Fuel gauge problem - 2001 Seville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Fuel gauge problem - 2001 Seville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, I just recently purchased a 2001 Cadillac Seville and not much is wrong with it. One of the problems ...
    robfitzgibbon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville

Unhappy Fuel gauge problem - 2001 Seville

Hi, I just recently purchased a 2001 Cadillac Seville and not much is wrong with it. One of the problems though is that the fuel gauge does read at all. It never moves and it's always on E. So it makes me think that the fuel sending unit is possibly not the problem. Everybody Else's posts about having a fuel gauge problem indicate that theirs jumps up and down. I have gone through the error codes and I have a PCM P0463 which indicates a High Fuel Level Sensor Voltage if I'm correct? What i'm thinking is a wire rusted out somewhere but I have no idea where to look for it..? Can anybody help me out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Fuel gauge problem - 2001 Seville

Your car has a fuel pump module access hatch in the trunk floor - right forward of the spare tire well. Under that hatch is the top of the entire pump module with the fuel lines (quick connects), electrical connector (4 pin - pump and fuel level sender), and tank pressure sensor.

Pictures of the module in my albums - click my username, open the profile. Left column - 2 albums, 6 pages of stuff for your car.

Study the Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar. Read each sticky in forums of interest.

Welcome Aboard !!!

Thanks for the reply Submarniner! I've gotten to where you're talking about, although I don't see any problems with the wires at first glance..should I try and take them out and plug them back in? I'm scared if I unplug them my fuel pump will stop working, sorry I'm far from a mechanic :P

And will do! I've been reading up on it now but have some more to go. Thanks a lot!

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The fuel pump isn't going to fail from unplugging it. You'll just be unplugging an electric motor that's turned off.

That said, unless there's just some light corrosion on the pins, disconnecting and reconnecting it isn't going to help.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

You're in for a new sending unit. May as well just put a whole new assembly in while you're there.

Ok thank you guys! That's really what I wasn't hoping for but it is what it is...At least everything will be up and running after. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get the new parts in!

It's not that bad of a job, since you don't have to drop the tank.

........... and there are How-tos and pictures in the pages of Cadillac Tech Tips - down in Discussions, Item Specific.

I will definitely be looking at them when I do it! I just don't have the money at this moment in time, I have to wait until payday and I'll be buying the whole assembly.

Another question though, the catalytic converter was stolen on it I guess (before I purchased the car), and it releases these terrible fumes into my car. Carbon Monoxide, so I know I have to do something quick about it. Until I purchase a new converter, do you think maybe putting a straight pipe on there would help with the fumes? I know you're not supposed to legally do that and I know it's not good for the car, but something has to be done about the fumes until I get it fixed... What's the best route I could go with this?

The converter has nothing to do with carbon monoxide. But wait, if there's no cat, and no straight pipe, are you just running a totally open exhaust??

Hmm, I had always thought it was on there to help convert Carbon Monoxide to Carbon Dioxide? And I'm not sure to be honest, like I said I'm not much of a car person at all. So I'm going to take a picture of it, and upload it on here for you guys to look at...

Edit: So I can't get any pictures because I can't get a hold of my buddy to use his jack at this second, so basically what it looks like is the pipe comes down from the engine or whatever, goes down to about the middle of the car right about underneath the rear seats and then connects to a roundish looking bigger pipe (which I'm guessing is a shield or the converter, which is strange because he said it was stolen) and then comes out the back of that and then splits into the two exhausts ends. I'm gonna read through all the pictures and see what it's supposed to look like and let you know..

If it was open exhaust, you'd know it, it would be LOUD!

With the converter removed, the CEL should be illuminated.

The larger pipe you're seeing is probably the resonator.

Diagrams of your exhaust system (aftermarket) parts in Rock Auto. Original in the proper year/model, system/text page - click the More Info tab for the diagram in www.gmpartsgiant.com.

Front Y-pipe flange, flex coupling, cat, resonator, exhaust pipe, Y, mufflers, tips.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

My guess is that the converter was removed vs stolen. Either way, unless the exhaust terminates under the car vs at the rear, you should not be smelling anything, CAT or no CAT. If you are smelling exhaust fumes, you may have a leak.

P.S.
    The CAT does not convert carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide. "It reduces tailpipe emissions of hydrocarbons (HC) and carbon monoxide (CO) to extremely low levels".

Well without the car, there will be a stronger exhaust odor. But carbon monoxide is odorless, that's not what you're smelling. Sulfur is what most people smell most.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.