ever own, I'll be back

@Orconn - Yes, I think you're right. I'm a little scared of the 2.7 twin turbo engine, but at the same time, I'm ready to tackle some PITA DIY's as it only helps me learn, plus this is just such a unique car for me. I really had the itch for a wagon, but wanted a 6-speed manual as my BMW spoiled me with that, and wanted some nice power as the Northstar spoiled me with that! It seems to do everything I want, so if I can keep it running well, I think it will make me happy and be very functional for me with regards to my hobbies.

At the same time, nothing will replace the smooth-as-glass ride, the muscular yet modern looks of the 5th-gen Seville, and the overall feel of the car and power/sound of the Northstar. WDP was not my first choice, so perhaps some years down the road that perfect Crimson Red '03 STS will surface with low mileage, and I will snag it .

STSClint is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS 1SB, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Platinum

BEWARE of the All Road's suspension system. It is WORSE than the CVRSS suspension because when it breaks everything goes. My boss had one and it was a complete nightmare, I'm always leery of foreign cars since my VW. Best of luck to you however!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.